fbpx
Connect with us

News

Family of 4-year-old cancer kid booted from Ronald McDonald House thrilled with support

“At this point, all our needs are met, but we want to use that money to help others who are facing a similar situation,” said Austin.

mm

Published

on

Four-year-old Jack Furgason, his two-year-old brother Lewis and mother and father — Lindsey and Austin — were told they had until the end of January to vacate Vancouver’s Ronald McDonald House Canada (RMHC) for being unvaccinated.

But since the story broke, the Furgasons say they have been overwhelmed with the support they have received from around the world.

Jack was diagnosed with leukemia in September after he was struggling to walk while on a camping trip, Austin told the Western Standard.

Jack’s father said it took two separate doctor’s appointments to discover the leukemia and at the beginning of October, the family was flown from their home in Kelowna to BC Children’s Hospital in Vancouver where Jack was to stay for six to eight months of treatment.

While the father commuted back and forth from Kelowna to Vancouver in order to finish the last round of his electrical apprenticeship, the mother stayed with Jack and Lewis at Vancouvers’s RMHC a short distance from the children’s hospital.

“We loved it here,” Austin said, adding, “we participated in so many things like the door decorating contest over Christmas and all the fun things they planned here.”

Austin wrapped up his electrical apprenticeship training and joined the family at the RMHC in early January.

Within days of arriving, Austin said his wife came into the room crying on the evening of January 10 and was holding a letter in her hands.

The family had been served their eviction notice in the mailbox posted on the wall outside the room they had been staying in for more than three months while Jack went back and forth from the hospital for treatment three times per week.  

According to new policy adopted by RMHC, all those aged five and up staying in RHMC facilities across the country would need to be fully vaccinated or vacate the premises by January 31.

The Furgason family was devastated.

Austin said he and his wife decided to speak with the administration the next morning and did so while his wife recorded the interaction, which has now been widely shared across social media and other media outlets including Fox News in the US Wednesday evening.

“It’s just going too far,” said Austin of the RMHC policy.

“They are making people choose between their kids and a vaccine. I think that’s pretty messed up,” the father said.

Not realizing the lengths his Facebook posted video would reach, Austin said he, his wife and many others in their circles “prayed for God to intervene.”

“I’ve had other parents come up to me in here (RMHC) and thank me. Even people who are vaccinated but don’t agree with the unvaccinated being kicked out.”

“I just know if we didn’t make a stand this is going to just keep happening,” said Austin.

“We are exposing the hypocrisy. They say ‘my body – my choice.’ They say it’s for the safety of everyone but it’s been proven anyone can catch COVID and spread it. They just use us (unvaccinated) as a cop-out.”

Austin said he believes the segregation this is creating is “super dark.”

“I think the staff here are pretty upset by all this,” Austin told the Western Standard indicating the RMHC has been flooded with calls from people protesting the eviction of the Furgason family and others facing a similar situation.

“I didn’t tell all these people to call,” said Austin but added he is grateful for the rally of support he has seen.

Although the support has been positive for the most part, Austin said there has been some hate from a few.

“They say we are endangering our kids and other kids around us here, but that’s just not true,” said Austin.

“We care about all the kids here and have been doing what we can with masking and other things. We’re not some crazy conspiracy theorists who are trying to kill people. We have taken this very seriously,” Austin said of their time at RMHC.

Soon after the family learned of Jack’s cancer diagnosis, a friend of the Furgason family started a GoFundMe page to help raise money to go towards expenses the family incurred for Jack’s cancer treatment.

“A goal of $5,000 was set for the GoFundMe page and in three months it had hit $3,000,” Austin explained.

“But, after our video went viral, it jumped to over $80,000 in one day,” said Austin adding it was answer to prayer.

After being featured on Fox News and coverage continuing for the family’s situation, the GoFundMe currently sits at more than $152K.

“At this point, all our needs are met, but we want to use that money to help others who are facing a similar situation,” said Austin.

Austin shared some encouraging news he had received from their social worker before speaking with the Western Standard.

“She said we’ve been accepted at the Easter Seals house which is just a little further down the road from here (RMHC),” said Austin.

According to the Easter Seals House Health & Safety Policies, COVID-19 vaccinations are not mandatory to be accommodated.  Masking and social distancing along with frequent cleaning and COVID-19 screening remain in place in the house.

“The stress is over for us,” Austin said adding the family will make the move shortly once they’ve had a chance to “process everything.”

“Now we just want to get this story out. We want to help support others who are facing a similar eviction.”

Austin said the division he’s seen in Canada has been heartbreaking.

“It’s like we’re having an identity crisis as a nation,” he told the Western Standard.  

“People say they’re embarrassed to be Canadian. I mean look at our National Anthem — something that unites us all. God keep our land, glorious and free.

“How can we keep our land glorious and free if we kick God out of it.

“We need to remember our forefathers who founded this country and united us. We need to stop being divided over some crazy thing like a vaccine.”

The Western Standard contacted Ronald McDonald House Canada for comment on its vaccination policy but has not heard back.

Melanie Risdon is a reporter with the Western Standard
mrisdon@westernstandardonline.com

Melanie Risdon is a Calgary-based Reporter for the Western Standard. She has over 20 years experience in media at Global News, Rogers and Corus. mrisdon@westernstandardonline.com

Continue Reading
6 Comments

6 Comments

  1. Lee Morrison

    January 15, 2022 at 2:12 pm

    Interesting sense of entitlement. The Furgasons are happy to accept the charity of Ronald Macdonald House provided that they can set the rules. When faced with the option of abididing by Macsonald’s regulations, the organization is publicly vilified with the contention that their grieviously ill four year old is being “booted”. Macdonald’s rules are intended, efectively or not, to protect sick children including Jack Furguason.

  2. Shepherdess

    January 14, 2022 at 3:40 pm

    I will be boycotting MacDonald’s and those who support Ronald McDonald House should reconsider. This is just plain cruelty.

  3. Boris Hall

    January 13, 2022 at 8:17 pm

    This covid “vaccine” scam gets more evil by the day

  4. William Clark

    January 13, 2022 at 1:21 pm

    Amen! To this man and his family. Well said Sir you have spoken world wide for all of us. Thank you
    I hope your son gets well soon and all other children with cancer.

  5. Jeff Brown

    January 13, 2022 at 12:42 pm

    “identity crisis as a nation”

    Thanks to the bravery shown by citizens like Lindsey and Austin there is hope that at least some of the Nations created out of the ashes of Confederation will be glorious and free. God be with Jack and his parents.

  6. Left Coast

    January 13, 2022 at 11:57 am

    Internal hospital data confirm a huge increase in patients with vaccine side effects in 2021
    By: Alex Berenson, January 12, 2022:

    At many hospitals, the number of patients reported to have post-vaccine injuries rose fivefold or more after Covid vaccines were introduced in December 2020, medical records databases show.

    For example, one database including 100 institutions included more than 8900 reports in 2021, compared to fewer than 2000 in 2019 and 2020. A different system reported an increase from 162 in 2019 to more than 1100 in 2021.

    Several people with access to different databases provided the figures, on the condition that they remain anonymous, as the databases are proprietary and confidential. All the databases showed a similar increase, ranging from four-fold to more than 10-fold.

    The rise parallels the massive increase in vaccine injuries and deaths reported to VAERS – the federal Vaccine Adverse Events Reporting System – in 2021. Over 740,000 VAERS reports were submitted last year, compared to 50,000 in 2020. Of the 2021 reports, 700,000 were Covid related.

    Vaccine advocates insist that VAERS reports are unreliable and do not prove causation because anyone can submit a VAERS report. The figures in these databases cannot be similarly dismissed. Access to them is strictly limited – and represents the clinical judgment of the physicians treating patients.

    The increase is particularly stunning because American medical records systems won’t accept a newly created code meant for the reporting of Covid-specific vaccine injuries. The problems can only be recorded as non-specific vaccine injuries, using an earlier diagnosis code.

    That earlier code, called T50.Z95A, is the one which has shown the huge increases in 2021.

    Further, hospitals receive no financial benefit from including the T50.Z95A code in patient records. Adding the code does not increase the reimbursement they receive. Thus, aside from accurately documenting what is happening to their patients, they have no incentive to record vaccine injuries.

    (more)

    https://gellerreport.com/2022/01/internal-hospital-data-confirm-huge-increase-in-patients-with-vaccine-side-effects-in-2021.html/

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

News

Ottawa press gallery discusses letting Chinese propaganda agency in

Xinhua has been accused of misusing press privileges at the direction of Chinese diplomats.

mm

Published

on

Officials with the Parliamentary Press Gallery held a behind closed doors meeting on Tuesday to talk about letting reporters from Xinhau, the Chinese Community Party’s propaganda agency, into the club, says Blacklock’s Reporter.

“The gallery is not bound by any outside political considerations,” said gallery president Catherine Levesque of the National Post. 

“We are doing our due diligence to ensure Xinhua meets certain criteria and we will be making a decision shortly.”

Xinhua has been accused of misusing press privileges at the direction of Chinese diplomats.

“Membership in the Parliamentary Press Gallery allows access to the secure physical buildings of the parliamentary precinct and the opportunity to directly question individuals who drive and shape public policy,” gallery directors wrote in a 2020 code Journalistic Principles And Practices.

“As a result, accreditation is a privilege, not a right.”

Xinhua had been a member until 2020 when its press pass lapsed.

The Department of National Defence in 2012 blacklisted the agency from attending its press briefings, and a Xinhua correspondent in 2012 disclosed he was asked to maintain surveillance on Chinese dissidents in Canada.

The gallery would not discuss the Xinhua application but the gallery code states members must “respect the rights of people involved in the news.”

The Commons by a unanimous 266-0 vote last February 22 condemned China for human rights atrocities including the genocide of its Uyghur Muslim community. MPs also voted to petition the International Olympic Committee to relocate the 2022 Winter Games from Beijing.

“We need to move forward, not just as a country but as a world, on recognizing the human rights violations that are going on in China,” Prime Minister Justin Trudeau earlier told reporters.

“This is an issue that matters deeply to me, to all Canadians, and we will continue to work with our partners and allies on taking it seriously.”

Xinhua was originally granted Press Gallery membership in 1964 at the request of then-Foreign Minister Paul Martin Sr.

“It is a step in the direction of mutual understanding between Canada and mainland China,” Martin said at the time. Membership was approved in a press credentials swap that saw the Communist Party permit the Globe & Mail to open a Beijing bureau.

Continue Reading

News

PHA head says cellphone snooping fears unwarranted

Dr. Harpreet Kochhar said managers at no time collected information that personally identified any of 33 million cellphone users.

mm

Published

on

The president of the Public Health Agency (PHA) says Canadians need not fret over the fact his organization snooped on 33 million cellphone users, says Blacklock’s Reporter.

Dr. Harpreet Kochhar said managers at no time collected information that personally identified any of 33 million cellphone users.

“No personal information was asked or was received,” Kochhar told the Commons health committee.

“No individually identifiable data is contained in any part of the work.”

The Commons ethics committee last Friday voted 10-0 to examine the data collection program using cellphone tower tracking. The PHA said it sought the information to monitor compliance with lockdown orders.

“The actual reason why we collected this data is reliable, timely and relevant public health data comes out of it for other policy and decision making,” said Kochhar.

“This is population-level mobility data analysis. This is what we have collected.

“That would help us to understand the possible link between the movement of populations within Canada and the impact on COVID-19. We did that in terms of a very clear way of getting that open and transparent means of collection. We never, ever actually know when we use that information that it is individually identifiable. It is aggregated data.”

MPs on the ethics committee earlier noted cellphone users were never told the PHA was collecting the cellphone tracking data. Conservative MP John Brassard (Barrie-Innisfil, Ont.), noted the scope of the monitoring was only detailed when the Agency issued a December 17 notice to contractors to expand the program.

“It becomes increasingly concerning that government is seemingly using this pandemic as a means and a cause for massive overreach into the privacy rights of Canadians,” said Brassard.

“As parliamentarians, it’s incumbent upon us to make sure we protect those rights, that there is proper scrutiny and oversight.”

“The Public Health Agency was collecting data without the knowledge of Canadians, effectively doing it in secret. We need to know what security measures were in place to protect the privacy rights of Canadians.

“It is vital we do not allow the COVID response to create a permanent backslide of the rights and freedoms of Canadians including their fundamental right to privacy.”

Continue Reading

News

Health Minister Duclos has no info on $150-million COVID contract to SNC-Lavalin

But testifying at the Commons health committee, Duclos had no answer when asked why the contract was issued.

mm

Published

on

SNC-Lavalin was given a $150-million sole-source contract to provide “urgently” needed field hospitals during the COVID-19 pandemic — but Canada’s Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos doesn’t seem to know much about it, says Blacklock’s Reporter.

The field hospitals were never used.

“This is obviously in support of the needs at the request of provinces and territories,” said Duclos.

But testifying at the Commons health committee, Duclos had no answer when asked why the contract was issued.

“What is the status of the mobile field hospitals SNC-Lavalin was contracted to produce?” asked Conservative MP Shelby Kramp-Neuman (Hastings-Lennox, Ont.).

“It was an example of the significant level of preparation that we did throughout the crisis,” replied Duclos.

“Why have the field hospitals from SNC-Lavalin not been deployed?” asked Kramp-Neuman.

Duclos replied he had no information on “the exact nature of the state of that equipment.”

“Did the Prime Minister’s Office approve of this?” asked MP Kramp-Neuman.

“That’s a public works question,” replied Duclos.

“We’re not getting a lot of clarity here,” said MP Kramp-Neuman, adding: “The buck stops with you. Sadly, I recognize you don’t have all the answers to everything, but it doesn’t seem like we’re getting a lot of answers to anything.”

An unidentified Department of Public Works manager finalized the SNC-Lavalin contract on April 9, 2020 without notice to other bidders.

“A public call for tenders was not issued due to the urgency of the need as a result of the pandemic,” said an internal e-mail.

However, as late as Sep. 9, 2020, the Québec contractor had still not fixed a delivery date, according to staff emails.

Paul Thompson, deputy minister of public works, Tuesday said he knew little of the contract details.

“I personally don’t have all the details at my fingertips,” said Thompson.

SNC-Lavalin was paid to supply field hospitals equipped with 200 hospital beds, ventilators, masks, medical gowns and ten days’ worth of medication, back-up generators, water and oxygen tanks, X-ray machines, shower bays and latrines.

“The self-sufficiency of the unit makes it extremely flexible for deployment where the need is greatest in Canada,” said a memo.

Internal records dated Oct. 13, 2020 disclosed no one wanted the field hospitals.

The department said spending included $2 million for design work and millions more on warehousing medical supplies for presumed future use.

Continue Reading

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Share

Petition: No Media Bailouts

We the undersigned call on the Canadian government to immediately cease all payouts to media companies.

1,114 signatures

No Media Bailouts

The fourth estate is critical to a functioning democracy in holding the government to account. An objective media can't maintain editorial integrity when it accepts money from a government we expect it to be critical of.

We the undersigned call on the Canadian government to immediately cease all payouts to media companies.

**your signature**



The Western Standard will never accept government bailout money. By becoming a Western Standard member, you are supporting government bailout-free and proudly western media that is on your side. With your support, we can give Westerners a voice that doesn\'t need taxpayers money.

Share this with your friends:

Trending

Copyright © Western Standard New Media Corp.