fbpx
Connect with us

News

WS EXCLUSIVE: 30+ UCP constituency presidents agree to push for Kenney leadership review

“It was unanimous.”

mm

Published

on

A meeting of United Conservative Party constituency association (CA) presidents agreed unanimously to press for an early leadership review of Alberta Premier Jason Kenney, multiple sources tell the Western Standard.

On September 13, a regularly scheduled virtual meeting of the CA presidents was held with approximately 32 participants, according to several of the presidents who spoke with the Western Standard on condition of anonymity.

According to the sources, the presidents at the meeting agreed to commence the process of passing a special resolution at their local constituency association boards to initiate a leadership review no later than March 2022.

“Nearly all of them supported the motion for an early leadership review,” one of the sources said. “None of them explicitly spoke against it, and I believe that all of them are onboard right now.”

Another CA president told the Western Standard at the conclusion of the discussion “the individual chairing the meeting asked ‘Is there anyone opposed to an early leadership review prior to March 1?’ And nobody spoke up. It was unanimous.”

Facing a membership revolt earlier in the year, the party’s board announced in March Kenney would only face a leadership review in late 2022, just months before the legislated, fixed election period. Political observers at the time said it was a strategic move to improve Kenney’s chances of surviving the vote.

“The AGM of 2022 is way too late,” said one of the presidents. “We have to act now”.

One source said they recall the Olds-Didsbury-Three Hills president saying “My board will have no trouble passing this.”

A Western Standard exclusive on September 17 reported the Olds-Didsbury-Three Hills constituency association passed the resolution for an early leadership review by a vote of 27-1.

One source who spoke to the Western Standard said: “Some expressed concern we weren’t being told the truth about the previous motion’s passed for an earlier leadership review. We know there had been more than five [CAs] that had passed the earlier motion and sent it in [to the central board.] So we discussed that we would send the new motions to the provincial board and at least two other CAs to ensure they could not lie about what motions they had received.”

The UCP has not answered previous questions from media as to how many constituency associations had passed the first round of leadership review resolutions.

“Many CA presidents who were strongly opposed to an earlier review as recently as the early summer had come around to now back the motion,” said one of the presidents who spoke with the Western Standard.

Another president said “A number of CAs on the call still support Premier Kenney, but were concerned that the push for a leadership review had reached a fever pitch and that it was becoming such a huge distraction from government, and that it was better to just get it over with.”

“I wouldn’t know the breakdown [of those still supportive of the premier], because we didn’t get into that”.

In an exclusive interview with the Western Standard on September 17, Olds-Didsbury-Three Hills president Robert Smith said, “In talking to people, mainly rural people, it’s fair to say we have no confidence in the premier.”

While the letter was sent on the heels of controversial new COVID-19 lockdown restrictions introduced by Kenney—including the imposition of a vaccine passport—Smith stressed the letter wasn’t as a result of that, but had instead been brewing for months.

But he said those restrictions could help the momentum to reach the mark of 22 ridings needed to spark a leadership review.

Smith said he gets a sense in talking to other constituency association leaders “critical mass of 22 ridings could have been reached now.

“I feel confident in saying that target can now be met. I’m surprised it hasn’t been met before,” he said.

One of the biggest concerns for the board was when the infamous pictures were published of Kenney holding an outdoor dinner on the balcony of the “Sky Palace” in contravention of the government’s own laws, regulations, and guidelines.

“The entitlement and the double standard incensed the board,” said Smith, adding his board members were also disturbed by the government’s handling of the new curriculum for schools.

In another exclusive story, the Western Standard reported on September 18 the province-wide vice-president (policy) of the UCP sent an e-mail requesting an emergency meeting of the party’s central board to discuss an early leadership review.

Joel Mullan e-mailed the party’s board of directors at 8:33 pm MST September 17, under the subject line “Leadership review—request for meeting.” 

“In light of events this past week, I believe we should meet and therefore request a meeting,” wrote Mullan, vice-president (policy) of the UCP. 

“Specifically, I think we need to carefully consider the option of initiating a leadership review. I believe the future of our party may be at stake.”

The Western Standard spoke to a member of the party’s board of directors who received the e-mail who said—on condition of anonymity—a timely review of Kenney’s leadership has “become inevitable.”

Even earlier this week there were signs of dissension within the UCP Caucus.

During a tense meeting of caucus on September 15, three MLAs told Kenney they had “no confidence” in his continued premiership of the province and leadership of the party, multiple sources told the Western Standard.

Sources inside of the caucus told the Western Standard the emergency meeting saw sharp polarization around the issues of putting the province under another lockdown, a potential mandatory vaccine passport, and firing healthcare workers who did not agree to be vaccinated.

According to the MLAs who attended the caucus meeting, three MLAs openly told Kenney they had “no confidence” in him, and several others implied as much using softer language.

Continue Reading
5 Comments

5 Comments

  1. Andrew

    September 20, 2021 at 10:56 am

    Wildrose Independence Party will fix.

  2. Left Coast

    September 20, 2021 at 10:18 am

    Long past time to get rid of Kenney . . . the “Weak Sister” . . . . and indecisive clown!

  3. Baron Not Baron

    September 20, 2021 at 10:14 am

    i’m leaving room for dessert this week – Kenney’s political funeral cake

  4. Royden Yuill

    September 20, 2021 at 8:39 am

    He’s doing such a bad job that by the time we are 24 months to flatten the curve they will have a leadership review? Did I read the article correctly?
    For the longest time I suspected willful stupidity. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
    Now I’m starting to suspect malignant greed. Just how much stock of Pfizer and Moderna is owned by Kenney, and the UCP, Notley and the NDP, Shandro/ Henshaw and all 3100+ AHS managers? We know it didn’t take long for Kenney to roll over for Trudeau’s Billion Dollar bribe with Our Own Money! How much will stick to his fingers I wonder?

  5. David

    September 20, 2021 at 7:28 am

    Kenney and his entire cabinet should be dismissed.

    Their policies are aimed at making money for certain corporate interests while ignoring the interests and health of the people of Alberta.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

News

Four Alberta doctors file lawsuit againt AHS and Yiu over forced vaccination

“The Plaintiffs oppose being forced against their will to be vaccinated without their informed consent as mandated by AHS,” the statement of claim reads.

mm

Published

on

A statement of claim was filed Friday against Alberta Health Services (AHS) and President and CEO of AHS, Dr. Verna Yiu by four Alberta doctors opposed to vaccination mandates.

“The Plaintiffs oppose being forced against their will to be vaccinated without their informed consent as mandated by AHS,” the statement of claim reads.

“Further, the Plaintiffs are opposed to disclosing their private health information or have disclosed their private health information with respect to their vaccination status against their will under threat of termination or unpaid long-term leave.”

The statement of claim says the plaintiffs are also concerned the COVID-19 vaccines are “experimental and have not undergone sufficient long-term safety observation,” and claim the ingredients for the vaccines have yet to be fully disclosed.

Plaintiff Dr. Joanna Moser is an anesthesiologist in Calgary and Red Deer and has had severe allergies to past vaccines. Moser is concerned about the risks she faces not knowing what the full list of ingredients are and fears having an adverse reaction to the shot but has been denied an exemption.

The legal filing also highlights the doctors’ concerns that “the COVID-19 vaccines do not provide full immunity,” and may only “lessen the severity of symptoms or potentially reduce the risk of hospitalization.”

In addition to citing numerous Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms violations and medical references disputing the safety and efficacy of the vaccines, the statement of claim also says the doctors are facing “discrimination” and have suffered “vilification and extreme ill-will” as a result of “false public statements” that the “unvaccinated are to blame for the pandemic.”

 Local lawyer, Jeffrey Rath of Rath & Company filed the statement of claim on behalf of his clients Friday afternoon and intends to file an injunction application on Monday.

“We’re filing the injunction to provide temporary relief for our clients and others while waiting for this to get to trial,” said Rath in an interview with the Western Standard.

“The injunction will bring broad-based relief to all those unvaccinated within AHS on the basis that it’s creating a toxic work environment and is willfully creating contempt and hatred towards unvaccinated staff members.”

An injunction, if successful, would force the vaccine mandates to be put on hold until the claim is finally determined.

Melanie Risdon is a reporter with the Western Standard
mrisdon@westernstandardonline.com

Continue Reading

News

Banned BC doctor claims COVID ‘the greatest propaganda campaign in human history’

“This is a pandemic caused by the vaccinations and were talking about high school level biology,” said Dr. Nagase.

mm

Published

on

The current COVID-19 crisis is because of a “pandemic caused by vaccination,” said banned Dr. Daniel Nagase, in an exclusive interview with the Western Standard.

Nagase, a B.C. doctor who came under fire for giving patients an unapproved treatment for COVID-19 while working in Alberta hospitals, has been relieved of his duties in September and is no longer permitted to work in Alberta Health Services facilities.

Early October, a video of Nagase speaking at an event commemorating the anniversary of the Nuremburg Trials went viral with his account of working in an Alberta hospital treating COVID-19 patients with Ivermectin, which is also used in agriculture settings.

Western Standard exclusive interview with Dr. Daniel Nagase

The Western Standard shared the video and subsequent tweets from AHS about the incident.

“All physicians — including temporary locums — are governed by AHS’ medical bylaws when working in an AHS facility. Under these bylaws, there are expectations for all physicians to follow regarding unapproved use of medical therapy,” said AHS.

Nagase said he is not against vaccines, but said “there’s never been anything like this given to humans,” referencing the mRNA COVID-19 vaccines.

“Medically speaking, scientifically speaking, this is a lot closer to gene therapy than it is other vaccines that have been put out in history,” Nagase said adding he has not had a COVID-19 shot yet.

Nagase said his life has been turned upside down since he began to speak out about his experience being relieved of duty for treating COVID-19 patients with Ivermectin, but added, “I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

Since his message has gone viral on social media, Nagase said he’s been able to reach more people with his message that “Ivermectin is a safe medication for coronavirus 19.”

Nagase has researched trials in other countries and said, “in every single one of those studies, Ivermectin worked. In moderate COVID and mild COVID mortality is reduced to zero.”

Also concerning to Nagase is that doctors are being prevented from treating patients as they would have been able to in the past.

“What they did is something that has never been done in 200 years of medical history. They banned doctors from trying a medication and banned patients from receiving it,” said Nagase of how Ivermectin was prohibited from being prescribed and used to treat COVID-19 in Canada.

Nagase has been banned from hospital practice in all AHS facilities, but is still able to practice if he opened his own office. However, Nagase said as of Monday, the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta has asked him to voluntarily withdraw his licence.

“And usually when they demand you voluntarily withdraw your licence, it’s because they are leading up to involuntary revocation of your license,” he said.

Nagase also slammed the Alberta government for its handling of the health crisis.

“It has been completely anti-science,” Nagase said who went on to explain “when healthy people wear masks, you are actually driving the evolution for any virus to overcome that mask.”

“This is a pandemic caused by the vaccinations and were talking about high school level biology.

“I’m worried that we are living through the greatest propaganda campaign in human history,” Nagase said when asked why he believes there is such conflicting information around the pandemic.

When asked how he would have handled dealing with the pandemic, Nagase said, “two weeks to flatten the curve and that’s it. Isolate only the people that are at high risk of dying — that’s all.”

Nagase is in Calgary speaking at the Freedom Talk conference running Friday and Saturday. Details on the conference are here.

For those not on Facebook, the video will also be available here on Rumble.

Melanie Risdon is a reporter with the Western Standard
mrisdon@westernstandardonline.com

Continue Reading

News

BC Liberals refuse to accept Gunn as leadership candidate

“LEOC concluded that to approve Mr. Gunn’s candidacy would be inconsistent with the BC Liberal Party’s commitment to reconciliation, diversity and acceptance of all British Columbians,” said the party in a statement.

mm

Published

on

BC Liberals have told Aaron Gunn he will not be allowed to stand as a candidate for the leadership of the party.

“After a thorough review of Mr. Gunn’s statements on social media, both public and private, and after having provided Mr. Gunn with the opportunity to respond to concerns raised by certain of those statements, LEOC concluded that to approve Mr. Gunn’s candidacy would be inconsistent with the BC Liberal Party’s commitment to reconciliation, diversity and acceptance of all British Columbians,” said the party in a statement.

Gunn was less than pleased with the decision.

“Today, it became clear that conservatives, and all British Columbians who believe in common sense and freedom of speech, are no longer welcome in today’s BC Liberal party. I will be releasing a full statement later today, but rest assured, if you think this fight is over, you couldn’t be more wrong,” he tweeted.

Gunn tweet

“mm 7 unelected, non-Indigenous insiders decided my candidacy would be inconsistent with “reconciliation”… Meanwhile, it was ACTUALLY supported by the only Indigenous person in the race,” he tweeted.

“Imagine being so entitled and arrogant that you believe a small group of unelected insiders should decide the future direction of a political party and not its democratic membership.”

Gunn announced on October 9 he would try and run for the leadership.

“I’m tired of sitting on the sidelines … the policies being enacted are the antithesis to common sense,” Gunn told an enthusiastic crowd assembled at the Greek Community Centre in Saanich — a municipality of the Greater Victoria area — moments ago.

“For too long, politicians have promised us one thing, but failed to deliver once in power … under the NDP things have gotten worse,” he said, referring to John Horgan’s government.

“I think it’s time for a change, I think it’s time for renewal and I think it’s time for common sense,” he said moments before officially announcing his candidacy.

Gunn, 31, who planned on running under the banner: Bring Back Common Sense, tried to join six others — Gavin Dew, Kevin Falcon, Michael Lee, Val Litwin, Ellis Ross, and Renee Merrifield — who’ve already tossed their hats into the leadership race ring.

His said priorities would have included scrapping the carbon tax, “serious” health care reform, and opposing vaccine passports.

“I’ll be the only one in the race opposing those, as I believe I have a substantially different approach than the other candidates. I’ve got very clear positions on on the development of resources, on supporting our forest industry, on supporting our energy industry, and a whole bunch of other things.”

Gunn said changes need to come from the top.

“I think it all starts with political leadership,” he said.

“When (police) feel they don’t have the political support, or no one’s got their back, I think that trickles down into what you see in everyday policing issues. I know many police — I’ve talked to people in the Vic PD, for example — they know sometimes they arrest one of these people, and they do all the paperwork only to see them back on the streets in just a matter of days, or even less.

“So I think there’s lots of problems and, provincially, there’s only so much you can do, but you can direct prosecutors to pursue maximum sentences, and to pursue people who are repeatedly and flagrantly breaking the law.”

Gunn served Canada during a three-year stint in the Army Reserves straight out of university, before he went to work for the Canadian Taxpayer’s Federation where he founded and became executive director of the “Generation Screwed” initiative which battled government debt, among other issues.

He’s been on the fringes of the political scene for the past three years or so, and his YouTube videos have garnered more than 50 million views and tens of thousands of followers, making him one of British Columbia’s most listened to political voices. (As an example, his Facebook followers number 20,000 more than Premier John Horgan).

Gunn said he not only wants to rebrand the BC Liberal Party — which is not affiliated with its similarly named federal party, but to rename it, as well, to reflect his and other party member’s conservatism.

Continue Reading

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Share

Petition: No Media Bailouts

We the undersigned call on the Canadian government to immediately cease all payouts to media companies.

584 signatures

No Media Bailouts

The fourth estate is critical to a functioning democracy in holding the government to account. An objective media can't maintain editorial integrity when it accepts money from a government we expect it to be critical of.

We the undersigned call on the Canadian government to immediately cease all payouts to media companies.

**your signature**



The Western Standard will never accept government bailout money. By becoming a Western Standard member, you are supporting government bailout-free and proudly western media that is on your side. With your support, we can give Westerners a voice that doesn\'t need taxpayers money.

Share this with your friends:

Trending

Copyright © Western Standard New Media Corp.