fbpx
Connect with us

News

Paul Hinman wins WIP leadership

Hinman took 92.7% of the ballots cast in a yes or no vote.

mm

Published

on

The Wildrose Independence Party has a new leader – Paul Hinman.

Hinman took 92.7% of the ballots cast in a yes or no vote.

Hinman was the founding leader of the old provincial Wildrose and was been a longtime MLA.

Hinman was the only candidate running for the leadership but it is not enough to be uncontested — to win one must possess 50 percent of the vote plus one to be confirmed as the new leader. Hinman has been the interim leader of the WIP since July 17 2020 but this win marks his official debut as party leader.

The results were better than Hinman expected, and hopefully situates him and the WIP for what he hopes to be “a massive win for Alberta in 2023.”

“There’s two things that you worry about — one that you’re kind of lukewarm, 60 or 70%, and two is that only a few hundred people show up to vote. I was extremely pleased with the 1,651 votes and 93% support. It’s invigorating, and really allows a person to go out there and represent those people that voted for you,” he said Wednesday.

Hinman has big goals for the WIP moving forward – to incorporate constituency associations into a more prominent role by connecting with more people and wants to show Albertans they can and should demand better from their federal leadership.

After a troubling COVID-19 filled season, Hinman is looking forward to interacting with people face to face again.

“It just goes to show how much Albertans want to change and realize that the status quo is to our demise,” he said.

Three of Hinman’s biggest goals for himself and the party are the protection of individual rights, the restriction and shrinking of government, and an increased focus on transparency and accountability in government. Hinman plans to run his party by being “transparent, with the books open and competitive bidding for government things.”

“It’s about good government, accountability, protecting the individual, and restraining the size and growth of government — which is what we’ve been focused on for the last year,” he said.

Sovereignty has also been a major sticking point for Hinman and the WIP. He said he’s looking forward to a potential sovereignist movement encompassing not only Alberta but most of Western Canada.

“In order to become a sovereign nation, it has to be done province by province. I certainly see Saskatchewan and BC wanting to join us, possibly Manitoba. I would hope that we can bring on the Yukon, the Northwest territories,” he said.

“I see a sovereign and free Western Canada down the future, but Alberta will have to lead and be the first one to take those steps before it’ll give confidence to other groups.”

Hinman says that although equalization is typically at the forefront of most Alberta-centric discussions, he believes it is a red herring for some of the more pressing issues facing Alberta — namely getting products such as oil to the national and global markets in an efficient way. The main focus of the WIP according to Hinman is not so much equalization as sovereignty.

“Equalization is kind of a red herring in the group in that it’s a small part of the problem, but it isn’t the problem. The NDP and the UCP act and talk like equalization is the problem… Environmental oppression that we have here in Alberta here from Ottawa is the problem,” he said.

“The fact they won’t allow us to have our constitutional rights to get our products to tidewater is the problem… The equalization is just such a small part of the overall problem, it just isn’t where we’re focused on. We’re focused on becoming a sovereign nation, that’s the only hope we have in the future.

“Just the size of the debt that Canada has taken on and pretty much doubled in the last year and going to carry on this year is unsurmountable for Albertans.”

According to Hinman, Alberta needs to focus internally rather than engaging with Ottawa as most of what our current government is moving towards is “not in Alberta’s best interests.”

“The federal government as a whole. They vote to oppress us to basically shut down our business our lifestyle. The antagonism towards Alberta is incredible to me. Those that aren’t antagonistic towards us are ambivalent to what’s going on,” he said.

“This is characteristic in broken and dysfunctional relationships — other people stand by and they don’t see it. It’s the same with bullying. You can say it’s wrong, but then when you put names to it or you’re there you look the other way quickly.”

Hinman pointed out the consistent hypocrisy of the eastern attacks against the Alberta oil industry.

“We have a bunch of hypocrites out east that think that it’s fine to dump sewage and fly all over the world in their private jets, they’re happy to buy oil from Saudi Arabia, Venezuela, Nigeria, but somehow they see us as the demons of the world when in fact they’re using it always,” he said.

“These so-called ‘environmentalists’ — these hypocrites — they use it, but they tell us that we can’t have it. They want to shut down Alberta, and the reason I believe it is is the animosity and the jealousy. They think nothing of buying oil from Saudi Arabia but won’t buy ours.”

Specifically speaking about Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Hinman said he believes Trudeau is looking to put in place a public policy to benefit him personally.

“Our prime minister has said that he wants to take advantage of the COVID, to shoot towards the global reset. He wants to be able to — I believe — declare bankruptcy, and to come under the thumb of the International Monetary Fund the World Economic Forum. All of those things are his agenda and that’s not in Alberta’s best interests. Our only hope is to get out,” he said.

“We can’t be contributing to Ottawa, and Ottawa thinking that we are the ones that are going to pay off that debt. Canada is the titanic, it’s hit the iceberg, and our captain is declaring that the ship is unsinkable.”

Hinman’s main goal for himself and his party — especially if given the chance to form the Alberta he wants — “would be a sovereign, free [Albertan] nation.”

Hinman specified he prefers to use the term “sovereign” as opposed to “independent” because independence isn’t enough anymore.

“The big goal is to exercise our full autonomy, to have our own tax Alberta revenue agency, to have our own police force, our own pension plan, our own employment insurance plan, our own immigration policies,” he said.

“Most important, to be governed by our own environmental act and then to exercise that full autonomy from Ottawa and then allow Albertans to vote for sovereignty. That we can be prosperous and free and have something to hand down to our children and grandchildren.”

Jackie Conroy is a Reporter for the Western Standard
jconroy@westernstandardonline.com

Continue Reading
5 Comments

5 Comments

  1. Dmitry Orion Ford

    July 15, 2021 at 9:33 am

    The emphasis MUST be on INDEPENDENCE. The Reform party emphasized Unity, and it FAIED! This is Alberta’s ONLY path Forward!

  2. Baron Not Baron

    July 14, 2021 at 9:22 pm

    Excellent news !!!

    WILDROSE INDEPENDENCE PARTY OF ALBERTA !!

  3. Steven

    July 14, 2021 at 8:09 pm

    Paul Hinman will make a far better Alberta Premier then Jason Kenney, far better.

    Congratulations !!

  4. Kyle MacPherson

    July 14, 2021 at 6:59 pm

    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.”
    “You and I have the courage to say to our enemies, “There is a price we will not pay.” “There is a point beyond which they must not advance.”
    “We’ll preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we’ll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness.”
    -Ronald REAGAN

  5. Andrew

    July 14, 2021 at 1:51 pm

    Welcome back to the team Paul!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

SLOBODIAN: Decade long investigation into Manitoba residential school involves nearly 100 officers and 700 interviews

The First Nation recently undertook a search of the site using ground-penetrating radar technology but has not released the results.

mm

Published

on

A “large and complex” decade-long investigation by RCMP has been underway into allegations of sexual abuse at a former residential school in Manitoba’s Sagkeeng First Nation.


The Fort Alexander Residential School opened in 1905 on Sagkeeng First Nation, located 120-km north of Winnipeg. In 1970 it was converted to a day school that operated for several years.


Manitoba RCMP issued a press release Tuesday confirming the major crimes unit began looking into allegations of abuse in February 2010, then launched a formal criminal investigation the following year.


RCMP began by gathering information, including reviewing archival records in both Ottawa and Manitoba. They went through thousands of documents such as student and employee lists and quarterly returns.


This involved more than 80 officers who interacted with more than 700 people across North America in an effort to find possible victims and witnesses.


“After compiling and collating all this data, investigators developed an investigative plan that began with the canvassing of people whose names had been identified in the documents as well as a door-to-door canvas in the Powerview/Fort Alexander area, where the school had been located,” said the statement.


The criminal investigation launched in 2011 involved 75 formal witnesses and victim statements.
Recently, Sagkeeng Chief Derrick Henderson said elders and survivors have long spoken about abuse at the school and children that went missing.


The First Nation recently undertook a search of the site using ground-penetrating radar technology but has not released the results.


“Violation of the privacy rights of those involved in this investigation will not only cause further trauma to everyone involved, but also potentially compromise this highly sensitive investigation,” said Henderson. “We ask that the trauma our community has experienced and continues to live every day is respected and that those affected are afforded their privacy at this time.”

RCMP are working closely with First Nations leaders and no other criminal investigations into former residential schools are underway in Manitoba, said RCMP.

Slobodian is the Senior Manitoba Columnist for the Western Standard  lslobodian@westernstandardonline.com

Continue Reading

News

BC increases vaccine efforts amid slowing rates, including ‘vax vans’

“Over the next two weeks, BC will push hard to vaccinate as many eligible people as possible.”

mm

Published

on

BC health officials want more people rolling up their sleeves for the COVID-19 shot, and say they will be increasing efforts in the coming weeks to do just that.

Dr. Bonnie Henry, Health Minister Adrian Dix, and Dr. Penny Ballem addressed BC’s vaccine roll-out plan during a Tuesday morning news conference.

Among their announced efforts are “walk-in Wednesday” which will take place August 4 when 20,000 jabs will be made available with no need to book in advance.

Walk-in Wednesday is part of the “Vax for BC” campaign.

“I’d like to begin by thanking each and every one of the millions of British Columbian’s, like me, who have stepped up to be vaccinated,” said Henry.

“Because of this small act, we have been able to re-open our province.

“While we have made tremendous progress with our immunization plan, there is of course more work to do. We know that some people still struggle to find a convenient time in their day to get immunized, and others may still have questions, and be hesitant about the vaccine.

“So starting today, we are making it even easier for people to get vaccines. To help protect themselves, and their loved ones against COVID-19.”

Henry said the province will be introducing “custom vax vans” so people will be able to get vaccinated on their lunch break or “while cooling off at a lake.”

The province is also reducing the wait time between first and second doses from eight weeks to seven weeks.

There are currently 906,772 eligible people who have not received a dose, roughly 19.6% of the population older than 12, according to data from July 23.

Interior health has an un-vaccinated population of 26.2% while Northern health has 32.5% without a first shot.

On Monday, the Surrey Board of Trade wrote a letter to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Health Minister of Canada Patty Hajdu, BC Premier John Horgan, and Minister of Health Adrian Dix urging them to “implement a proof-of-immunization model.”

“We support a centralized, Canada-wide approach to COVID-19 proof-of immunization that could be easily used to confirm vaccination status for international and domestic use,” said Anita Huberman, CEO, Surrey Board of Trade.

“Without inter-provincial harmonization, Canada risks a piecemeal approach, making life more difficult and unpredictable for individuals and employers during an already uncertain time.”

Last week, YVR airport implemented separate lines for vaccinated and un-vaccinated individuals prior to reaching customs.

The separation of lines – which was put in place as a federal policy – has since been removed following extensive public push-back.

As for enforcing proof-of-immunization policies at concerts, night clubs, and sporting events – an increasing number of British Columbian’s are cozying up to this idea.

Reid Small is a BC correspondent for the Western Standard
rsmall@westernstandardonline.com

Continue Reading

News

Feds silent on $120M loan to company not ‘worthy of taxpayers’ largesse”

Both CMHC and the Department of Social Development declined to respond to questions.

mm

Published

on

Federal agencies yesterday remained mum about a $120 million housing loan to one of Canada’s wealthiest developers, after Cabinet earlier defended the loan as critical, said Blacklock’s Reporter.

“This project will help over 300 local families find rental housing units,” Ahmed Hussen, minister responsible for housing, told reporters. “That’s why the government is taking action to increase the supply of rental housing through projects like the one we’re announcing.”

Cabinet on July 19 announced the $120 million loan to build 302 apartments in Brampton, Ont. The developer is Choice Properties Real Estate Investment Trust. The company’s CEO was paid $3 million in salary and benefits last year, according to corporate filings.

“This project will help over 300 local families find rental housing units,” Hussen’s department said in a statement. “A solid and reliable supply of rental housing is critical to ensuring more Canadians have access to housing that is affordable.”

Choice Properties is owned by George Weston Ltd. The developer’s 2020 net income totaled $451 million. The loan was approved through a federal program, the Rental Construction Financing Initiative, that extends 10-year, easy-term credit “for certainty during the most risky periods of development,” according to Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation.

Both CMHC and the Department of Social Development declined to respond to questions. The news website Press Progress cited data from Canada Mortgage and Housing that of 302 apartments in the Brampton project, as few as 61 would rent at below-market rates. The building is scheduled for completion by 2023.

“We know that finding an affordable place to live is a challenge for many Canadians in communities across the country,” Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said at the time. “Today’s announcement is great news for families in Brampton. The Government of Canada will continue to invest to increase affordable housing options.”

George Weston Ltd. reported net earnings of $1.6 billion last year. It also operates the Loblaw Companies Ltd. supermarket chain that in 2019 received a $12 million federal grant to install new freezers. “Canadians might wonder why the Liberals handed over $12 million to Loblaw’s, one of Canada’s richest companies,” Conservative MP Mark Strahl (Chilliwack-Hope, B.C.) earlier told the Commons.

The freezer grant was paid under a Low Carbon Economy Fund. A now-disbanded ecoEnergy program similarly paid grants to large corporations in the name of energy efficiency.

Sobeys Inc. received $1.48 million in ecoEnergy grants in the period from 2006 to 2013. Loblaw Companies received $801,000. A total $207,968 was paid to McDonald’s Restaurants and $153,960 to Sears Canada.

“These companies are flush,” Liberal MP John McKay (Scarborough-Guildwood, Ont.) said in an interview at the time. “Companies, given their financial statements, don’t seem to be worthy recipients of taxpayers’ largesse.”

Mike D’Amour is the British Columbia Bureau Chief for the Western Standard.
mdamour@westernstandardonline.com

Continue Reading

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Share

Petition: No Media Bailouts

We the undersigned call on the Canadian government to immediately cease all payouts to media companies.

163 signatures

No Media Bailouts

The fourth estate is critical to a functioning democracy in holding the government to account. An objective media can't maintain editorial integrity when it accepts money from a government we expect it to be critical of.

We the undersigned call on the Canadian government to immediately cease all payouts to media companies.

**your signature**



The Western Standard will never accept government bailout money. By becoming a Western Standard member, you are supporting government bailout-free and proudly western media that is on your side. With your support, we can give Westerners a voice that doesn\'t need taxpayers money.

Share this with your friends:

Trending

Copyright © Western Standard New Media Corp.