fbpx
Connect with us

News

Optimistic Kenney looks to the future

It’s been a year beset with problems for Kenney – from the UCP Snowbird Scandal, bitter caucus infighting and hated COVID-19 regulations, just to name a few.

mm

Published

on

“What? Me worry?”

That’s the Alfred E. Neuman-like attitude of Alberta Premier Jason Kenney these days about his dreadful standing in provincial polls and the attacks from party insiders, like former UCP MLAs Drew Barnes and Todd Lowen.

“I think it’s going to take some time to heal wounds and some time for people who were upset with us for one reason or another about COVID stuff. It’s going to take time for those wounds to heal,” Kenney told Postmedia’s Rick Bell.

“So I’m not expecting some big bounce in the polls tomorrow but, as we get back to normal and more importantly as this economy starts to take off, I am a huge optimist.

“I don’t think it’s going to happen next week but if you and I sit down here a year from now at Phil’s, I think you’re going to see we regained support and we’re in a good place politically.”

Numerous polls this year have shown Kenney and the UCP getting under 30% support, with the NDP, under Rachel Notley, poised to come back to power.

It’s been a year beset with problems for Kenney – from the UCP Snowbird Scandal, bitter caucus infighting and hated COVID-19 regulations, just to name a few.

It came to a head when the UCP decided to boot out Loewen and Barnes in May out of caucus. Loewen that day had published a letter demanding Kenney resign and Barnes had been a constant pain in Kenney’s side.

But now, Kenney said things are starting to turn around and voters are coming to realize the COVID-19 regulations were a necessary evil.

“They say: Thank you for your leadership through COVID. You guys were between a rock and a hard place. There were no good decisions. You did a good job. Don’t let the naysayers get you down,” Kenney told Bell.

“I actually think that’s where most people’s heads are at.”

“Now we get to focus on jobs, the economy, pipelines and a Fair Deal, relentlessly focus on the issues my party exists for, that I led the unity movement for, that we ran for, that unites conservatives and unites Albertans.”

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard and the Vice-President: News Division of Western Standard New Media Corp. He has served as the City Editor of the Calgary Sun and has covered Alberta news for nearly 40 years. dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com

Continue Reading
13 Comments

13 Comments

  1. Andrew

    July 24, 2021 at 10:24 am

    Wildrose Country, Wildrose Nation!

  2. Left Coast

    July 24, 2021 at 9:50 am

    Kenny is a fool . . . he has demonstrated in the last 18 months that he is NO Leader.

    He is a fraud Conservative . . .

    SENATE TESTIMONY: Child Suicide & Lethal Lockdown Consequences

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s82ugduPGlM

    Daily COVID Deaths In Sweden Hit ZERO, As Other Nations Brace For More Lockdowns

    I wrote months ago that our feckless Premiers should be checking out Sweden and using their MO . . . but they are too stupid to learn!

  3. Susan Grant

    July 23, 2021 at 8:14 am

    NEVER will I trust any FEDERAL LIAR AGAIN. #WILDROSE #ALBERTAFREEDOM #UCP is #OneAndDone. Kenney and his inner cirlce betrayed Albertans! #LockHinshawUp #LockShandroUp #LockKenneyUp

  4. Mars Hill

    July 22, 2021 at 11:29 pm

    Mr. Kenney crossed a red line and put his light weight incompetence on display, he’s compromised, I suspect the UPC will give him a party and say goodbye.

  5. Steven

    July 22, 2021 at 7:19 pm

    Premier Kenney I wouldn’t vote UCP again if you held a gun to my head – & you did – by advocating your responsibilities to an unelected AHS Doctor Hinshaw. A necessary evil? Your the evil one Jason.

    Go Wildrose.

  6. berta baby

    July 22, 2021 at 4:29 pm

    LOL I think a kenney minority government would be okay or a Notley Minority… none of these A holes deserve full power. A necessary evil lol death rate of .03 percent still no kids dying still no healthy people under 65 who rant fat as shit dying … yet Delta Delta mask mask mask… 100% we get locked down in the fall look at Prison island once called Australia … 900k people told to not leave their homes dont talk to your neighbours and the media Communist bastards just keep on pouring on the fear , Kenney better find his nuts before fall and pray Hinshaw doesn’t force him to get to covid zero like the rest of the crazy communists

  7. Mac Cumming

    July 22, 2021 at 2:26 pm

    About 4 times as many died due to Kenney’s lockouts than were due to Covid according to stats Canada. He should resign and go back to Ottawa.

  8. Deb

    July 22, 2021 at 1:22 pm

    Fully agree with Cosmo Kramer, Kenny proved he is complying to the Federal Government, the Davo’s crowd UN Agenda’s and The World Economic’s One World Order, renamed The Great Reset. This is not over by a long shot. I invite you to check it out for yourselves.

  9. Cosmo Kramer

    July 22, 2021 at 11:33 am

    He says the COVID-19 regulations were a necessary evil.

    No honest reflection on the falsehoods they were based on, nor that they could have been averted by focusing on the vulnerable populations. No apologies for the human rights abusers and jailed pastors and business owners.

    As of exactly one year ago (middle of their winter), Australia is now implementing more strict lockdowns as many injected people fall ill as a result of injections. Of course this is being blamed on new variants.

    I hope I am wrong and Kenney follows the paths of South Dakota and Florida but my feeling is he may take orders from the Davos crowd again and implement worse lockdowns as the flu season approaches this autumn.

    This is not over.

  10. Dennis

    July 22, 2021 at 10:54 am

    It’s time for change, time for a NEW approach to government in Alberta. Wildrose.party

  11. Andrew

    July 22, 2021 at 10:52 am

    Albertans are gonna send your ass packing all the way back to Oakville Ontario. Take Rachel Notley with you.

  12. Bill Mccann

    July 22, 2021 at 10:40 am

    If no further lockdowns take place I feel pretty good about Kenney’s chances. One thing for sure NO MORE NDP.

  13. Declan Carroll

    July 22, 2021 at 10:38 am

    Kenney is a lair. He sold us out to Big Pharma and the Party of Davos. As soon as the WEF cooks up the next scheme he will be right on board with the rest of the sellouts. He has zero loyalty to the people of Alberta. This is out to lunch. He trampled our rights and trashed our economy and he thinks people are just going to forgive and forget. I don’t think so. UCP needs new leadership that actually represents their constituency and not the Party Of Davos!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

SLOBODIAN: Decade long investigation into Manitoba residential school involves nearly 100 officers and 700 interviews

The First Nation recently undertook a search of the site using ground-penetrating radar technology but has not released the results.

mm

Published

on

A “large and complex” decade-long investigation by RCMP has been underway into allegations of sexual abuse at a former residential school in Manitoba’s Sagkeeng First Nation.


The Fort Alexander Residential School opened in 1905 on Sagkeeng First Nation, located 120-km north of Winnipeg. In 1970 it was converted to a day school that operated for several years.


Manitoba RCMP issued a press release Tuesday confirming the major crimes unit began looking into allegations of abuse in February 2010, then launched a formal criminal investigation the following year.


RCMP began by gathering information, including reviewing archival records in both Ottawa and Manitoba. They went through thousands of documents such as student and employee lists and quarterly returns.


This involved more than 80 officers who interacted with more than 700 people across North America in an effort to find possible victims and witnesses.


“After compiling and collating all this data, investigators developed an investigative plan that began with the canvassing of people whose names had been identified in the documents as well as a door-to-door canvas in the Powerview/Fort Alexander area, where the school had been located,” said the statement.


The criminal investigation launched in 2011 involved 75 formal witnesses and victim statements.
Recently, Sagkeeng Chief Derrick Henderson said elders and survivors have long spoken about abuse at the school and children that went missing.


The First Nation recently undertook a search of the site using ground-penetrating radar technology but has not released the results.


“Violation of the privacy rights of those involved in this investigation will not only cause further trauma to everyone involved, but also potentially compromise this highly sensitive investigation,” said Henderson. “We ask that the trauma our community has experienced and continues to live every day is respected and that those affected are afforded their privacy at this time.”

RCMP are working closely with First Nations leaders and no other criminal investigations into former residential schools are underway in Manitoba, said RCMP.

Slobodian is the Senior Manitoba Columnist for the Western Standard  lslobodian@westernstandardonline.com

Continue Reading

News

BC increases vaccine efforts amid slowing rates, including ‘vax vans’

“Over the next two weeks, BC will push hard to vaccinate as many eligible people as possible.”

mm

Published

on

BC health officials want more people rolling up their sleeves for the COVID-19 shot, and say they will be increasing efforts in the coming weeks to do just that.

Dr. Bonnie Henry, Health Minister Adrian Dix, and Dr. Penny Ballem addressed BC’s vaccine roll-out plan during a Tuesday morning news conference.

Among their announced efforts are “walk-in Wednesday” which will take place August 4 when 20,000 jabs will be made available with no need to book in advance.

Walk-in Wednesday is part of the “Vax for BC” campaign.

“I’d like to begin by thanking each and every one of the millions of British Columbian’s, like me, who have stepped up to be vaccinated,” said Henry.

“Because of this small act, we have been able to re-open our province.

“While we have made tremendous progress with our immunization plan, there is of course more work to do. We know that some people still struggle to find a convenient time in their day to get immunized, and others may still have questions, and be hesitant about the vaccine.

“So starting today, we are making it even easier for people to get vaccines. To help protect themselves, and their loved ones against COVID-19.”

Henry said the province will be introducing “custom vax vans” so people will be able to get vaccinated on their lunch break or “while cooling off at a lake.”

The province is also reducing the wait time between first and second doses from eight weeks to seven weeks.

There are currently 906,772 eligible people who have not received a dose, roughly 19.6% of the population older than 12, according to data from July 23.

Interior health has an un-vaccinated population of 26.2% while Northern health has 32.5% without a first shot.

On Monday, the Surrey Board of Trade wrote a letter to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Health Minister of Canada Patty Hajdu, BC Premier John Horgan, and Minister of Health Adrian Dix urging them to “implement a proof-of-immunization model.”

“We support a centralized, Canada-wide approach to COVID-19 proof-of immunization that could be easily used to confirm vaccination status for international and domestic use,” said Anita Huberman, CEO, Surrey Board of Trade.

“Without inter-provincial harmonization, Canada risks a piecemeal approach, making life more difficult and unpredictable for individuals and employers during an already uncertain time.”

Last week, YVR airport implemented separate lines for vaccinated and un-vaccinated individuals prior to reaching customs.

The separation of lines – which was put in place as a federal policy – has since been removed following extensive public push-back.

As for enforcing proof-of-immunization policies at concerts, night clubs, and sporting events – an increasing number of British Columbian’s are cozying up to this idea.

Reid Small is a BC correspondent for the Western Standard
rsmall@westernstandardonline.com

Continue Reading

News

Feds silent on $120M loan to company not ‘worthy of taxpayers’ largesse”

Both CMHC and the Department of Social Development declined to respond to questions.

mm

Published

on

Federal agencies yesterday remained mum about a $120 million housing loan to one of Canada’s wealthiest developers, after Cabinet earlier defended the loan as critical, said Blacklock’s Reporter.

“This project will help over 300 local families find rental housing units,” Ahmed Hussen, minister responsible for housing, told reporters. “That’s why the government is taking action to increase the supply of rental housing through projects like the one we’re announcing.”

Cabinet on July 19 announced the $120 million loan to build 302 apartments in Brampton, Ont. The developer is Choice Properties Real Estate Investment Trust. The company’s CEO was paid $3 million in salary and benefits last year, according to corporate filings.

“This project will help over 300 local families find rental housing units,” Hussen’s department said in a statement. “A solid and reliable supply of rental housing is critical to ensuring more Canadians have access to housing that is affordable.”

Choice Properties is owned by George Weston Ltd. The developer’s 2020 net income totaled $451 million. The loan was approved through a federal program, the Rental Construction Financing Initiative, that extends 10-year, easy-term credit “for certainty during the most risky periods of development,” according to Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation.

Both CMHC and the Department of Social Development declined to respond to questions. The news website Press Progress cited data from Canada Mortgage and Housing that of 302 apartments in the Brampton project, as few as 61 would rent at below-market rates. The building is scheduled for completion by 2023.

“We know that finding an affordable place to live is a challenge for many Canadians in communities across the country,” Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said at the time. “Today’s announcement is great news for families in Brampton. The Government of Canada will continue to invest to increase affordable housing options.”

George Weston Ltd. reported net earnings of $1.6 billion last year. It also operates the Loblaw Companies Ltd. supermarket chain that in 2019 received a $12 million federal grant to install new freezers. “Canadians might wonder why the Liberals handed over $12 million to Loblaw’s, one of Canada’s richest companies,” Conservative MP Mark Strahl (Chilliwack-Hope, B.C.) earlier told the Commons.

The freezer grant was paid under a Low Carbon Economy Fund. A now-disbanded ecoEnergy program similarly paid grants to large corporations in the name of energy efficiency.

Sobeys Inc. received $1.48 million in ecoEnergy grants in the period from 2006 to 2013. Loblaw Companies received $801,000. A total $207,968 was paid to McDonald’s Restaurants and $153,960 to Sears Canada.

“These companies are flush,” Liberal MP John McKay (Scarborough-Guildwood, Ont.) said in an interview at the time. “Companies, given their financial statements, don’t seem to be worthy recipients of taxpayers’ largesse.”

Mike D’Amour is the British Columbia Bureau Chief for the Western Standard.
mdamour@westernstandardonline.com

Continue Reading

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Share

Petition: No Media Bailouts

We the undersigned call on the Canadian government to immediately cease all payouts to media companies.

163 signatures

No Media Bailouts

The fourth estate is critical to a functioning democracy in holding the government to account. An objective media can't maintain editorial integrity when it accepts money from a government we expect it to be critical of.

We the undersigned call on the Canadian government to immediately cease all payouts to media companies.

**your signature**



The Western Standard will never accept government bailout money. By becoming a Western Standard member, you are supporting government bailout-free and proudly western media that is on your side. With your support, we can give Westerners a voice that doesn\'t need taxpayers money.

Share this with your friends:

Trending

Copyright © Western Standard New Media Corp.