fbpx
Connect with us

News

UPDATED: BC gangster Gianis finally has his luck run out

Officers located the man around 2:00 a.m. near a river.

mm

Published

on

A BC gangster who survived an assassination attempt in Kelowna on the weekend has finally seen his dance with the Grim Reaper come to an end.

Kyle Gianis – who survived the fourth assassination attempt on his life on the weekend – killed himself after stabbing two women at a campsite near Enderby, say RCMP.

RCMP said they were called about a double stabbing about midnight on Monday in the small town.

Gianis was reportedly acting in an erratic manner.

The area was cordoned off and a search was launched for him which included the use of a police dog.

Officers located Gianis around 2:00 a.m. down an embankment near a river, in medical distress due to what appeared to be self-inflicted injuries.

Despite the efforts of police and medical personnel, he died at the scene.

Gianis had earlier survived the fourth unsuccessful attempt on his life and the second time he has been shot in four months.

Kelowna RCMP rushed to the shooting in the area of Pandosy Street and KLO Road in Kelowna just before 7 p.m. Saturday.

Both victims – Gianis and an unnamed 25-year-old male – were transported to the hospital.

Gianis, who has been skirting the Grim Reaper for years, was treated for non-life-threatening injuries and released.

The 25-year-old remained in the hospital as of Monday.

“We have reason to believe this was a targeted attack on these two men,” said Insp. Beth McAndie of the Kelowna RCMP.

“Because of his criminal activities and associates, Mr. Gianis poses a threat to our community and the public in general, and we are putting all our resources into investigating this newest incident.”

Witnesses reported a man fleeing the area in a silver SUV, and while investigating the scene, police officers discovered what is believed to be an undetonated bomb. The area was immediately cordoned off.

The repeated attempts on his life seem to fall on deaf ears when it comes to Gianis, who has survived a number of assassination attempts. The most recent taking place in March when he was shot outside of a Global Fitness, in Kelowna.

He quickly took to social media to mock his would-be killers, reported Postmedia.

“I hope you kept your receipt goof troop crew to get a refund cause your order didn’t go through,” he said.

In 2017, he was the target of a shooting in Langley, BC which resulted in the death of Tyler Pastuck. David Tull was sentenced to nearly 12 years in prison for the conspiracy to murder Gianis that resulted in Pastuck’s death, although he was not the trigger man.

In 2018, Surrey nurse Paul Bennett was killed when an assassin – who was reportedly hunting Gianis – murdered the wrong man. Bennet, the 47-year-old nurse and minor hockey coach was gunned down in broad daylight near his Cloverdale home.

In 2008, Gianis was jailed for 13 years in Washington state for smuggling the chemical used to make meth. He was transferred back to Canada where he was granted day parole in 2013.

As the Enderby incident is now under investigation by the IIO BC, no further information will be released by police.

The IIO is the independent civilian oversight agency of the police in British Columbia. It investigates all officer-related incidents that result in serious harm or death, whether or not there is any allegation of wrongdoing.

THE IIO said when Southeast District Emergency Response Team found Gianis they “cautiously approached with use of tear gas and a 40mm less-lethal round.”

Reid Small is a BC correspondent for the Western Standard
rsmall@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/reidsmall

Continue Reading
3 Comments

3 Comments

  1. luigi

    August 6, 2021 at 8:12 am

    Too bad it took as long as it did. Another drug induced POS out of the system. Saving taxpayers thousands if not millions!

  2. Claudette Leece

    August 5, 2021 at 8:59 pm

    One less we have to pay taxes for in jail. Play dangerous games, get dangerous prizes

  3. John Lankers

    August 5, 2021 at 7:56 pm

    Good Riddance!
    I hope he died a slow painful death.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

News

CRA wants more tax filers to use mail

The government’s own research shows millions of paper filers resist change.

mm

Published

on

The taxman is angry that too many Canadians are still filing by mail, says Blacklock’s Reporter.

The government’s own research shows millions of paper filers resist change.

“Those who submit their taxes by mail most often say they use paper rather than filing electronically because it is simply how they prefer to do it, e.g. they do it out of habit, because ‘it’s what they are comfortable with,’ they like it, etcetera,” said a Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) report.

“Just 13% cite security issues.”

Data show of 30.5 million tax returns filed this year a total 2.7 million or 9% were filed on paper. Millions of taxpayers, a total 4,234,772 including Internet filers, demanded refunds be paid by mailed cheque instead of direct deposit.

The CRA complained it would be “more timely and efficient” if all taxpayers used the Internet. The Agency spends $6.9 million annually mailing T1 general tax forms alone.

“There is still a sizable proportion of taxpayers who are conducting their business with the Canada Revenue Agency through paper rather than taking advantage of digital services which are much more timely and efficient,” said the report.

Research showed typical paper filers were working age men under 55 who completed their own return without a tax preparer, had a university degree, earned more than $80,000 a year and were more likely than other Canadians to prefer in-person teller service rather than online banking.

“The most important factor influencing why respondents file by paper instead of online is disinterest,” wrote researchers, who added: “Apathy is a barrier. Fifty percent of likely switchers say they are simply not interested in switching. Therefore the agency will have to demonstrate the value of switching.”

Findings were based on questionnaires with 2,000 taxpayers who filed returns by mail. The Agency paid Earnscliffe Strategy Group $130,061 for the survey.

The research follows a failed 2012 campaign to have all Canadians use direct deposit for payment of tax refunds and benefit cheques. The attempt by the Receiver General of Canada, the federal office responsible for processing payments, was intended to save costs. Paper cheques cost 82¢ apiece to process compared to 13¢ for electronic transfers, by official estimate.

An estimated 13% of taxpayers refused to surrender bank account information to the Receiver General. “Cheque recipients have become harder to engage,” said a 2020 Department of Public Works survey.

“A few have a general distrust of the Government of Canada’s ability to protect data,” wrote researchers. A total 23 percent of Atlantic residents said they wouldn’t rely on the government to protect their privacy, followed by 22% in Saskatchewan and Manitoba, 21% in Ontario, 19% in Alberta, 18% in BC and 12% in Québec.

Continue Reading

News

WATCH: Alberta Oil drives Guilbeault to meeting with Nixon

Federal Environment Minister Stephen Guilbeault’s tour of Alberta has already kicked off with a whiff of hypocrisy.

mm

Published

on

Attended by a sizable entourage, Guilbeault exited his black gasoline-powered SUV and hustled into the McDougall Centre in Calgary for a meeting with Alberta Environment Minister Jason Nixon.  

Guilbeault has dedicated most of his career to telling Canadians they need to transition from petrochemically fueled transportation. During this meeting though, Guilbeault chose not to find an utilize an electric-powered SUV in order to demonstrate his environmental virtue. With the resources of the entire federal government behind him, one would have thought that Guilbeault could have arranged appropriate transportation for his cross-Canada tour.  

It’s almost as if electric vehicles are still not ready for mainstream use yet. 

At least Guilbeault contributed to the Western economy with his conspicuous consumption of local petrochemical products.  

Continue Reading

News

Officials urge booster injections to tackle lingering Delta variant amid Omicron craze

The WHO classified Omicron as a “variant of concern,” however, the South African doctor who discovered Omicron in her patient says she is “stunned” by the response.

mm

Published

on

The National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI) is now strongly urging COVID-19 booster injections for those over the age of 50.

In addition, the committee is now recommending boosters of an authorized mRNA vaccine to those 18-49 years of age at least six months after completion of a “primary COVID-19 vaccine series with consideration of jurisdictional and individual risks.”

The announcement comes amid global discussion of the Omicron variant. The federal government requested on Tuesday that NACI swiftly review its booster guidance in response to Omicron.

The NACI’s new booster recommendation, however, focuses on the lingering Delta variant while more details are gathered on Omicron.

On Nov. 26, 2021, the World Health Organization (WHO) classified Omicron as a “variant of concern,” although the South African doctor who discovered Omicron in her patient says she is “stunned” by the response.

“As chair of the South African Medical Association and a GP of 33 years standing, I have seen a lot over my medical career,” writes Dr. Angelique Coetzee, in an op-ed for the Daily Mail.

“But nothing has prepared me for the extraordinary global reaction that met my announcement this week that I had seen a young man in my surgery who had a case of COVID that turned out to be the Omicron variant.”

The young man was unaware he had contracted the virus.

Coetzee says she has seen nothing about the variant that warrants panic.

“No one here in South Africa is known to have been hospitalized with the Omicron variant, nor is anyone here believed to have fallen seriously ill with it,” writes Coetzee.

She also says the variant has been circulating South Africa for “some time.”

Viruses — such as COVID-19 — have their own DNA or RNA, therefore allowing them to mutate into new forms.

“This virus is going exactly how you’d expect,” Dr. Steven Pelech, chair of the Scientific and Medical Advisory Committee at the Canadian Covid Care Alliance, told the Western Standard.

“Strains are going to predominate which are more infectious and mild. That’s how it displaces other variants, it doesn’t kill the host. The host often doesn’t even know they are infected.”

Pelech — who is far from alone in his analysis — suggests the “variants of concern,” including Delta, are merely steps towards COVID-19 evolving into a common coronavirus. One that is highly infectious and exceedingly mild.

The Canadian government implemented additional travel restrictions in response to Omicron on November 30 — built upon previous measures.

“We know that these concerning mutations can arise and, where vaccinations are low in parts of the world, they can spread rapidly,” said BC Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry on Tuesday.

BC officials say the province will have more information on Omicron and its implications — such as vaccine efficacy — in the coming weeks.

“Isn’t this the same playbook we heard a year ago with the Delta variant?” said Pelech.

Reid Small is a BC-based reporter for the Western Standard
rsmall@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/reidsmall

Continue Reading

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Share

Petition: No Media Bailouts

We the undersigned call on the Canadian government to immediately cease all payouts to media companies.

805 signatures

No Media Bailouts

The fourth estate is critical to a functioning democracy in holding the government to account. An objective media can't maintain editorial integrity when it accepts money from a government we expect it to be critical of.

We the undersigned call on the Canadian government to immediately cease all payouts to media companies.

**your signature**



The Western Standard will never accept government bailout money. By becoming a Western Standard member, you are supporting government bailout-free and proudly western media that is on your side. With your support, we can give Westerners a voice that doesn\'t need taxpayers money.

Share this with your friends:

Trending

Copyright © Western Standard New Media Corp.