fbpx
Connect with us

News

Jivraj says he will sue WS for publishing his comments

The Western Standard produced a seven-part series in April about Karim Jivraj who, in court testimony, admitted he conducted an operation to undermine a potential star UCP candidate Caylan Ford in Calgary.

mm

Published

on

A political operative who was the subject of a Western Standard investigation says he’s going to sue for defamation over the reports.

The Western Standard produced a seven-part series in April about Karim Jivraj who, in court testimony, admitted under oath that he conducted an operation to undermine star Alberta UCP candidate Caylan Ford in Calgary.

The stories revealed Jivraj had worked with the NDP-linked website Press Progress to derail Ford’s candidacy.

Jivraj’s “notice of intention to bring action” appears to have been written hours before being served, as did not come from a lawyer. Jivraj attended law school, but has been unable to be called to the bar. Jivraj is currently being sued for defamation by Caylan Ford.

The notice itself does not cite any defamatory statements, but attaches only stories published by the Western Standard. Those stories almost entirely quote Jivraj’s own testimony.

Western Standard Publisher Derek Fildebrandt said the Western Standard will not make any settlement whatsoever with Jivraj.

“This is a joke of a SLAP suite. He didn’t even bother to have a lawyer put it on letterhead for him,” said Fildebrandt.

“He doesn’t cite a single case of a defamatory statement, because all our news team did was quote his own words. Jivraj might not have been called to the bar to practice his law degree, but he should know enough that it isn’t defamatory to repeat his own words spoken under oath.

“We are underwhelmed by concern over his scrap of paper.”

Ford was recruited by Jason Kenney to run for the Alberta UCP in the 2019 election. Ford seemed to be on the path to stardom when she was shot down in flames by rumours, innuendo and planted news stories 

The feud came to a head January 9 last year, when Jivraj filed an assault complaint with the Calgary Police Service where he alleged Ford had “aggressively placed her hand on his back.”

In later court testimony, Jivraj admitted the incident only involved a tap on the back to get his attention as he sat in her neighbourhood coffee shop.

“It all demonstrates how easily a single bad actor can leverage the rhetorical toolkit of cancel culture to pursue a personal vendetta, destroying someone’s reputation and career with total impunity and anonymity, and with no semblance of due process for the accused,” said Ford to the Western Standard.

I’ve been reputationally (sic) and professionally ruined. I am still unemployable two years later.”

“It’s also a case study in the hypocrisy of left/liberal institutions like the NDP, Press ProgressCBC, and the Toronto Star. All of these groups purport to care about reducing gender-based harassment, and encouraging women to run for public office.” 

Toronto police have also confirmed to the Western Standard that Jirvaj was arrested on March 9 and charged with assault.

“It is alleged that two men had a verbal altercation which turned physical,” said a Toronto police spokesman.

The Western Standard relied heavily on court transcripts, using Jivraj’s own word.

Jivraj has yet to file an actual lawsuit.

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard and the Vice-President: News Division of Western Standard New Media Corp. He has served as the City Editor of the Calgary Sun and has covered Alberta news for nearly 40 years. dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com

Continue Reading
9 Comments

9 Comments

  1. Claudette Leece

    July 12, 2021 at 12:12 pm

    If he’s been unable to be called to the bar, he’s not much a l aw yer anyways. Go ahead you slimeball, hope the judge makes you pay WS court costs after you lose

  2. Susan Grant

    July 8, 2021 at 8:48 am

    Sadly she suffered a great deal, BUT positively she won’t go down with the UCP SHIP #LockKenneyUp #LockShandorUP #LockHinshawUP

  3. Pamela Bridger

    July 8, 2021 at 8:09 am

    He comes across as someone who had his romantic gestures rebuffed and he retaliated. How sad that she cannot find work because he has sullied her reputation such. It does show the level of depravity that drives political careers these days and I hope future generations find the fortitude to get rid of these parasites for more open and transparent government.

  4. Steven

    July 7, 2021 at 10:08 pm

    “We are underwhelmed by concern over his scrap of paper.”

    Exactly WS exactly.

  5. Baron Not Baron

    July 7, 2021 at 8:38 pm

    Who cares about this dude? WS, good job!

  6. John Lankers

    July 7, 2021 at 7:39 pm

    To me, this looks like his BFF Rachel and PP are throwing him under the proverbial bus, or else he would have some sort of legal representation 😄

  7. sbrasok@gmail.com

    July 7, 2021 at 7:26 pm

    Awesome work guys. You haven’t done anything wrong. The problem is people thinking they’re above the law and trying to drag people down with them. Stay the course 👍🏼

  8. cjmackayphd@gmail.com

    July 7, 2021 at 7:08 pm

    This is hilarious. Time to get some popcorn!

  9. Andrew

    July 7, 2021 at 3:26 pm

    yeahh I’m on WS’s side on this one.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

News

EXCLUSIVE: Country star running for UCP president to force Kenney leadership vote

Sources tell the Western Standard that George Canyon will run for the presidency of the party in order to trigger an earlier leadership review.

mm

Published

on

Alberta country star George Canyon is set to announce he’s running for the presidency of the United Conservative Party, multiple sources tell the Western Standard.

But Canyon is not seeking a typical mandate for a party president, however, but will be running on a platform of holding an early leadership review of Alberta Premier Jason Kenney.

Several sources in the party told the Western Standard Canyon will make the announcement this week.

The UCP will hold its annual general meeting November 19-21 at the Grey Eagle Resort, where members present will elect a new board of directors for the party.

Candidates running on an explicit mandate of triggering a leadership review is rare in Canadian politics.

Canyon placed second in the 2019 federal election under the Conservative banner in his native Nova Scotia, but lives in Alberta.

The country music star regularly sings the national anthem at Calgary Flames games at the Saddledome.

Canyon’s entry into the political fray comes as Kenney’s leadership has been under siege since he imposed a fourth round of COVID-19 restrictions and lockdowns last week, including a vaccine passport, something he vowed never to do.

A UCP Caucus meeting is set for Wednesday and Kenney’s leadership is expected to be the main point of discussion.

Dozens of grassroots UCP constituency associations have joined forces to call for an early leadership review of Kenney. The party currently has one scheduled in late 2022, only six months before the next provincial election.

UCP VP of policy Joel Mullan wrote an open letter in the Western Standard Tuesday that called for Kenney to go immediately.

“My responsibility is to look at the reality —not wish it away — and take the necessary steps to protect the health care system,” Kenney said.

“Let’s deal with those things at the right time, after this crisis.”

He said any move to hold a leadership race now would be “grossly irresponsible.”

Kenney was asked if the internal turmoil in the UCP was what led to the resignation of Health Minister Tyler Shandro.

“I am focused on getting through the fourth wave of COVID, not politics,” Kenney said.

“We have to protect the health care system to prevent needless deaths — we will not allow politics to distract us.”

Kenney may not go so easily however.

One UCP MLA says Alberta Premier Jason Kenney would rather “blow up” the government than admit he was wrong about COVID-19 and resign.

The MLA, who spoke to the Western Standard on the condition of anonymity, made the comment prior to thee Tuesday afternoon Kenney cabinet shuffle.

“This is a desperate bid by Kenney to save his leadership,” the MLA said of Shandro’s removal.

“Most of us agree Shandro is incompetent and must go, but he was acting under orders directly from Kenney.

“It looks pathetic and is only designed to stave off a vote of no-confidence from the caucus tomorrow,” the MLA said.

“Rather than go gracefully, [Kenney] would rather blow the whole thing up than step down gracefully.”

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Continue Reading

News

Kenney says leadership review now would be ‘grossly irresponsible’

When asked at a Tuesday press conference by the Toronto Star about the Mullan letter, Kenney responded there has been opposition to his health care policy “since Day 1.”

mm

Published

on

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney last night rejected any calls for an immediate leadership review of him as “grossly irresponsible.”

Kenney has been under withering attacks for his handling of the COVID-19 crisis in Alberta, which led to the “resignation” Tuesday of Health Minister Tyler Shandro.

A UCP caucus meeting is set for Wednesday and Kenney’s leadership is expected to be the main point of discussion.

Dozens of grassroots UCP constituency associations have joined forces to call for an early leadership review of Kenney. The party currently has one scheduled in late 2022, only six months before the next provincial election.

UCP VP of policy Joel Mullan wrote an open letter in the Western Standard Tuesday called for Kenney to go immediately.

When asked at a Tuesday press conference by the Toronto Star about the Mullan letter, Kenney responded there has been opposition to his health care policy “since Day 1.”

“My responsibility is to look at the reality — not wish it away — and take the necessary steps to protect the health care system,” Kenney said.

“Let’s deal with those things at the right time, after this crisis.”

Kenney was asked if the internal turmoil within the UCP was what led to the resignation of Shandro.

“I am focused on getting through the fourth wave of COVID, not politics,” Kenney said.

“We have to protect the health care system to prevent needless deaths — we will not allow politics to distract us.”

Kenney said he knew when he brought in the fourth wave of COVID-19 lockdowns last week and flip-flopped on his promise not to bring in vaccine passports there would be internal grumblings.

He said the COVID-19 cabinet committee has had 12 hours of “respectful” meeting time with the full UCP caucus.

Kenney pointed out the People’s Party of Canada, which ran on an anti-vaccination platform, took 8% of the vote in Alberta in the federal election.

“Let me be blunt, those people likely voted for me in the last provincial election,” Kenney said.

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Continue Reading

News

Kenney said shuffle was ‘time for a fresh start’

Dr. Deena Hinshaw said 29 Albertans died in the last 24 hours from COVID-19, including people who had been doubled-vaxxed, but included many people who hadn’t received any vaccinations at all.

mm

Published

on

Tyler Shandro wasn’t fired as health minister, he resigned, says Premier Jason Kenney.

Answering questions after Tuesday’s cabinet shuffle, Kenney said he accepted the resignation from Shandro from the health portfolio.

“Tyler’s dedication to the job has never been questioned. He brought his heart to the job,” Kenney said.

“It’s time for a fresh start.”

Kenney denied the shuffle was done to appease critics in the UCP caucus clamouring for action.

“We are focused on getting through the fourth wave of COVID-19, not politics,” said Kenney.

Kenney promoted Labour Minister Jason Copping to health and put Shandro in his old portfolio in labour.

Kenney said bringing in vaccine passports has had a dramatic effect on the number of people getting vaccinated.

A total of 23,000 people were vaccinated on Monday with 78,000 jabs being given out in the last few days.

A total of 81.4% of people have received at least one vaccine with 72.8% having two jabs.

Since they were made available on Sunday, more than two million Albertans printed out their vaccination passports, Kenney said.

He said Alberta Health Services has expanded the number of ICU beds in the province to 337.

Copping said he was honoured to be named health minister in this “pivotal time.”

He said he has three goals: to increase hospital capacities permanently, educate the unvaccinated on why they should get jabs and to prepare the hospital system for any future waves of COVID.

Dr. Deena Hinshaw said 29 Albertans had died in the last 24 hours from COVID-19, including people who had been doubled-vaxxed, but included many people who hadn’t received any vaccinations at all.

She said the province had identified 1,500 new cases in the last day from 13,600 tests for an 11.1% positivity rate.

There are 996 people in hospital as of September 21 with COVID, and 222 in ICU.

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Continue Reading

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Share

Petition: No Media Bailouts

We the undersigned call on the Canadian government to immediately cease all payouts to media companies.

355 signatures

No Media Bailouts

The fourth estate is critical to a functioning democracy in holding the government to account. An objective media can't maintain editorial integrity when it accepts money from a government we expect it to be critical of.

We the undersigned call on the Canadian government to immediately cease all payouts to media companies.

**your signature**



The Western Standard will never accept government bailout money. By becoming a Western Standard member, you are supporting government bailout-free and proudly western media that is on your side. With your support, we can give Westerners a voice that doesn\'t need taxpayers money.

Share this with your friends:

Trending

Copyright © Western Standard New Media Corp.