fbpx
Connect with us

News

Firearms rights CEO shoots down gun buyback program

A recent report by the Parliamentary Budget Officer suggested the federal government would have to pay gun owners up to $756 million in the gun grab buyback program, but no estimate was made of administrative costs.

mm

Published

on

The head of the Canadian Coalition of Firearms Rights is blasting the federal government’s gun buyback plan after an independent report revealed higher than expected costs.

A recent report by the Parliamentary Budget Officer suggested the federal government would have to pay gun owners up to $756 million in the gun grab buyback program, but no estimate was made of administrative costs.

This sounds too much like the 1990s gun registry to Rod Giltaca, CEO of the CCFR.

“I’m not surprised. I’m reminded of the long-gun registry where it was supposed to cost $2 million and ended up costing $2 billion,” Giltaca said in an interview with Western Standard.

“The one variable is the government has no idea how many of these firearms there are. They also have no idea what the participation rate is going to be. So they could end up with a massive bill for buying back these firearms. Or they might be sitting there wondering why they built so much infrastructure to collect them.”

Cost aside, Giltaca believes the idea is a bad one for many reasons.

“For me, the problem has always been the government has decided that they will not justify why they’re doing this in the first place,” Giltaca said.

“In these days of unprecedented social division, I’m not sure why the government would choose to make hundreds of thousands of Canadians furiously angry.”

It’s easy to understand why gun owners are upset, Giltaca said.

“People jump through the hoops, they pay the fees, they paid the taxes on the purchases of these things, they pay the taxes on the purchases of ammunition, and they pay the taxes on the purchases of gun club membership. And then the government says, ‘Well, thank you very much. You know what, we’re just going to take that property anyway. We’ve changed the rules yet again,’” he said.

The Canadian Taxpayers Federation estimates $756 million could pay 1,200 new police officers for five years. Giltaca says the federal government doesn’t seem interested.

“Number one, they have shown no intention of addressing root causes of violence. They’re not worried. It seems that they act like they’re not worried about the ongoing and escalating violence in cities and in rural communities. If they were, their actions would look a lot different,” he said.

“But not only does more violence help them, help people give them more power, give them more authority, give them more budget, give them more latitude in the things that they do to curtail freedom, but they also don’t like anyone having guns but them.”

Budget 2018 promised $327.6 million over five years, and $100 million ongoing for the scheme.

Giltaca provided the Western Standard with documents from Public Safety Canada sent April 14 that showed that the department was only allocated $214 million and about $96.3 million had been spent.

“I have a friend — Marcel Wilson has a group called a One-by-One Movement — and he’s done a tremendous amount of work to formulate and create programs in inner-city Toronto to keep kids out of gangs and to deal with hate groups and all this stuff. He hasn’t gotten a single dime from the federal government for these programs yet,” he said.

“They haven’t given out any money, but they’ve got a billion dollars for a gun buyback gun grab. It’s insane. Their actions are not consistent with what they’re saying. And that should be a problem for everybody.”

Giltaca and CCFR VP Tracy Wilson met Public Safety Minister Bill Blair in person two years ago and asked what evidence showed gun owners were more likely to commit criminal acts. None was provided.

“You’d be insane to trust these people. They lie to you every single day about everything. You know, I don’t know how anybody is weak enough to trust these people. They’re just monsters. It’s horrible,” Giltaca said.

Harding is a Western Standard correspondent based in Saskatchewan

News

BREAKING: Omicron found in Alberta

On Monday, Alberta Premier Jason Kenney announced 156 Albertans self-quarantining after returning from travel in a country that had been hit with Omicron.

mm

Published

on

The tentacles of the Omicron variant of COVID-19 have reached Alberta.

Dr. Deena Hinshaw said an Albertan returning home from Nigeria, via the Netherlands, has tested positive for Omicron.

Hinshaw said they tested positive a week ago and the person, who traveled alone, is now self-quarantining.

She said medical officials are trying to “delay” the spread of the variant until more research is done.

But Hinshaw refused to say where the traveller lives over fear it would identify them.

Hinshaw also urged people not to take out their frustrations against the family of the infected person nor the countries that are under an Omicron watch.

And she said people shouldn’t “think of this as a reset to Ground Zero.”

In her daily update, Hinshaw said in the last 24 hours, health officials have found 238 new cases of coronavirus. There are 434 people in the hospital with 81 in ICU. Another six people are reported to have succumbed to the virus.

On Monday, Alberta Premier Jason Kenney announced 156 Albertans self-quarantining after returning from travel in a country that had been hit with Omicron.

Six confirmed cases of the variant of concern have now been confirmed in Canada so far.

Earlier in the day, Canada added Nigeria, Malawi and Egypt to its Omicron travel ban.

On Friday, the government put restrictions on travellers from South Africa, Mozambique, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Lesotho and Eswatini.

“Obviously we’re watching very, very closely the situation with Omicron,” Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on his way into the cabinet meeting.

“There may be more we need to do and we’ll be looking at it very carefully.”

More to come…

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Continue Reading

News

Unvaxxed grounded in Canada

As of November 30, travellers will no longer be allowed to submit a negative test result in place of proof of vaccination to board a plane or train in Canada.

mm

Published

on

As of Tuesday, Canadian travellers over the age of 12 will no longer be able to fly or travel by train in Canada without proof of vaccination.

The policy was originally set to come into effect on October 30, however, the federal government announced it would grant a grace period to unvaccinated travellers allowing for a negative COVID-19 test to be provided within 72 hours of the trip.

As of November 30, travellers will no longer be allowed to submit a negative test result in place of proof of vaccination to board a plane or train in Canada.

The new travel restrictions for the unvaccinated come on the heels of the emergence of a new variant of concern (VOC) dubbed Omicron by the World Health Organization (WHO).

Cases involving the new variant, originally detected in South Africa, have been found in other countries including five cases within Canada.

Although there is not much known about the new variant at this time, the WHO confirmed scientists around the world are working to determine how the highly-mutated variant will affect transmissibility and severity of illness in the population.

Canada, along with other nations, closed its boards and expanded its screening protocols to travellers arriving from affected areas in southern Africa.

The Canadian airline industry welcomed the vaccine mandates when they were announced in October. Air Canada and West Jet have both confirmed they will be asking all travellers to produce proof of vaccination before boarding their carriers as of Tuesday.

While health measures such as masking and screening will still be required, no measures for quarantining individual travellers have been put in place with the exception of those who have travelled through or arrived from southern Africa.

“If you indicate to your airline or railway company that you’re eligible to board, but fail to provide proof of vaccination or valid COVID-19 test result, you won’t be allowed to travel and could face penalties or fines,” the government indicated in a statement.

The Canadian government is also warning permanent residents abroad to expect to provide vaccine passports to return home.

The rules don’t apply to commuter trains.

The Government of Canada has created a “reliable way to show proof of your COVID-19 vaccination history when travelling internationally and within Canada,” states the government’s website. The document is verified once uploaded to ArriveCAN upon returning to the country.

The website warns travellers are not guaranteed entry to another country with the documents and suggests checking the rules of your destination country and the countries you travel through.

“Today, Canada passed a sad milestone in its history,” said Matt Slatter, a pilot with a major Canadian airline and a founder of Free 2 Fly, a hub that has “Canadian aviation professionals standing with passengers in defence of freedom.”

“No longer can it hold itself as a beacon of freedom and liberal values.”

The Free 2 Fly website encourages passengers and airline workers who “feel strongly that the ability to travel should not be linked to vaccination status,” to sign up and join their movement.

“With the advent of mandates requiring all aviation and rail passengers to be vaccinated, Canada is now effectively a two-tier society,” said Slatter.

“On one tier, compliant citizens are afforded many of the rights they once enjoyed in a free society. While the other tier is essentially relegated to their own localities, with limited exception.

“History suggests this style of governance will only lead to more tragedy and heartbreak. The cure is inevitably worse than the disease. Will Canada learn from the mistakes of the past?”

Currently, there are just under 38,000 signed up on the Free 2 Fly site. One of the goals of the group is to “wage a legal campaign to block, and/or overturn, all vaccination mandates.”

Melanie Risdon is a reporter for the Western Standard
mrisdon@westernstandardonline.com

Continue Reading

News

CRTC trying to hang up on spoof calls

Caller ID spoofing occurs when callers hide or misrepresent their identity by displaying fictitious or altered phone numbers when making calls.

mm

Published

on

All those calls from the taxman and Canadian Border Services officials threatening to arrest you could soon be coming to an end thanks to new regulations from the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission.

“Many Canadians are now able to determine which calls can be trusted thanks to a new technology aimed at combating spoofed calls named STIR/SHAKEN. Caller ID spoofing is frequently used in nuisance and fraudulent calls to mask the identity of the caller,” said the CRTC in a release.

“As of today, telecommunications service providers will certify whether a caller’s identity can be trusted by verifying the caller ID information for Internet Protocol-based voice calls. This new technology will help reduce the frequency and impact of caller ID spoofing. As service providers continue to upgrade their IP networks and offer compatible phones to their customers, more and more Canadians will be able to see the effects of STIR/SHAKEN.”

It’s believed up to 25% of all calls in Canada are scams.

The CRTC said Caller ID spoofing occurs when callers hide or misrepresent their identity by displaying fictitious or altered phone numbers when making calls.

“This new caller ID technology will empower Canadians to determine which calls are legitimate and worth answering, and which need to be treated with caution. As more providers upgrade their networks, STIR/SHAKEN will undoubtedly reduce spoofing and help Canadians regain peace of mind when answering phone calls,” said Ian Scott, CRTC CEO.

Continue Reading

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Share

Petition: No Media Bailouts

We the undersigned call on the Canadian government to immediately cease all payouts to media companies.

784 signatures

No Media Bailouts

The fourth estate is critical to a functioning democracy in holding the government to account. An objective media can't maintain editorial integrity when it accepts money from a government we expect it to be critical of.

We the undersigned call on the Canadian government to immediately cease all payouts to media companies.

**your signature**



The Western Standard will never accept government bailout money. By becoming a Western Standard member, you are supporting government bailout-free and proudly western media that is on your side. With your support, we can give Westerners a voice that doesn\'t need taxpayers money.

Share this with your friends:

Trending

Copyright © Western Standard New Media Corp.