fbpx
Connect with us

News

Kenney to protect hospitals from COVID protesters

Earlier this month, protesters surrounded several hospitals around the province and ended up harassing patients and staff.

mm

Published

on

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney says his government will take steps to protect patients and staff at provincial hospitals.

Kenney told a press conference Tuesday he will add hospitals into the Critical Infrastructure Defence Act.

Earlier this month, protesters surrounded several hospitals around the province and ended up harassing patients and staff.

“This adds to the stress overburdened health care workers,” said Kenney.

Kenney said with hospitals added under the act, police will be able to lay criminal charges against trespassers.

Kenney also updated the status of ICUs in the province. He said Alberta Health Services has expanded the number of beds by “197 surge spaces.”

He said without the extra space, ICU beds in the province would be at 184% capacity.

Kenney said he has spent the last few days on the phone with business leaders, faith leaders and other companies urging them to get their people vaccinated.

Alberta now has a total of 83.2% of people that have received one COVID-19 vaccine with 74% fully vaccinated with two doses.

The province is set to launch a new advertising blitz to try and convince the unvaccinated to get jabs.

Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Deena Hinshaw said they are bringing in a requirement for child care facilities for their staff to adhere to forced masking.

She said people who are unvaccinated are sneaking into hospitals to visit people, putting others in danger.

Hinshaw announced in the last 24 hours there’d been 1,246 new cases from 11,100 tests, with a positivity rate of 11.5% She said there are 1,100 people in hospital suffering from COVID-19 with 263 in ICU.

There has been an additional 18 deaths.

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard and the Vice-President: News Division of Western Standard New Media Corp. He has served as the City Editor of the Calgary Sun and has covered Alberta news for nearly 40 years. dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com

Continue Reading
9 Comments

9 Comments

  1. Cosmo Kramer

    September 29, 2021 at 7:23 am

    To protect patients and staff? Really kenney???

    The protests are not against patients and staff (many of the protesters are patients and staff). They are peaceful and there has been no violence.

    The protests are against you KENNEY and your evil corrupt government.

  2. Kelly Carter

    September 29, 2021 at 6:54 am

    Kenney sounds like Notley. I am beginning to think they are the same person. They certainly govern the same way. Meanwhile those of us now being forced into compliance are on the phone with lawyers. The data is also very clear that the vaccinated are spreading viruses more effectively than the unvaccinated, and it is the vaccinated who are becoming more sick in other countries. Alberta is behind on that curve, but by this time next month the majority of COVID hospitalized will be the vaccinated.

  3. Jennifer Dyck

    September 28, 2021 at 9:53 pm

    Check out Israel’s data, double-vaxxed are the drivers of new infections, Oxford University’s study that shows double-vaxxed carry 261 times more viral load than someone who hasn’t subjected themselves to this experimental jab. Wake up, Albertans! Kenney’s aggressive language against people who still exercise their freedom to choose not to participate in this is driving segregation, mistrust, and hatred. He is pushing the envelope of hate speech. Is he deliberately trying to get people to attack the freedom-of-choicers? What happened to the freedom-loving Albertans that used to live here? Being “fully vaccinated” doesn’t protect you from anything – not severe outcomes, not hospitalization, not death, not the government. Why are “fully vaccinated” people still having to wear masks and “social distance”? Where is the promise of “getting back to normal”?? And if they don’t get the “boosters” (read, vaccine failure), they will be considered “unvaccinated”. A friend with a severe reaction to shot #1, still off work after 2 1/2 weeks, will get fired if they don’t get the second shot. So, the employer is willing to potentially have this person die from the second shot. Since when did your boss get to gamble with YOUR LIFE?

  4. Declan Carroll

    September 28, 2021 at 9:34 pm

    The question is who will protect us from the tyranny of Kenny’s regime?

  5. d.r.cmolloy@gmail.com

    September 28, 2021 at 9:11 pm

    How can any sane person be happy with whats going on in Alberta. Lock downs and death by delay.Not all people need AHS running the show, Lack of Planning at the start has been the issueCut the dead wood and don’t count on the shots for salvation.Were are the alternate programmes in other countries that the media never mentions . blame the no shot Albertas must be their fault.

  6. jgl

    September 28, 2021 at 5:27 pm

    Jason Kenney failed to mention that many at the Foothills rally were AHS staff. And since then growing numbers of Alberta nurses, doctors and other health care professionals have protested, criticized and condemned AHS covid measures, policies and vaccines.
    Jason Kenney and the political elites have no choice but to continue lying. This isn’t about a virus. It never was.

  7. Left Coast

    September 28, 2021 at 5:25 pm

    “She said people who are unvaccinated are sneaking into hospitals to visit people, putting others in danger.” ? ? ?

    Insane statement that likely has ZERO evidence. Propaganda and lies . . .

    How many Covid Patients in Hospital today a Single & Double VAXED?

  8. Proud Albertan

    September 28, 2021 at 4:42 pm

    18 deaths overnight? We need to look up city obits or call funeral homes…

  9. K

    September 28, 2021 at 4:23 pm

    That didn’t happen. Workers were protesting against getting fired for not taking experimental poison, and they did it from the sidewalk.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

News

WATCH: Alberta Oil drives Guilbeault to meeting with Nixon

Federal Environment Minister Stephen Guilbeault’s tour of Alberta has already kicked off with a whiff of hypocrisy.

mm

Published

on

Attended by a sizable entourage, Guilbeault exited his black gasoline-powered SUV and hustled into the McDougall Centre in Calgary for a meeting with Alberta Environment Minister Jason Nixon.  

Guilbeault has dedicated most of his career to telling Canadians they need to transition from petrochemically fueled transportation. During this meeting though, Guilbeault chose not to find an utilize an electric-powered SUV in order to demonstrate his environmental virtue. With the resources of the entire federal government behind him, one would have thought that Guilbeault could have arranged appropriate transportation for his cross-Canada tour.  

It’s almost as if electric vehicles are still not ready for mainstream use yet. 

At least Guilbeault contributed to the Western economy with his conspicuous consumption of local petrochemical products.  

Continue Reading

News

Officials urge booster injections to tackle lingering Delta variant amid Omicron craze

The WHO classified Omicron as a “variant of concern,” however, the South African doctor who discovered Omicron in her patient says she is “stunned” by the response.

mm

Published

on

The National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI) is now strongly urging COVID-19 booster injections for those over the age of 50.

In addition, the committee is now recommending boosters of an authorized mRNA vaccine to those 18-49 years of age at least six months after completion of a “primary COVID-19 vaccine series with consideration of jurisdictional and individual risks.”

The announcement comes amid global discussion of the Omicron variant. The federal government requested on Tuesday that NACI swiftly review its booster guidance in response to Omicron.

The NACI’s new booster recommendation, however, focuses on the lingering Delta variant while more details are gathered on Omicron.

On Nov. 26, 2021, the World Health Organization (WHO) classified Omicron as a “variant of concern,” although the South African doctor who discovered Omicron in her patient says she is “stunned” by the response.

“As chair of the South African Medical Association and a GP of 33 years standing, I have seen a lot over my medical career,” writes Dr. Angelique Coetzee, in an op-ed for the Daily Mail.

“But nothing has prepared me for the extraordinary global reaction that met my announcement this week that I had seen a young man in my surgery who had a case of COVID that turned out to be the Omicron variant.”

The young man was unaware he had contracted the virus.

Coetzee says she has seen nothing about the variant that warrants panic.

“No one here in South Africa is known to have been hospitalized with the Omicron variant, nor is anyone here believed to have fallen seriously ill with it,” writes Coetzee.

She also says the variant has been circulating South Africa for “some time.”

Viruses — such as COVID-19 — have their own DNA or RNA, therefore allowing them to mutate into new forms.

“This virus is going exactly how you’d expect,” Dr. Steven Pelech, chair of the Scientific and Medical Advisory Committee at the Canadian Covid Care Alliance, told the Western Standard.

“Strains are going to predominate which are more infectious and mild. That’s how it displaces other variants, it doesn’t kill the host. The host often doesn’t even know they are infected.”

Pelech — who is far from alone in his analysis — suggests the “variants of concern,” including Delta, are merely steps towards COVID-19 evolving into a common coronavirus. One that is highly infectious and exceedingly mild.

The Canadian government implemented additional travel restrictions in response to Omicron on November 30 — built upon previous measures.

“We know that these concerning mutations can arise and, where vaccinations are low in parts of the world, they can spread rapidly,” said BC Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry on Tuesday.

BC officials say the province will have more information on Omicron and its implications — such as vaccine efficacy — in the coming weeks.

“Isn’t this the same playbook we heard a year ago with the Delta variant?” said Pelech.

Reid Small is a BC-based reporter for the Western Standard
rsmall@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/reidsmall

Continue Reading

News

Surrey RCMP investigating rocks thrown from overpass

Multiple vehicles, including a transit bus, were damaged by rocks hurled from the pedestrian overpass. Fortunately, no one was injured.

mm

Published

on

Several incidents involving rocks thrown onto Highway 99 in South Surrey have prompted an investigation from Surrey RCMP.

Multiple vehicles, including a transit bus, were damaged by rocks hurled from the pedestrian overpass. Fortunately, no one was injured.

The first incident took place on November 26, at 7:44 p.m. when a semi-truck and bus were struck with rocks. The following incident, involving another two semi-trucks occurred three days later on November 29 at 10:49 p.m., and most recently, November 30 at 10:20 p.m. when yet another two semi-trucks were damaged.

“These incidents are very concerning. Throwing objects off of the overpass has the potential to cause serious or even fatal injuries to the occupants of vehicles,” said Cpl. Vanessa Munn, Surrey RCMP.

“We are asking anyone with information to contact police. If you reside in the area please check your residential cameras and be sure to report all suspicious activity to police.”

The overpass where these incidents took place is between the 32 Avenue and King George Boulevard exits of Highway 99.

Reid Small is a BC-based reporter for the Western Standard
rsmall@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/reidsmall

Continue Reading

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Share

Petition: No Media Bailouts

We the undersigned call on the Canadian government to immediately cease all payouts to media companies.

805 signatures

No Media Bailouts

The fourth estate is critical to a functioning democracy in holding the government to account. An objective media can't maintain editorial integrity when it accepts money from a government we expect it to be critical of.

We the undersigned call on the Canadian government to immediately cease all payouts to media companies.

**your signature**



The Western Standard will never accept government bailout money. By becoming a Western Standard member, you are supporting government bailout-free and proudly western media that is on your side. With your support, we can give Westerners a voice that doesn\'t need taxpayers money.

Share this with your friends:

Trending

Copyright © Western Standard New Media Corp.