Opinion

MAKICHUK: It’s time we cut Premier Kenney some slack

What drives me to this conclusion is the horrible vilification of Kenney by the medical union types. Listening to these guys you would think Kenney personally dropped the vial of SARS-CoV-2 in the Chinese lab.

He’s been battered and bruised. Secretly photographed in bad rooftop patio situations, faced vocal union protests, been bashed relentlessly by both pro and anti-vaxxers.

The Eastern media mafia hates his guts and attacks him at every chance.

Even that Charles Adler radio guy loves beating him up — because it’s so damn easy isn’t it?

I would venture that even some cats and dogs hate him too.

I’m speaking, of course, of Alberta’s beleaguered premier, Jason Kenney, head of the UCP.

Reviled by many if you believe in popularity polls.

Let me start by saying I don’t really like or hate the guy — but I appreciate the unprecedented situation he has inherited. Believe me, a global pandemic is unprecedented.

If you don’t believe that, I’ve got some swampland in Florida to sell you.

I voted for the guy, I did. The only thing that had me worried was this so-called War Room, which turned out to be one of those good ideas at the time kind of things.

The other thing is some of the people placed in that War Room made my head spin but that’s as far as I’m going to go on that front.

Getting back to Kenney. He and his party appeared to have stumbled from one mess into another.

Not unusual, for wacky Canadian provincial politics, but … he seems to have misread the hearts and minds of ordinary Albertans who, for example, don’t want their parklands sold off.

Nor do they want giant open-pit coal mines in the beautiful, Unforgiven foothills of the Alberta Rockies.

These and other missteps — yes, the COVID-19 holiday he took, disappearing for several weeks, was probably another mistake. It surprised me. I had actually expected better of him.

But all those bleeding hearts who say his antagonism of the Court Jester In Chief in Ottawa is a bad thing, go jump in a lake.

You think Notley’s pussy-footing with Trudeau led to anything good for our province? Give me an effing break.

I was hoping he would kick JT harder — much, much harder. Right in the squares. I would also like to hear some tough separation talk and new confederation deal talk.

Let’s scare the hell out of those Laurentian bastards, I say.

Getting back to the Elephant in the War Room, let’s talk Kenney and COVID-19.

My God, the factions over this issue are just insane. Both sides, IMO, have no claim to the moral high ground, not even close.

As my good friend Alex, a talented Cowtown investment guy told me this week: “Even if Jesus Christ came down on this earth to take the reins of the UPC party, he would not be able to keep the peace” in the Wild Rose province.

Not to say Jesus would jump into the UCP, he might have other ideas.

Nevertheless, as Sherlock Holmes would say maybe, just maybe, we need to cut Kenney some slack.

Kenney is not Peter Lougheed, nor will he ever be. But he is not evil personified either, for crissakes.

Whichever stand he takes, he’s going to be pilloried — it’s a no-win situation.

As one friend confided to me: “If Notley had been in charge, people would have been confined to their homes and allowed an hour a day of exercise …”

Perhaps a bit of an exaggeration but I get his drift.

While I am Pfizer vaxxed, and, quite glad that I am, I personally, don’t think anyone really knows why there is a COVID-19 resurgence in Alberta.

Anybody, absolutely anybody, who thinks they know all the answers should be treated with a grain of proverbial salt.

There is great speculation, especially among science experts, whom I respect, but … I really don’t think anyone knows for 100% certainty.

So go ahead. Blame the anti-vaxxers, blame the phases of the moon, blame Jimmy Buffett. I don’t care. Froth at the mouth and unfriend me on Facebook. Do your worst.

All I can tell you is that sooner or later we will get through this. And that’s going by history, not a bunch of guys thinking they know everything.

According to our friends at Wikipedia, the Great Plague of Marseille was the last major outbreak of bubonic plague in western Europe.

Arriving in Marseille, France in 1720, the disease killed a total of 100,000 people: 50,000 in the city during the next two years and another 50,000 to the north in surrounding provinces and towns.

France actually built a wall to contain it.

It is reassuring, though, that economic activity took only a few years to recover as trade expanded to the West Indies and Latin America.

Check it out for yourself, it’s history. Although we seem to be vilifying history too these days, don’t we? Tearing down statues and such.

Bad, bad statue!

So next time you decide to throw stones at Alberta’s Premier, check out the walls of your glasshouse. Do you think you could do better?

I sure as hell know I couldn’t. I wouldn’t take that job for all the tea (or rare earth metals) in China.

Dave Makichuk is a Western Standard contributor
He has worked in the media for decades, including as an editor for the Calgary Herald. He is also the military editor for the Asia Times.
makichukd@gmail.com

Dave Makichuck is a Columnist for the Western Standard. He is a 35-year veteran journalist who has served at both the Calgary Sun and Calgary Herald.

1. Andrejs Bondarenko

October 5, 2021 at 9:50 pm

This is the worst thing I’ve read here so far, really.

You ask readers to “cut some slack” to this pathological liar with zero backbone and principles. The guy who lied and flipped so many times I lost count of them. He had his last and very slim chance when he said “open for good” – and then he flipped again and made it worse than ever before by introducing these dystopian vax passports. And he arrested the pastor again the moment he landed!

This shmuck is done – and done for good

2. Pamela Bridger

October 5, 2021 at 8:31 am

Jason Kenney is responsible for every death related to Covid. I mean real deaths, not trumped up phoney PCR tests. Preventing early treatment options because skeletons in his closet force him to dance to the tune of another is all on him. Makes sense now why he has ignored the likes of David Redman and his friend Dr. Modry. Maybe we can start cleaning things up by electing people who cannot be so easily extorted.

3. Baron Not Baron

October 4, 2021 at 9:10 pm

ANDREW, are you E.L.?

4. Cosmo Kramer

October 4, 2021 at 3:51 pm

This article is really not worth comment. Poorly written and composed I am surprised it made it past the WS editor.

That said, I agree with the vast majority of commenters below.

Kenney is a grifter. Born in Oakville (greater Toronto area) the Kenneys moved to Saskatchewan where Jason did part of his high school. He then moved to Victoria to attend St. Michaels private high school. I know a guy who was there the same time Kenney was. It is primarily attended by kids of politically ambitious parents. He then studied philosophy at the University of San Francisco and did not finish his studies. He then returned to Canada and worked for the Liberal party in Saskatchewan. After a number of years with the Liberals Kenney felt inclined to run in politics himself. He then moved to Calgary and shortly after ran and was elected as an MP in the Reform party. This allowed him to spend much of his time in his original home province of Ontario. After a long stint in federal politics Kenney ran (no need to go through this recent history) in Alberta provincial politics and was elected premier of Alberta 2 1/2 years ago.

He is not an Albertan. Besides Banff he would only know the rest of Alberta through campaigning in provincial politics. He has no roots nor family (besides his mother who moved to Alberta to live with him) in Alberta.

As premier he has shown to be a compulsive liar, globalist operative, corrupt person, and incompetent leader. His human rights abuses are shocking. Yet the UCP still backs him.

I was fooled in 2015 too. I guess we all projected our wishes on this ideologically stunted man. The next election is 1 1/2 years away. I cannot wait for the UCP to be booted out.

5. PEI Bob

October 4, 2021 at 9:09 am

Kenney was definitely sabotaged by the bureaucrats that Notley put in place during her time in office and I believe still is. However, it was his choice to not hire David Redman or to not implement the Emergency Measures Plan. It was also his choice to abdicate his leadership responsibility and power to Deanna Hinshaw et al. Kennneys actions on many fronts showup his deficiencies and inablity to change his dictatorial persona. Kenney needs to be banished to Elba asap to enable this province to reemerge as a Western powerhouse. FYI I am doing something tangible to help turn this province around, how about you?

6. K

October 4, 2021 at 8:53 am

To echo the sentiments of the rational commenters on this column, I too will stand by their comments that ultimately, this horrible premier is mandating an UNWANTED, EXPERIMENTAL DRUG on a population that does NOT want it—By coercion and force. How the hell do you not understand that?

The information regarding this entire s***show we find ourselves living in is certainly obfuscated, but surely it is not so opaque that you do not even understand that much? This is the end of our freedoms as a western society. This is the end of democracy, the end of ‘WEXIT’, this is the end of your retirement, the end of watching your children and grandchildren pursue happiness, the end of your right to choose what you do with your body and health. The end of everything you know and love.

All because YOU didn’t have the forethought to dig a little deeper than the parroted lies of the MSM and the talking heads in our sham of a government. Stop publishing nonsense like this and do some damn research. Set yourselves apart for God’s sake. People rely on you for an alternative voice, not the same media propaganda we receive everywhere else.

7. Liane Boeckx

October 4, 2021 at 8:52 am

Andrew I agree with you 100%. Just because Notley would have heated the furnace 7 x hotter, does not excuse this gov’t from stoking that same furnace 4x hotter & incinerating the people & economy. Bad Biblical analogy I know. A lie is a lie, makes no difference whose mouths they fall out of. If we’ve lost sight of that & refuse to hold for what is true & good, honourable & decent, then we are truly deceived. A shepherd’s primary job is to protect the flock from cruel ravenous wild Beasts, not sing us a lullaby of BS. He broke the trust not us!

8. K

October 4, 2021 at 8:44 am

PLEASE. This is not your grand-pappy’s conservative. This husk of human skin is a filthy, rotten globalist and he is hellbent on enslaving 20% of our population. Having sympathy for ANY politician is ridiculous. These people are LIARS. I will not have sympathy for the devil. GTFO here, boomer.

9. Susan Grant

October 4, 2021 at 6:59 am

If you read what happened in Rimbey, then you would say GO HARDER. INTENTIONAL MALICIOUS MURDER AND CHARACTER ASSASINATION OF A DOCTOR BY HIS STAFF MAKES KENNEY THE MAFIA MURDERER LEADING THE PACK.
    #LockKenneyUCPup

10. p

October 3, 2021 at 2:46 pm

Kenney: All talk no action, does not follow his own rules, massive debt, always attacking small business= not a conservative!!!!

Add to that his recent actions: taking rights away, vilifying a segment of the population and imposing a carding system that will never go away and is reminiscent of Nazi Germany. These have nothing to do with dealing with the Pandemic and everything to do with removing our rights FOREVER.

I was very hopeful with Mr Kenney and the UCP after the election. Shortly after “all talk no action” became Kenney’s mantra and that was before Pandemic. Harry Truman, probably the last honest US president, had a plaque on his desk that said: “The buck stops here”. That is the antithesis of Kenney.

I will never vote for the UCP under Kenney and likely will never vote UCP unless a drastic change in direction occurs under a strong, ethical conservative leader.

Why has the Western Standard all of a sudden become Comrade Kenney’s cheerleaders? Some sort of payoff?

11. Dominic Ieraci

October 3, 2021 at 10:53 am

Makichuk is a clown that doesnt give a fiddlers fuck about our human rights. Why does this idiot even write for this outlet? Talk about misreading the room. If I wanted to hear the mainstream opinion on the pandemic I’d read the fucking CBC. What am I even paying for?

12. secondhandlion@hotmail.com

October 3, 2021 at 10:41 am

I can some what agree with your article to cut Kenney some slack Bcuz U have to realize that NUTLEY hired 2500 AHS “managers” whom R still at AHS; They R all Nutley supporters and all R actively working to sabotage AHS in order to make Kenney & UCP look bad in run up to next elxn. HAVING SAID THAT; 90% of this is Kenney’s fault; He campaigned & promised to fire those high paid do nothing Nutley supporters but then chickened out and is now facing the consequences. But his troubles started long B4 that; He first set up the fair deal panel to make it look like he was actually doing some thing, then when he didn’t like the results (what Albertans really wanted) he has tried his best to bury the report and not act on it’s recommendations! SO do I feel sorry for him; NOT EVEN A LITTLE BIT! He talked a great talk but couldn’t/wouldn’t walk the walk; ALL HAT BUT NO CATTLE! Then I won’t even go into his handling of covid “crisis”

13. Baron Not Baron

October 3, 2021 at 10:22 am

The naivety of this opinion is so blatant that I will not comment on its content. Since when 12 yo are WS contributors?

14. James Taylor

October 3, 2021 at 10:20 am

Awful, awful take. He is ordering aggression upon peaceful people’s lives. All he had to do was have the stones to stand up and say “doing nothing is the best course” along with “there is nothing to be afraid of.”

He is literally saying that people’s bodily autonomy belong’s to government. An objectively evil position to take. “Cut him some slack”.

“Cut him some slack.” ? He is participating in the Totalitarian take over that is sweeping the west and we should “cut him some slack? What an selfish, ignorant and blind Baby boomer you are.

15. Mary Anne Hartley

October 3, 2021 at 9:29 am

I hope you are right that it will pass. If Justin gets his way it will never pass, till we are all 100% under surveilled compliance. This is a move to communism.

16. David

October 3, 2021 at 6:46 am

Kenney is Mandating experimental medical treatments on human beings.

This is a crime against humanity. He deserves a tight rope wrapped around his neck and a short drop off a tall lamp post.

17. Clash

October 3, 2021 at 6:09 am

Kenney is a Communist mole and he is selling us out. Say one thing do another. He has attacked more Pastors and Ministers than any other “Leader” is the world. At best he has sold us out recently, at Worst he has been a Commie mole for decades! I have been a Kenney supporter since his CTF days! NO MORE!!

18. Del French

October 2, 2021 at 11:13 pm

You have a point. I wouldn’t want the job either.

19. Dan Hunter

October 2, 2021 at 6:26 pm

Remember that Kenney’s policies are having a direct effect on people’s lives. It’s not academic. People are losing their jobs. People are being treated like pariahs.
    Today I was thrown out of the Stockman Restaurant in Heritage Pointe for not producing a Vaxx pass. Dave, the manager, yelled at us all the way out in front of the entire restaurant. Do we really want to live in this kind of society?

20. berta baby

October 2, 2021 at 4:21 pm

Who the guy responsible for lying and flip flopping and arresting pastors….he wanted a new base I hope it works out for him

21. Kevin Ross

October 2, 2021 at 3:59 pm

Agreed on the article, this I do know, even on Kenneys worst day I would support him over Notley and her band of misfits.

22. mm

Karen Selick

October 2, 2021 at 3:10 pm

Have you considered the possibility that what they are now labelling as “covid” cases are actually adverse reactions to the vaccines? The symptoms are the same, because the so-called vaccines contain the same toxin (spike proteins) as the alleged virus. There are quite a few experts who believe that the “fourth wave” or “delta wave” is actually just the result of so many people having been vaccine-injured. Did you know that the VAERS database now shows over 700,000 adverse events and over 15,000 deaths from these “vaccines”? If not, you should have a look. Check out my recent videos on this at Bitchute: https://www.bitchute.com/video/hysPcNfb7srw/

23. Declan Carroll

October 2, 2021 at 2:38 pm

Wow! Where to even begin with this train wreck of an article lol. Number 1 we are not “anti vaxxers”. We are against the covid vaccine because it is dangerous. I have family members that are now vaccine injured. Dr Robert Malone and the FDA public advisory board have both said the vaccines are dangerous. We are against this vaccine not all vaccines. The entire situation is a complete fraud Dave. Last year before the vaccines came out I canvased my neighborhood and spoke to the nurses and they all told me the hospitals were empty and that this was a fraud. This isn’t a conspiracy theory it’s up in your face! It’s in your grill. You must take us for fools Dave to think for a second we would buy this garbage. “I personally, don’t think anyone really knows why there is a COVID-19 resurgence in Alberta.” Seriously Dave you have no earthly idea why there is a resurgance of covid-19 after the vaccine rollout. Hahahahahaha hilarious. Yup you do take us for fools. Well according to the FDA Public advisory board the reason this is happening is because the vaccines are leaky and are directly causing infection rates to spike. The vaccines are causing covid. Anyone with any common sense at all would be able to make the correlation between vaccine uptake and spiking rates. It’s not rocket science Dave. In regards to Kenney. No one likes him because every time he opens his mouth nothing but lies come out. He used the power of the state to unjustly violate our rights and trash our economy. He has needlessly caused much suffering. He is at 11 percent approval and at least tyrant Pallister had the good sense to read the writing on the wall and step down. Dave do you think we are daft and we have not been reading the data coming out of other countries that did not go 3rd Reich like we did? Sweden did basically nothing and carried on as usual and there economy and society is intact. Their rates of infection and fatality are lower then ours. Many countries did nothing and life carried on as usual. Yes any drunk picked up from the bar and put in office could have done a better job then Kenney. His actions were downright malevolent and we want him held accountable for his crimes against the people. I don’t know what planet you reside on Dave but it is most definitely not in reality. You are very uneducated on the topic you are trying to speak on and you need to learn about all the facts before passing comment on a highly contentious issue. And no the CBC and Postemedia don’t count.

24. Kelly Carter

October 2, 2021 at 2:00 pm

I would have a lot more respect for Kenney if he would take a position and stick with it instead of flapping in the wind and lying to us. Technically Notley is in control. Deena Hinshaw and the head of AHS are her appointments. Kenney has been following their advice, and if you notice every bad idea Notley comes up with Kenney implements about 2 weeks later. If some of his 180’s were orders from the Feds, we deserve to know. As it stands Kenney takes the heat and Trudeau gets to go to another photo opp.

Add in all the other stuff like a watered down recall legislation, or not standing up to Trudeau, etc, etc…. I am soooooo done with Kenney. The only thing that has been half assed right is the revamp of the education ciriculum.

25. TM

October 2, 2021 at 1:24 pm

Unfortunately much of what is happening now has been so distorted, even by the Western Standard, that most cannot see even a modicum of truth.

Our health care system has been depleted of staff. This is an important factor but often overlooked…blame the unvccinated, not the lack of resources.

We know that the vaccine in fact does NOT work as a vaccine, preventing the spread of the virus. Vaccinated or not, you can spread.

We know that government agencies lie to meet their agenda. This is not new or surprising, it has happened since the first bureaucrat came to be. Why are we not validating AHS claims….they are populated by individuals with both political and monetary agendas. When showing data on who is populating ICU’s, front loading your data sample and starting the sample window from late 2020 will show a very high ratio of unvaccinated to vaccinated in ICU….simply because there were no vaccines at the start of the sample window so EVERY ICU entry is unvaccinated. Misleading? Sure, but that is exactly what these agencies do, and have always done, to further their agenda. How to Lie with statistics 101. And for AHS, with Kenney as the main target, is it really that hard to see them motivated to mislead?

This is a case-demic, nothing more. No news organizations are asking the real questions or doing the necessary FOIP requests to show otherwise.

26. jgl

October 2, 2021 at 1:12 pm

Oh please…

27. Dave Symington

October 2, 2021 at 1:11 pm

Cut him some slack! Really! He has no conservative values, threatening Albertans with medical treatment, bring in vax passes, after saying asking your medical history illegal. I don’t think so! He deserves all the brutality, he has created for himself.

28. d.r.cmolloy@gmail.com

October 2, 2021 at 1:05 pm

Makichuck has tapped into some truth. I to was kenny fan at the get go; his suicide can be planted at the feet of AHS [ no planning too highly paid and pushing the blame away instead of standing up and admit no preparedness.] I and many Albertains would love to get a look at the salaries of AHS exec’s.I believe that the health care staff and some doctors earn their keep. Those that want to be TV stars go to Hollywood.When you get the highest pay in the industry boot up quit complaining and do your job.Two years in and all we hear is shots. What about alternate treatments [to tough blame the anti vexers ] they are the shinning example of my body immune system was desighed to keep me safe and it will do the job.

29. It's a mystery

October 2, 2021 at 12:51 pm

He’s forcing medical injections on citizens who don’t want them – that’s what authoritarians do. He’s also been wildly dishonest throughout this pandemic – again that’s what authoritarians do. People say he’s been a failure but maybe he just has different goals than we though. He got the most freedom loving province in Canada to accept a vaccine passport system, lockdowns and face coverings. If his goal is to bring in a communist style social credit system and an expanded authoritarian state I’d say he’s been exceptionally successful thus far.

30. Andrew Red Deer

October 2, 2021 at 12:19 pm

Anyone who agrees with what Kenney has or is doing is complicit in the results, the deaths from suicide, the family and business destruction. All he needed to do was make sure the AHS takes care of the sick, ALL of the sick. Period.

31. Left Coast

October 2, 2021 at 12:14 pm

South Wales premiere Gladys Berejiklian Resigns took millions from Pfizer it says.

So . . . how much did our Cdn. Premiers get? Has anyone asked that question?

These drug companies have made 10s of BILLIONS . . . while our feckless Health Authorities & our Dumbed-down Premiers have learned absolutely NOTHING in 21 months.

99% of Transmissions are INDOORS . . . so they order the Public to stay INDOORS through 4 or 5 insane Lockdowns?

Now the Hospitals are filling with the VAXED . . . is Kenney aware?

The man is no leader, just another Ontario Progressive like the clown O’Toole !

32. Dennis

October 2, 2021 at 12:10 pm

First, he was elected to fix what the previous NDP government did to this province but instead, he has made most things worse (healthcare being the number one) all under the guise of COVID. Governments across the nation have put us into debt so far we may never recover without even a parliamentary debate on the subject. They have enacted draconian rules talking away our freedoms using COVID as another excuse. Dena Hinshaw wont even appear in court to justify the rules because they know full well they are illegal and violate our very constitution. These people have succeeded in dividing the population like no other time in history and all based on a total fraud.
    Kenny is not alone in this criminal activity but he is front and Center as far as Alberta is concerned. Everyone of these people must stand trial for their crimes and be held accountable. https://www.bitchute.com/video/6m4ttykWpWQY/

33. Andrew

October 2, 2021 at 12:00 pm

What a monumentally stupid column! #WildroseNation

Energy

VENKATACHALAM & KAPLAN: Oil and gas production is essential to BC’s economy

Guest column by Ven Venkatachalam and Lennie Kaplan of the Canadian Energy Centre

British Columbia has been producing oil and natural gas since 1952. In fact, as of 2018, BC produced 32% of Canada’s natural gas production and 2% of Canada’s conventional daily oil production. British Columbia collects royalties from oil and gas development, supporting the economic prosperity in the province.

Want to know how important the oil and natural gas industry is to the BC economy? Using customized Statistic Canada data from 2017 (the latest year available for this comparison), it turns out oil and gas in BC  generated about $18 billion in outputs, consisting primarily of the value of goods and services produced, as well as a GDP of $9.5 billion.

As for what most of us can relate to — jobs — the BC oil and gas industry was responsible for nearly 26,500 direct jobs and more than 36,100 indirect jobs (62,602 jobs in total) in 2017. Also relevant: The oil and gas sector paid out over $3.1 billion in wages and salaries to BC workers that year.

Here’s another slice of statistical bread to consider: In 2017 the BC oil and gas industry purchased $5.6 billion worth of goods and services from other sectors. That included $600 million from the finance and insurance sector, $770 million in professional services, and $2.8 billion from the manufacturing sector, to name just three examples.

Spending by the oil and gas sector in BC is not the only way to consider the impact of the industry. Given that a large chunk of the oil and gas sector is next door in Alberta, let’s look at what Alberta’s trade relationship with its westerly neighbour does for BC.

BC’s interprovincial trade in total with all provinces in 2017 amounted to $39.4 billion. Alberta was responsible for the largest amount at $15.4 billion, or about 38%, of that trade.

That share of BC’s trade exports is remarkable, given that Alberta’s share of Canada’s population was just 11.5 percent in 2017. Alberta consumers, businesses and governments buy far more from BC in goods and services than its population as a share of Canada would suggest would be the case. Alberta’s capital-intensive, high-wage-paying oil and gas sector is a major reason why.

If Alberta were a country, the province’s $15.4 billion in trade with BC would come in behind only the United States (about $22.3 billion in purchases of goods and services from BC) in 2017. In fact, Alberta’s importance to B.C. exports was ranked far ahead of China ($6.9 billion), Japan ($4.5 billion), and South Korea ($2.9 billion)—the next biggest destinations for BC’s trade exports.

BC has a natural advantage for market access in some respects when compared to the United States. For instance, BC’s coast is near to many Asian-Pacific markets than are U.S. Gulf Coast facilities. The distance between the U.S. Gulf Coast and to the Japanese ports of Himeji and Sodegaura is more than 9,000 nautical miles, compared to less than 4,200 nautical miles between those two Japanese ports and the coast of BC.

The recent demand for natural gas in Asia, especially Japan (the largest importer of LNG) and price increase for natural gas, presents an exciting opportunity for BC oil and gas industry. The IEA predicts that by 2024 , natural gas demand forecast in Asia will be up 7% from 2019’s pre-COVID-19  levels.

Be it in employment, salaries and wages paid, GDP, or the purchase of goods and services, the impact of oil and natural gas (and Alberta) on BC’s economy and trade flows is significant.

Guest column by Ven Venkatachalam and Lennie Kaplan are with the Canadian Energy Centre

Opinion

SLOBODIAN: Schuler the black sheep of the Manitoba Tory family

While piously bleating about responsibility in a pandemic, these sheep are cleverly deflecting from their sinister stand on something they don’t support — one’s right to medical privacy.

One Manitoba MLA — the only one of 57 — has the courage to fight for the right to protect private health information.

The rest are either timidly silent or scampering to microphones to vilify this flock member for daring to not run with their sheep in-crowd.

Progressive Conservative Infrastructure Minister Ron Schuler is on the verge of getting ousted from Premier Heather Stefanson’s cabinet and banned from the legislature for refusing to reveal his COVID-19 vaccination status.

Stefanson decreed a COVID-19 vaccination mandate effective December 15 for everyone entering the building.

Years of hard work — Schuler was first elected in 1999, won five subsequent elections, and has held impressive posts — suddenly matter not.

What about the constituents who democratically elected him to represent them? Pfft. Nobody cares.

Like health workers, teachers, oil workers, police officers, firefighters, restaurant employees, Manitobans from all walks of life who won’t comply with questionable, harsh forced mandates, Schuler may be deprived of a right to earn a living

And the lone elected voice of reason in perennial COVID-19 hysteria will be muzzled.

The right to work is now taken away just because something irks elected officials. Not providing proof of COVID-19 vaccination irks them so much they casually destroy careers and lives.

Maybe Schuler’s vaccinated. Maybe he isn’t. He says it’s nobody’s business but his.

“As stated in the house, no one in Caucus is opposed to vaccinations, however, my personal health information is a private matter and I do not discuss my personal health information publicly,” said the Springfield-Ritchot MLA in a written statement to Western Standard.

He refuses media interview requests. Can’t blame him.

The Winnipeg Free Press polled all MLAs about their vaccination status. Aha! Schuler and Seine River PC MLA Janice Morley-Lecomte were outed for refusing to cough up personal information. Morley-Lecomte buckled to pressure and confirmed she’s vaccinated.

No one appears to have a problem with media infringing on liberty and freedom by giving itself licence to poke into something that — until COVID-19 was sacred — an individual’s right to keep health information private.

In this COVID-19 madness, the obliging media increasingly oversteps boundaries it’s supposed to protect.

Angus Reid recently found 70% of 1,000 Canadians surveyed believe employees should be fired if they refuse to be vaccinated. That means they must reveal vaccination status which is private health information.

Would those surveyed feel the same way if a reporter chasing a story asked them about that embarrassing rash in private places, an abortion, reliance on anti-depressants, or any other medical conditions?

If so, it would be useless to run to one’s MLA for help. Readers revealed to me that one Manitoba MLA flippantly told an oil worker who refused the vaccine for religious convictions to just go get vaccinated. He lost his job. Another MLA coolly told a constituent to go hire a lawyer if she didn’t like the rules.

Schuler’s vaccination status commanded new attention when it was revealed that a 70-year-old assistant in his constituency office died of COVID-19.

No details were provided on whether the assistant was vaccinated or where she contracted COVID-19.

But NDP house leader and justice critic Nahanni Fontaine pounced, calling for Schuler to be booted from cabinet, saying it would be “unconscionable” if he remained.

To his credit, Liberal Leader Dougald Lamont said it would be wrong to jump to conclusions about the tragic death, but yes, Schuler should be tossed.

Health Minister Audrey Gordon told media she’s a “vaccine ambassador.”

“I’ve always tried to lead by example in my life. I’m a vaccine ambassador, and if others want to follow my lead, I strongly encourage them to do so,” said Gordon, who with two other cabinet ministers was outed for violating mandates whilst frolicking at a gala sans masks and social distancing.

Schuler has been participating in question period virtually for a few months. The chamber already only allows MLAs in who have received two doses.

Nonetheless, Stefanson imposed a tougher rule — get vaccinated or get banished.

Back to the NDP’s Fontaine who told the Winnipeg Sun MLAs must “step up.”

“And if MLAs don’t stand up, who the heck is supposed to step up?”

Oh, the irony of chastising an MLA who is doing exactly that. Schuler is stepping up heroically, not only for himself but for all being bullied into sharing personal information.

Former Ontario privacy commissioner Dr. Ann Cavoukian recently told Blacklock’s Reporter she rejects vaccine passports in any form.

“You’re talking about people’s personal health information. That is between your doctor and yourself. Now all of that has changed … I find it abhorrent,” said Cavoukian.

“People’s health status is considered to be the most private, sensitive information they have … The problem is privacy protection measures, once they are lifted in an emergency, are seldom restored.”

Schuler appears to understand the sinister ramifications of that. This is about more than him.

The premier and MLAs who choose to represent only Manitobans who dutifully obey them may silence him.

Baaaa….

Slobodian is the Senior Manitoba Columnist for the Western Standard
lslobodian@westernstandardonline.com

Opinion

LOGAN: It’s time to divest from Suzuki

“It’s time to send a message to Suzuki where it will hurt the most – his donors.”

Eco-alarmist David Suzuki has become more than just your everyday environmental activist — he’s become a well-known Canadian brand.

And it’s a brand that helped create the David Suzuki Foundation, which in 2020 raised more than $13 million for various environmental causes.

But what happens when the namesake of your charitable foundation not only feeds into, but repeats the dangerous rhetoric being employed by extreme environmental groups like Extinction Rebellion?

It was at an Extinction Rebellion event in Victoria in November that Suzuki crossed the line between peaceful activism and extremism.

“There are going to be pipelines blown up if our leaders don’t pay attention to what’s going on,” vowed the 85-year-old activist, best known for hosting CBC’s The Nature of Things.

And he wasn’t ready to back down following the outrage sparked by his comments, telling Victoria’s CHEK News it was “absurd” for people to think he was inciting violence and didn’t regret his comment.

“I meant it. I said it. I regret that the media … would take the context of that article, which was a fine report, and put the headline that totally slants it as if I’m inciting violence,” Suzuki said.

The Foundation that bears his name was quick to distance itself from the co-founder’s comments, saying Suzuki wasn’t speaking on their behalf.

Suzuki eventually apologized for his remarks, saying they were said out of “extreme frustration,” and not meant to support violence.

But despite the apology, Suzuki refused to condemn Extinction Rebellion’s defense of his own comments, which only further raised the temperature.

“Not only will pipelines be blown up, but we can be certain that world leaders will be put on trial for treason or worse — be killed,” said Extinction Rebellion’s National Action & Strategy Coordinator Zain Haq, doubling down on Suzuki’s comment.

It’s time to send a message to Suzuki where it will hurt the most — his donors.

You can send a letter today to the David Suzuki Foundation’s largest donors telling them that his violent rhetoric is unacceptable. Just click on this link.

If activists like Suzuki won’t hold themselves accountable, you can do your part to make them accountable to the people who write their paycheque.

Let these companies and foundations know that it’s time to divest from Suzuki!

Guest column by Shawn Logan with the Canadian Energy Centre