fbpx
Connect with us

News

Oops! Taxman deposits into wrong account for 13 years

CRA lawyers admitted back payments were owed to the legitimate claimant and said they would attempt to recover cash given to the wrong person.

mm

Published

on

The complaint of a Calgary mother she didn’t get her tax refund has led to the discovery the Canada Revenue Agency had been making direct deposits into the wrong taxpayer’s account for a whopping 13 years.

“GST credits and Canada Child Benefit credits had been paid into the account since 1997,” wrote Federal Court Justice Andrew Little.

He issued an unopposed Court order compelling the Royal Bank to disclose the name and address of the account holder who mistakenly received the payments.

The unnamed Calgary woman in 2019 complained to the CRA.

“The Bank advised the taxpayer has had no accounts at RBC since 1997,” wrote Little, who didn’t detail the amount of the wrong payments.

CRA lawyers admitted back payments were owed to the legitimate claimant and said they would attempt to recover cash given to the wrong person.

The case follows 2020 disclosures that federal agencies sent $5,713,290 in tax refunds and benefit cheques to the wrong accounts.

Most of the money, $4.2 million, was recovered from honest account holders. However $1,426,564 vanished and was “not expected to be recovered,” according to Public Accounts.

The Employment department earlier estimated, over a 10-year period, from 2004 to 2013, it directly deposited $16.3 million in benefits to dormant accounts of dead employees.

“The process to recover the money is not easy,” the department said in a 2016 statement.

“There are situations where there is no estate, for example, when there is often an inability to collect the amounts owing,” wrote staff.

Difficulties with waylaid payments followed a failed 2013 program to abolish all Government of Canada paper cheques in favour of direct deposit. The Department of Public Works calculated it cost 82¢ to cut a paper cheque plus postage compared to 13¢ to process electronic transactions.

The program was intended to save $17 million a year but instead cost $19 million before it was abandoned as unworkable.

Continue Reading
4 Comments

4 Comments

  1. Steven

    August 21, 2021 at 7:45 am

    Premier Kenney had his chance to prove he was the real deal for Albertans, but turned out, in the end, to be Canada’s Staunch Federalist.

    The Alberta Premier, who pledged more autonomy for Albertans, including taking tax collection away from the Federal Government & putting it in the hands of Albertans reneged on that and many more promises.

    I agree, Albertans need the Wildrose Party who will bring about an Albertan Revenue Agency.

  2. Dennis

    August 11, 2021 at 1:19 pm

    Hey folks, you do realize these are the same idiots that Alberta sends your hard earned 50 Billion Dollars a year to so they can give us back a paltry sum of 20 Billion. If you’re OK with that, vote for the UCP or NDP (6 of 1, half a dozen of the other) OR, step out of the status quo and place your vote for Alberta and Albertans with the Wildrose Independence Party of Alberta and keep the whole 50 Billion here in Alberta in the Alberta Revenue Agency.
    Go to Wildrose.party and take a serious look at your future.

  3. Dennis

    August 11, 2021 at 1:07 pm

    The best way to cure this ailment is: Wildrose.party

  4. CodexCoder

    August 11, 2021 at 1:01 pm

    Heaven help an individual if they fall afoul of the CRA. Their penalties are absolutely draconian – ask the writer of “The Grumpy Accountant”. And to boot, if you ask for their advice, they will be wrong 13% of the time per their own stats. This comes from a tax act that has not been revised since the time of Lester B Pearson.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

News

Kenney leadership review to be held April 9 in Red Deer, in convention-style vote

The UCP board decided not to listen to demands from 22 constituency associations that wanted a review by March at the latest, said a Western Standard source close to the board.

mm

Published

on

Editor’s note. Due to a typo, the initial version of the story said the review would be April 6. Sources say the vote will take place April 9.

A pay-to-vote leadership review of United Conservative Party leader Jason Kenney will be held April 9 in Red Deer, the Western Standard has learned.

The UCP board decided not to listen to demands from 22 constituency associations that wanted a review by March at the latest, said a Western Standard source close to the board.

The source said the board felt it was “being generous” to the 22 rebel ridings by holding a review in April.

Details on how much it will cost to go to the conference are still being worked out, but it will be a system where you have to pay to vote, the source said.

Those details are expected to be announced in January.

While the board meeting was “friendly,” pro-Kenney factions later held long discussions to plan strategy, said the source.

A convention-style review appears to favour Kenney as opposed to a one-vote-per-party-member system as Kenney is famed for his political organizing power.

His office came under fire last month for allegedly using money from third-party political action committees (PACs) to send people to the UCP AGM which turned into a Kenney love-fest that left the leader smiling.

Kenney denied knowledge of the PAC money.

“I’m not involved in third party organizations, but third party political organizations are free, within the law, to be involved in politics,” said Kenney.

Prior to the AGM Airdrie-Cochrane UCP MLA Peter Guthrie sent Kenney a letter which said the party was on the verge of collapse. 

“Public opinion continues to wane, and we may be at a point where this party cannot be salvaged,” writes Guthrie, in the letter obtained by the Western Standard.

“Membership has fallen from 150,000 to less than 10,000 and fundraising is evaporating along with our credibility.”

Much of the UCP grassroots frustration has come on the heels of controversial COVID-19 lockdown restrictions. Kenney also brought in a vaccine passport scheme he vowed never to introduce.

Another scandal that infuriated UCP members was when the infamous pictures were published of Kenney holding an outdoor dinner on the balcony of the “Sky Palace” in contravention of the government’s of laws, regulations, and guidelines.

In April, a UCP MLA told the Western Standard they are “100% certain” Kenney would be the subject of an early party leadership review.

“Caucus is in total chaos,” said the MLA, who spoke with the Western Standard on the condition of anonymity.

But the expected caucus revolt failed to materialize.

At one point the caucus booted MLAs Todd Loewen and Drew Barnes for dissension.

Editor’s note. Due to a typo, the initial version of the story said the review would be April 6. Sources say the vote will take place April 9.

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Continue Reading

News

YouTube cancels Western Standard for reporting news story

“Your channel now has one strike,” said YouTube in the e-mail, adding Western Standard’s account has been suspended for one week.

mm

Published

on

YouTube issued one strike against the Western Standard for reporting on a Calgary police officer who was put on leave for refusing the COVID-19 vaccinations.

YouTube sent the notification via e-mail to Derek Fildebrandt, president and CEO of the Western Standard, on Wednesday, and stated the video included in the story violates YouTube’s “medical misinformation policy.”

“YouTube doesn’t allow claims about COVID-19 vaccinations that contradict expert consensus from local health authorities or the World Health Organization (WHO),” said the e-mail.

“YouTube banned our account for sharing content that contradicted the advice of the WHO and local health authorities,” said Fildebrandt.

“But the WHO and local health authorities contradict themselves. One such health authority, Alberta Health Services (AHS), had to contradict itself after the Western Standard caught them lying to Albertans about which they falsely claimed was a COVID-19 death of a child.”

The notice indicated YouTube had removed the video stating, “We know this might be disappointing, but it’s important to us that YouTube is a safe place for all.”

In the video, an emotional Const. Brian Denison, a 24-year veteran with the Calgary Police Service (CPS), explained the turmoil he has faced for refusing to be vaccinated by the December 1 deadline set out by the CPS.

Denison, one year from retirement, called the vaccine policy a “farce” and said the CPS is “bullying” staff. He also described the segregation of society into the “vaccinated and unvaccinated” as similar to Hitler’s Nazi regime.

The Western Standard’s News Editor Dave Naylor covered the story in an unbiased fashion and included the video of Denison.

“Your channel now has one strike,” said YouTube in the e-mail, adding Western Standard’s account has been suspended for one week.

The YouTube team further warned a second strike will result in a two-week suspension and three strikes within a 90-day period would result in the channel being permanently removed.

“YouTube — like other big tech and big social corporations — is so terrified of being regulated by the government that it over-regulates itself,” said Fildebrandt.

“In time, these monopolies will destroy themselves.”

The Western Standard has already submitted an appeal to YouTube and contacted their press department, as well as moved the video in question to Rumble.

“Of all the social media giants, YouTube has the weakest monopoly,” said Fildebrandt.

“They can ban the Western Standard and other media from posting legitimate news content all they like, and we’ll just put it on other platforms. That’s why we’ve been making a concerted effort to utilize platforms with a greater respect for free speech, like Rumble.”

The Western Standard did not receive a response from YouTube’s press department in time for publishing.

Melanie Risdon is a reporter with the Western Standard
mrisdon@westernstandardonline.com

Continue Reading

News

Canada joins growing diplomatic boycott of Chinese 2022 Olympics

The countries say the move is to protest the human rights record of the Chinese government, especially when it comes to the minority Uyghur Muslim community.

mm

Published

on

First, it was the US. Then Australia. Now Canada has joined the list of countries refusing to send diplomats or high-level officials to the Beijing Winter Olympics next year.

The countries say the move is to protest the human rights record of the Chinese government, especially when it comes to the minority Uyghur Muslim community.

Canadian athletes will still be allowed to compete.

“For months, we have been coordinating and discussing the issue with our allies,” Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told reporters Wednesday.

“As many partners around the world, we are extremely concerned by the repeated human rights violations by the Chinese government.

“This should not come as a surprise” to the Chinese regime, said Trudeau.

“(The athletes) need to have one thing in mind and that’s representing the country to the best of their ability and winning a gold medal for Canada,” he said.

Earlier this year, the House of Commons passed a motion calling the violence directed at religious minorities in China’s Xinjiang province as “genocide.” Trudeau and his cabinet were absent for the vote.

In a statement, the Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) said it “understands and respects” the decision and applauds the effort to “draw an important distinction between the participation of athletes and the participation of government officials.”

Canada’s last Olympic boycott was in Russia in 1980, protesting that country’s invasion of Afghanistan.

The US announced its decision on Monday.

“U.S. diplomatic or official representation would treat these games as business as usual in the face of the [People’s Republic of China]’s egregious human rights abuses and atrocities in Xinjiang, and we simply can’t do that,” White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said during a briefing.

Chinese officials have already said the US will pay for its boycott.

Continue Reading

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Share

Petition: No Media Bailouts

We the undersigned call on the Canadian government to immediately cease all payouts to media companies.

835 signatures

No Media Bailouts

The fourth estate is critical to a functioning democracy in holding the government to account. An objective media can't maintain editorial integrity when it accepts money from a government we expect it to be critical of.

We the undersigned call on the Canadian government to immediately cease all payouts to media companies.

**your signature**



The Western Standard will never accept government bailout money. By becoming a Western Standard member, you are supporting government bailout-free and proudly western media that is on your side. With your support, we can give Westerners a voice that doesn\'t need taxpayers money.

Share this with your friends:

Trending

Copyright © Western Standard New Media Corp.