fbpx
Connect with us

News

Sohi defeats all-comers in race for Edmonton’s mayor chair

Sohi served as Liberal minister of Natural Resources from 2018 to 2019 and Minister of Infrastructure and Communities from 2015 to 2018.

mm

Published

on

Amarjeet Sohi is the new mayor-elect of Edmonton.

Sohi rode a wave of popularity Monday night in the battle to replace the outgoing mayor, Don Iveson.

Sohi, 57, finished ahead of main rival Mike Nickel by a count of 90,504 to 52,863 as of 9:45 p.m.

Council has a whole in Edmonton underwent a massive gender change with eight women winning ridings.

Full results in Edmonton can be found here.

Sohi served as Liberal minister of Natural Resources from 2018 to 2019 and Minister of Infrastructure and Communities from 2015 to 2018.

He was defeated in the 2019 federal election and then turned his attention back to civic politics.

Previously, Sohi was elected to the Edmonton city council in 2007.

Born in India, Sohi immigrated to Canada in 1981 and started work as a taxi driver in Edmonton.

When he returned to India in 1988, he was arrested, accused of terrorism and put into solitary confinement.

After spending 21 months in prison, Sohi was released due to a lack of evidence.

He came back to Edmonton and worked as a bus driver before entering politics.

Continue Reading
13 Comments

13 Comments

  1. Chad Eden

    October 20, 2021 at 8:10 am

    Something stinks here. Failed Trudeau liberal mla comes back to municipal level government.

  2. Joc2257

    October 20, 2021 at 7:30 am

    I too was a surprised and suspect to se these vote tabulating machines, You would have the province/city would have known better in the use of these machines. Worst yet is that the powers that be never said anything about the use of them which makes even more red flags arise.
    This needs to be addressed immediately

  3. Jon Phair

    October 19, 2021 at 4:00 pm

    Just goes to prove how stupid Edmontonians are…just another Trudeau lapdog.

  4. Proud Albertan

    October 19, 2021 at 10:14 am

    The elections in the big cities is very suspect… all vote Con in Fed but elect liberal NDP at local level… umm ok… again… nothing about this surprised me… I think a hand count in Calgary Lethbridge and Edmonton should be on the table…

  5. Cosmo Kramer

    October 19, 2021 at 10:01 am

    Something very sinister when Calgary and Edmonton who consistently mostly vote conservative in every election then vote in leftist mayors. I was not expecting to see Dominion voting machines when I arrived. This is very suspect. Maybe Kenney is lying and abusing human rights in that they have been assured of another majority in the next election.

  6. Patrick Parsonage

    October 19, 2021 at 8:20 am

    We have secured our fate of continued high taxes, bigger government, useless bike lanes and civic corruption. I am astounded at how short peoples memory of Sohi actually is. This is the man who as a liberal cabinet minister brought in no new pipelines, no oil production expansion, reduced investment and no access to tide waters. He is responsible as any other liberal for the destruction of the Alberta economy and we the short sited people vote this cringe worthy person in to run our city.

  7. Claudette Leece

    October 19, 2021 at 7:32 am

    A guy went to vote yesterday wearing an old Ralph Klein button , he thought was for good luck, and they would not let him in, he asked why, they to,d him first it was a weapon. When he told them that’s ridiculous, they then said well it’s campaigning, he clued the worker in,he’s been dead for years, they still refused to let him in until he removed it, this tells you what elections Canada has hired now

  8. Claudette Leece

    October 19, 2021 at 7:28 am

    Edmontonn just another left leaning socialist city, big government lovers. So glad they will enjoy high taxes, more useless transit, big useless art , that people laugh at. They deserve everything they get, their stupid knows no bounds. Oh and just wait how many more blood sucking union workers are on the payroll, that they have no money for

  9. Baron Not Baron

    October 19, 2021 at 7:26 am

    Time to move fellas!!!

  10. Clash

    October 19, 2021 at 7:05 am

    All is lost!

  11. berta baby

    October 19, 2021 at 4:37 am

    With electronic voting machines liberals and communists will always win.

    I voted but last night was the last time.

    Watch kenney pull out a majority next provincial election.

    Democracy is dead

  12. Greg Strohschein

    October 18, 2021 at 11:57 pm

    So we are supposed to believe that Sohi won over Nickel by a margin by almost 2 to 1 after how he screwed Alberta under Trudeau? I guess Sohi got good use from those Dominion machines.

  13. Mike Bujold

    October 18, 2021 at 10:24 pm

    If Iveson hadn’t fv*ked Edmonton up enough, Sohi will finish the job.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

News

Canada-Europe take action over COVID variant Omicron

“Emergence of Omicron, a new variant of concern reinforces the need for caution,” said Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Theresa Tam.

mm

Published

on

With the discovery of a new COVID-19 variant of concern (VOC) named Omicron in South Africa, the Canadian government is taking steps to limit the risk to Canadians.

Travellers arriving from countries of concern within the last 14 days will be required to quarantine pending negative COVID-19 tests. Countries of concern include South Africa, Mozambique, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Lesotho and Eswatini.

On Friday, Canada’s Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos said the federal government will impose five measures in an effort to limit its spread in Canada.

Canada’s Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Theresa Tam took to Twitter on Saturday to share her concerns over the VOC.

“Emergence of Omicron, a new variant of concern reinforces the need for caution,” wrote Tam.

The WHO has labelled Omicron as a variant of concern due to its high number of mutations and reports that early evidence suggests it could be more infectious than other variants.

Meanwhile, during a news conference on Saturday, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the UK will take “targeted and precautionary measures” after two people tested positive for the Omicron variant.

One case was identified in Brentwood, a town in southeastern England while the other case was located in the central city of Nottingham. Both individuals are linked and had travelled from southern Africa. The two individuals are self-isolating along with their households and authorities are working on contact tracing.

Johnson confirmed travellers arriving in England will be required to take a PCR test and self-isolate until a negative test result is provided. Those that test positive for the new variant will have to self-isolate, along with any of their close contacts, for 10 days regardless of vaccine status.

He also said masks will be required in shops and other public spaces and indicated they will “boost the booster campaign.”

“Right now this is the responsible course of action to slow down the seeding and the spread of this new variant and to maximize our defences,” said Johnson.

Johnson said the new rules will be reviewed in three weeks when scientists know more about the variant.

On Friday, the British government added Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho, Namibia, South Africa and Zimbabwe to the country’s travel red list. By Saturday, Angola, Malawi, Mozambique and Zambia were also added to the list.

Other countries are adding restrictions on travellers coming from various southern African countries including the US, Japan, Brazil, and Australia while cases have also been reported in Belgium, Israel and Hong Kong.

Germany, the Netherlands, Austria and the Czech Republic have also reported suspected cases related to travellers arriving from South Africa.

Melanie Risdon is a reporter with the Western Standard
mrisdon@westernstandardonline.com

Continue Reading

News

Road closures as British Columbians brace for more rain

Closures will impact Highway 1, Highway 3 and Highway 99 on Saturday.

mm

Published

on

As BC braces for additional rain, the government has ‘proactively’ closed a number of highways for travel.

“We are actively responding, monitoring and assessing the many highway closures due to flooding and will continue to do so as we work with local and emergency service partners,” said the BC Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure.

“Safety is our top priority while we deal with a rapidly changing and difficult situation.”

Closures will impact Highway 1, Highway 3 and Highway 99 on Saturday. The ministry said the time and duration of the closures will be weather-dependent.

“The highway infrastructure in these areas is extremely vulnerable following recent storms, and more heavy rain in the forecast poses an additional risk,” said the ministry in a press release.

“The closures of these three highways will be re-evaluated on Sunday morning, with the highways reopened when it is safe to do so.”

The release said Highway 1 will be closed between Popkum and Hope on Saturday afternoon as BC Hydro plans a reservoir release, “crucial to protect the Jones Lake Reservoir, which is also being affected by the heavy rains.”

The release explains the reservoir release will discharge water towards areas of Highway 1 that were affected during the November 14 storm.  

“This additional flow – combined with the increased precipitation and already high stream flows – poses a risk of impact to Highway 1 in the Laidlaw area.”

The ministry is bracing for further damage to Highway 1 in this area and said the reopening time cannot be determined at this stage but will be assessed by crews “when it is safe to do so.”

Highway 7 between Mission and Hope remains open with travel restrictions in place. Essential purposes for travel are defined in the travel restrictions order through the Emergency Program Act

Weather statements are in effect for Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley, Squamish to Whistler and the Sunshine Coast into next week. Storms are expected to bring more rain which has resulted in high streamflow advisories for all regions of the coast by the River Forecast Centre.

Ongoing road and travel updates are available on the ministry’s website.

Melanie Risdon is a reporter with the Western Standard
mrisdon@westernstandardonline.com

Continue Reading

News

Bill to aid jurors traumatized by testimony up for vote … again

Bill C-206 would amend a 1972 secrecy law to permit jurors to disclose confidential details of deliberations for the purpose of “medical or psychiatric treatment or any therapy or counselling.”

mm

Published

on

For the third time in three years, legislators will attempt to pass an aid bill for jurors traumatized by graphic testimony in criminal courts.

“When we ask citizens to be a juror we don’t ask them to be a victim,” said Quebec Senator and bill sponsor Pierre-Hugues Boisvenu.

“There is no excuse not to adopt that bill.” 

Bill C-206 would amend a 1972 secrecy law to permit jurors to disclose confidential details of deliberations for the purpose of “medical or psychiatric treatment or any therapy or counselling,” said Blacklock’s Reporter.

Two identical bills, S-207 and C-417, lapsed in the last two Parliaments.

“That kind of bill should be a government bill, not a private bill,” said Boisvenu.

“I don’t think it’s a matter of private interest. It’s a matter of national interest.”

In 2017, the Commons justice committee recommended the Criminal Code amendment after hearing testimony from former jurors who said they quit jobs, suffered marriage breakdown and were diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder after being compelled to watch crime scene videos and hear testimony from coroners.

“Everyone’s mental health matters,” Ontario Senator Lucie Moncion said Thursday.

“Yet from a legal point of view, jurors are part of a special category of people who are denied complete health care. The secrecy rule prohibits a juror from disclosing information related to deliberations to anyone including a health care professional. This needs to change.”

Moncion was a juror in a 1989 murder trial and said the experience left her with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).

“They show you the whole autopsy,” said Moncion.

“It was very difficult. This is still very difficult for me.”

Alberta Conservative MP Michael Cooper, a member of the 2017 Commons justice committee that recommended reforms, said delays were inexcusable.

“It should have been a no-brainer for the government to have brought this bill forward,” said Cooper indicating the bill has been “studied thoroughly.”

“There have literally been no arguments tendered against this piece of legislation.”

Cooper, in 2019, sponsored a similar bill – C-417 – that lapsed. MPs at the time noted U.S. jurors were free to discuss their experience with friends, family, psychiatrists or media.

“In the United States once a trial is over jurors are generally free to discuss the events of the trial and jury deliberations unless a specific court order bars them from doing so,” said Ontario Liberal MP Arif Virani, then-parliamentary secretary for justice.

“What that means is that jurors in the United States can talk with nearly anyone about juror deliberations including a talk show host on national television or across the Internet. This approach, which offers limited protection for juror privacy, is significantly different from the Canadian model.”

Continue Reading

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Share

Petition: No Media Bailouts

We the undersigned call on the Canadian government to immediately cease all payouts to media companies.

774 signatures

No Media Bailouts

The fourth estate is critical to a functioning democracy in holding the government to account. An objective media can't maintain editorial integrity when it accepts money from a government we expect it to be critical of.

We the undersigned call on the Canadian government to immediately cease all payouts to media companies.

**your signature**



The Western Standard will never accept government bailout money. By becoming a Western Standard member, you are supporting government bailout-free and proudly western media that is on your side. With your support, we can give Westerners a voice that doesn\'t need taxpayers money.

Share this with your friends:

Trending

Copyright © Western Standard New Media Corp.