News

Stressed Calgary ICU nurse dies from overdose

“Now I’m tired I cry before my shifts I have severe anxiety but I still give the best care I can.”

A Calgary nurse — who became extremely stressed after working countless hours in the ICU with COVID-19 patients — has died from a drug overdose.

Without mentioning her name or giving a cause of death, Alberta Health Services head Dr. Verna Yui announced the passing on Thursday.

Source: AHS Facebook

But the nurse did have a name, relatives confirmed it was Season Foremsky. And her last Facebooks posts dealt with the anguish she was going through while working at the South Calgary Health Campus.

The Western Standard has decided not to edit her words.

“February 2020 I began taking calls about COVID by March we had our first cases in Calgary. I remember driving to work on a Monday at 8 am and I was the only one on the road. It was eerie,” she wrote of September 17.

“We did ok from the first lockdown up until December. Then lockdown came again and the people started to get angry Yet as I was redeployed to my ICU I continued to do my job despite the conspiracy theories and the people “claiming their rights” were being taken away.

“I got my first vaccine in December, was on AHS TV and couldn’t stomach the disgusting comments people made yet I still gave the best care I could Fast forward to “the best summer ever” as us healthcare workers cried, and we are scared

“We have PTSD, went on medical leave, and even quit because every single one of us saw this wave coming. Now I’m tired I cry before my shifts I have severe anxiety but I still give the best care I can.

“What the public doesn’t know is the scenarios surrounding what I see. I see a daughter say goodbye to her dad after she gave him COVID and I’ve stopped the ventilator. I see a husband and wife die days apart in their 40’s PREVIOUSLY healthy.

“I speak with EMS who say if you get in a car crash a call out time to get to you is 40 minutes and people are dying because EMS is going to unvaccinated people who are short of breath and need an “ambulance “

“The media only portrays the juicy stuff Stop thinking of only yourself I’m not saying get the vaccine I’m saying keep your mask on social distance don’t go out when you are sick And so help me god you block my ambulances from getting into my ER I will run you down Protest anywhere but a hospital you ungrateful f—-“

AHS had even used Foremsky in a vaccine campaign, viedotaping and photograph her being jabbed.

Season Foremsky

Earlier, on August 12, Foremsky took to Facebook, writing about the pending storm.

“I haven’t ranted in awhile ( maybe a week😂) but here it goes I’m so humbled by the support I see from the community standing behind nurses and for that I’m grateful

“But this isn’t over My gut feelings keep telling me this is literally the calm before the storm I’m not just talking a fourth wave I’m talking society.

“Our healthcare system is on the brink of complete collapse EVERYWHERE Nurses are not tired we are DONE RRT’s are not burnt out they are f—— done EMS, tech, Doctors PCT’s Every healthcare provider are completely defeated.

“I feel like a terrible nurse. I bust my ass 60 hours a week for what? to hear the pandemics over, the vaccines is a poison, covid is a conspiracy, I’m not putting that in my body , and on and on.

“I work consistently short staffed and I mean dangerously short staffed. But yet nothing has changed or if it does they want us to go backwards

“This last year of my life has actually been a living nightmare Between divorce, custody, lies, abuse, pulmonary embolisms, watching so many people die and working so hard and feeling like what I gave did not make one iota of a difference my love for this job is gone

Nursing was a calling for me . I always wanted to be in the medical field Today I want to go off the grid and say f— this We’ve suffered a overwhelming trauma that I’m not so sure we are going to recover”

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard and the Vice-President: News Division of Western Standard New Media Corp. He has served as the City Editor of the Calgary Sun and has covered Alberta news for nearly 40 years. dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com

1. Lee Morrison

October 2, 2021 at 3:00 pm

As expected the usual flock of commentators is expressing left-handed sympathy for the sad passing of Ms Foremsky while using it to enable an attack on AHS and the evil medical establishment. Not one word of guilt escapes them for her death or for the destruction of a reasonably functional emergency medical system by their unvaccinated coherts. “Just add more ICU beds for our convenience” they say. And where, pray tell, would they find the nurses to staff them? Beds are readily available but it takes years of training and hands on experience to dulpicate the likes of Nurse Foremsky.

The Western Standard, which began life as an outlet for conservative thought,
    seems to be morphing into a sounding board for a destructive anti-social group.

2. berta baby

October 2, 2021 at 1:44 pm

Pulmonary embolism? Did I read that right….

3. Dennis

October 2, 2021 at 12:40 pm

This is such a tragedy. Had the government and AHS been doing what they are supposed to do, this should not have happened. These people must see their day in court to answer for this and all the other crimes against humanity they have committed and continue to do under the guise of covid.

4. Left Coast

October 2, 2021 at 10:20 am

So sad . . . .

But who is to blame?

I contend that 21 months of lies, misinformation, corruption & insane lockdowns by the Heath Authorities & the Provincial Politicians contributed to her death.
    Factor in the Govt Funded FakeStream Media who have since day ONE produced SCARE & FEAR as they demonized drugs that we know work and promoted these lyin agencies.

Canada’s HC system actually collapsed decades ago . . . no one noticed until today!

Today as the “VAXED” are filling Hospitals around the world . . . what are these fools going to do next?

5. Claudette Leece

October 2, 2021 at 6:47 am

Pamela Bridget you couldn’t be more right, worked in this disfunctional system , till had to get out. Working a shift until midnight then called back in at 5 because no one to work. Managers basically useless entities in these facilities, if it’s a photo op or a donation from the community, there right out there. They rarely listen to staff input about what needs to be done, to better things. Not everyone of them but more than enough. Many were ex RN who soon forgot what it’s really like to work on a floor. If something is not done soon, and healthcare quits being used for political points many more will die, but from the serious neglect healthcare has been given , especially these last 21/2 years. And yes unions have abandoned the workers, other than to collect those dues. If someone could do a deep dive you could bet there was some financial game to these unions, to not only ignore the workers, who have ensured there fat, undeserved paychecks, but for them to agree to mandatory vaccines without ever one second of consultation with its members. Dr Yu and Hinshaw shouldbe charged with neglecting the system they have been in charge of long before covid and made to spend sometime in these facilities they have so badly neglected and not because they don’t have the money. Money is going somewhere just not where it should be.

6. Pierre Demyan

October 1, 2021 at 9:58 pm

So her divorce is because of the unvaccinated not the lockdowns that killed thousands according to Statistics Canada.

Her custody court battle is because of the unvaccinated not the lockdowns.

The people dying in hospitals is because of the unvaccinated not the fact that around 280,000 Canadians die every year mostly in hospitals and if you can’t deal with death then probably healthcare is not the right profession for you.

The extra hours she is working is because of the unvaccinated not the fact that the government utterly refuse to hire more healthcare workers (actually planning on firing the unvaccinated ones) and the fact that Trudeau said that healthcare is not a priority when provincial government asked for more funding this year despite the federal government have the biggest deficit in our history.

Why is Western Standard inciting hate against the unvaccinated with these articles?

7. Pamela Bridger

October 1, 2021 at 5:02 pm

Mental illness is so overlooked that even those commenting hear don’t really even understand the depth of her mental health issues. Where the hell is AHS in providing meaningful health supports for staff? It appears they are treated as shabbily as they treat people utilizing these services.

If there ever was a more poignant event to show how utterly disgusting Verna Yiu and the rest of the sycophants at AHS using this death for propaganda purposes then I guess death has become meaningless to them. Apparently we can add cold hearted to the list of many problems with AHS and their management.

8. Bill Mccann

October 1, 2021 at 4:27 pm

Beingbused by AHS as a poster child was enough for me. AHS 🖕

9. John Lankers

October 1, 2021 at 12:46 pm

My sincere condolences to the family, it is always hard losing a family member but losing a loved one this way must be the worst. What caught my attention was that she had to deal with pulmonary embolisms (plural)…, mmmh.
    Alberta has the most expensive Healthcare system in the country and yet it is the most dysfunctional, the people ultimately responsible are Dr Hinshaw and Verna Yiu who were put in charge of our Healthcare by Rachel Notley and Jason Kenney and our health minister who are covering for them. Where are the billions of dollars going, there are staff shortages and equipment shortages everywhere. Why does a province of 4.3 million people have no more than 300 ICU beds, what if (heaven forbid) something terrible happens and a lot of people need help fast? The best all unions can do is demand higher wages, holiday pay, etc. why aren’t they pointing out the obvious and demand from AHS what is really needed which is more hospital capacity and staff on the floor instead of wasting billions in bureaucracy and propaganda?
    This system is broken so far beyond repair it is incomprehensible, I had to be admitted to the ER once in the middle of the night with a very serious condition and I remember very well how doctors and nurses were scrambling to make me comfortable until finally a bed opened up in the hospital almost a day later. Or last winter whenI had to travel 100 kms to get an x-ray done because the x-ray machine in the hospital in town was under repair for over 3 months and out of commission and then I had to travel another 100 kms to get an ultrasound done. I’d be better of pretending to be an an animal and let the vet take care of my health, no wait times and 1/10 of the cost.

10. Cosmo Kramer

October 1, 2021 at 12:36 pm

I agree with all the comments below and I feel sympathy for this poor woman’s family. With the lack of information and narrow narrative, this look like a death that is now being used for political purposes.

11. K

October 1, 2021 at 11:31 am

The vaccines did this.

12. Susan Grant

October 1, 2021 at 11:27 am

Let’s get her entire medical and mental health history so we can be sure of the truth.

13. Baron Not Baron

October 1, 2021 at 11:26 am

Yup the rants and opinions of heavy drug users have always been my guiding light. My life principles are based on these people, geniuses misunderstood by society. I am at peace knowing that JT is going to legalize heavy drugs so that society at large can benefit from these people’s wisdom and productivity.

14. Susan Grant

October 1, 2021 at 11:25 am

Has ANYONE here bothered to look at the latest stats? Is it possible this nurse had other issues? My sympathy for her family. The seasons of despair are NOT limited to this nurse. How about ALL the innocent youths? Let’s talk about the elephants in the room. AHS is in this mess because 20 months ago UCP made promises it had NO intention to keep thanks to the Nutley plants YIU and Hinshaw or how about the truth on ALL the adverse events. Or Hinshaw avoiding court for a vacation. I am sad she took her life SHE IS NOT THE ONLY ONE SUFFERING. THIS JAB is NOT a vax its NOT APPROVED YET FOR ANYTHING MORE THAN EUA and the more the fake leaders hide the truth the more people will suffer.

I hope the family Sue’s Hinshaw, SHANDRO and Kenney.

15. Declan Carroll

October 1, 2021 at 11:19 am

If the system cannot or will not garuntee our liberty then it is not worth saving. Let it collapse and from the ashes we can build a new system that will provide healthcare while at the same time respecting our liberties.

16. James Taylor

October 1, 2021 at 10:58 am

Looking at her hair and eyes, I think her problems extended beyond just her work. I am sorry she off’d herself, but this kind of thing will be blamed on “Albertans” by the media and lying politicians instead of where it should be:
    First on herself, and second, on the broken medical rationing system run by the evil gang we call AHS

17. Declan Carroll

October 1, 2021 at 10:46 am

All the nurses and doctors should walk off the job. The sooner this rotten system collapses the better off everyone will be. It is a crying shame that the government through divide and conquer has turned the citizenry against each other in a cynical play for power.

News

Canada-Europe take action over COVID variant Omicron

“Emergence of Omicron, a new variant of concern reinforces the need for caution,” said Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Theresa Tam.

With the discovery of a new COVID-19 variant of concern (VOC) named Omicron in South Africa, the Canadian government is taking steps to limit the risk to Canadians.

Travellers arriving from countries of concern within the last 14 days will be required to quarantine pending negative COVID-19 tests. Countries of concern include South Africa, Mozambique, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Lesotho and Eswatini.

On Friday, Canada’s Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos said the federal government will impose five measures in an effort to limit its spread in Canada.

Canada’s Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Theresa Tam took to Twitter on Saturday to share her concerns over the VOC.

“Emergence of Omicron, a new variant of concern reinforces the need for caution,” wrote Tam.

The WHO has labelled Omicron as a variant of concern due to its high number of mutations and reports that early evidence suggests it could be more infectious than other variants.

Meanwhile, during a news conference on Saturday, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the UK will take “targeted and precautionary measures” after two people tested positive for the Omicron variant.

One case was identified in Brentwood, a town in southeastern England while the other case was located in the central city of Nottingham. Both individuals are linked and had travelled from southern Africa. The two individuals are self-isolating along with their households and authorities are working on contact tracing.

Johnson confirmed travellers arriving in England will be required to take a PCR test and self-isolate until a negative test result is provided. Those that test positive for the new variant will have to self-isolate, along with any of their close contacts, for 10 days regardless of vaccine status.

He also said masks will be required in shops and other public spaces and indicated they will “boost the booster campaign.”

“Right now this is the responsible course of action to slow down the seeding and the spread of this new variant and to maximize our defences,” said Johnson.

Johnson said the new rules will be reviewed in three weeks when scientists know more about the variant.

On Friday, the British government added Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho, Namibia, South Africa and Zimbabwe to the country’s travel red list. By Saturday, Angola, Malawi, Mozambique and Zambia were also added to the list.

Other countries are adding restrictions on travellers coming from various southern African countries including the US, Japan, Brazil, and Australia while cases have also been reported in Belgium, Israel and Hong Kong.

Germany, the Netherlands, Austria and the Czech Republic have also reported suspected cases related to travellers arriving from South Africa.

Melanie Risdon is a reporter with the Western Standard
mrisdon@westernstandardonline.com

News

Road closures as British Columbians brace for more rain

Closures will impact Highway 1, Highway 3 and Highway 99 on Saturday.

As BC braces for additional rain, the government has ‘proactively’ closed a number of highways for travel.

“We are actively responding, monitoring and assessing the many highway closures due to flooding and will continue to do so as we work with local and emergency service partners,” said the BC Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure.

“Safety is our top priority while we deal with a rapidly changing and difficult situation.”

Closures will impact Highway 1, Highway 3 and Highway 99 on Saturday. The ministry said the time and duration of the closures will be weather-dependent.

“The highway infrastructure in these areas is extremely vulnerable following recent storms, and more heavy rain in the forecast poses an additional risk,” said the ministry in a press release.

“The closures of these three highways will be re-evaluated on Sunday morning, with the highways reopened when it is safe to do so.”

The release said Highway 1 will be closed between Popkum and Hope on Saturday afternoon as BC Hydro plans a reservoir release, “crucial to protect the Jones Lake Reservoir, which is also being affected by the heavy rains.”

The release explains the reservoir release will discharge water towards areas of Highway 1 that were affected during the November 14 storm.

“This additional flow – combined with the increased precipitation and already high stream flows – poses a risk of impact to Highway 1 in the Laidlaw area.”

The ministry is bracing for further damage to Highway 1 in this area and said the reopening time cannot be determined at this stage but will be assessed by crews “when it is safe to do so.”

Highway 7 between Mission and Hope remains open with travel restrictions in place. Essential purposes for travel are defined in the travel restrictions order through the Emergency Program Act

Weather statements are in effect for Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley, Squamish to Whistler and the Sunshine Coast into next week. Storms are expected to bring more rain which has resulted in high streamflow advisories for all regions of the coast by the River Forecast Centre.

Ongoing road and travel updates are available on the ministry’s website.

Melanie Risdon is a reporter with the Western Standard
mrisdon@westernstandardonline.com

News

Bill to aid jurors traumatized by testimony up for vote … again

Bill C-206 would amend a 1972 secrecy law to permit jurors to disclose confidential details of deliberations for the purpose of “medical or psychiatric treatment or any therapy or counselling.”

For the third time in three years, legislators will attempt to pass an aid bill for jurors traumatized by graphic testimony in criminal courts.

“When we ask citizens to be a juror we don’t ask them to be a victim,” said Quebec Senator and bill sponsor Pierre-Hugues Boisvenu.

“There is no excuse not to adopt that bill.”

Bill C-206 would amend a 1972 secrecy law to permit jurors to disclose confidential details of deliberations for the purpose of “medical or psychiatric treatment or any therapy or counselling,” said Blacklock’s Reporter.

Two identical bills, S-207 and C-417, lapsed in the last two Parliaments.

“That kind of bill should be a government bill, not a private bill,” said Boisvenu.

“I don’t think it’s a matter of private interest. It’s a matter of national interest.”

In 2017, the Commons justice committee recommended the Criminal Code amendment after hearing testimony from former jurors who said they quit jobs, suffered marriage breakdown and were diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder after being compelled to watch crime scene videos and hear testimony from coroners.

“Everyone’s mental health matters,” Ontario Senator Lucie Moncion said Thursday.

“Yet from a legal point of view, jurors are part of a special category of people who are denied complete health care. The secrecy rule prohibits a juror from disclosing information related to deliberations to anyone including a health care professional. This needs to change.”

Moncion was a juror in a 1989 murder trial and said the experience left her with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).

“They show you the whole autopsy,” said Moncion.

“It was very difficult. This is still very difficult for me.”

Alberta Conservative MP Michael Cooper, a member of the 2017 Commons justice committee that recommended reforms, said delays were inexcusable.

“It should have been a no-brainer for the government to have brought this bill forward,” said Cooper indicating the bill has been “studied thoroughly.”

“There have literally been no arguments tendered against this piece of legislation.”

Cooper, in 2019, sponsored a similar bill – C-417 – that lapsed. MPs at the time noted U.S. jurors were free to discuss their experience with friends, family, psychiatrists or media.

“In the United States once a trial is over jurors are generally free to discuss the events of the trial and jury deliberations unless a specific court order bars them from doing so,” said Ontario Liberal MP Arif Virani, then-parliamentary secretary for justice.

“What that means is that jurors in the United States can talk with nearly anyone about juror deliberations including a talk show host on national television or across the Internet. This approach, which offers limited protection for juror privacy, is significantly different from the Canadian model.”