fbpx
Connect with us

News

Kenney says sorry for Sky Palace shindig

Kenney said after the outcry, staff went up and measured the distance each chair was set aside from each other.

mm

Published

on

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney has apologized.

Kenney told a press conference Monday he was “taking full responsibility” after photos emerged of him and top ministers breaking COVID-19 regulations during an outdoor dinner meeting on the Sky Palace balcony.

Kenney said after the outcry, staff went up and measured the distance each chair was set aside from each other. He said while four chairs were two feet apart, two chairs were not. In one photo, a total of eight people were at the table.

“I regret the perception this has created. I truly regret it. I take full responsibility,” a contrite Kenney said.

“I sincerely apologize to my colleagues and Albertans. I hope to learn from this.”

But Kenney dodged when asked why there was a bottle of Jameson Irish Whiskey on the table, saying only it was given to him as a gift for his birthday.

Kenney was pilloried after photos emerged last week showing him sitting with eight other people – including cabinet ministers – on the Sky Palace’s patio, clearly not following socially distancing rules. The linen-covered table is topped with a 40 oz. bottle of Jameson Irish Whiskey, wine glasses and bottled water.

Health Minister Tyler Shandro, Finance Minister Travis Toews, Government House Leader Jason Nixon were all gathered around the table.

Shandro and Toews both apologized for their part in the dinner during question period, after Kenney’s apology.

Leela Aheer, Minister of Culture, Multiculturalism, and Status of Women, and Minister of Community and Social Services Rajan Sawhney both took shots at Kenney over the weekend.

UCP MLAs Angela Pitt and David Hanson have publicly said they were appalled by the group’s behaviour. Independent MLA’s Drew Barnes and Todd Loewen have called on Kenney to resign

The UCP caucus chair, Richard Gotfried has stepped down from his role in the wake of Jason Kenney’s Sky Palace shindig.

And earlier Monday, former Wildrose leader Brian Jean demanded Kenney resign.

The Western Standard’s Fact Check found Kenney and his guests have 18 counts of violating their own regulations, and eight counts of violating their own guidelines.

Kenney claimed it was a working business dinner that was taken outside because the risk of virus transmission is lower than being inside. He brushed aside NDP criticism, saying they did not want Alberta to reopen and no COVID-19 regulations were broken.

The Sky Palace was a media-dubbed name when it emerged former Premier Alison Redford was renovating the top of the Federal Building into a private residence for her and her daughter.

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard and the Vice-President: News Division of Western Standard New Media Corp. He has served as the City Editor of the Calgary Sun and has covered Alberta news for nearly 40 years. dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com

Continue Reading
13 Comments

13 Comments

  1. Proudly_Free

    June 9, 2021 at 10:04 am

    He can apologize by FIRING HIMSELF after he fires Hoaxshaw and everyone else who was at that table that night. He can then go turn himself in to police for all of the blood that he has on his hands from the thousands who have died as a result of his policies. We’re all in this together, Mr. Kenney. So, it’s time for you and your colleagues to start missing some paycheques too.

  2. Neil Montgomery

    June 8, 2021 at 8:44 am

    Well, if anyone us us gets “caught” breaking Kenny’s ridiculous rules and subsequently end up with a large fine, we will just go to the media and apologize, regret the perception it created, take full responsibility and tell Kenny that we hope to learn from this, then throw the ticket in the trash and carry on living in Kenny’s pretend world of deception, lies and outright lies
    where all other causes of death have taken a sabbatical (for the last 18 months) and every death is directly related to the COVID Plandemic. Me think somebody has caught Mr. Kenny chasing the sheep in the pasture, and he is terrified that he might have to apologize publicly, regret the perception it created, take full responsibility and tell the public (or the priest) that he hopes to learn from this.

  3. Baron Not Baron

    June 7, 2021 at 7:36 pm

    WILDROSE INDEPENDENCE PARTY OF ALBERTA !!! No need for anything else but to live free in an independent Alberta. Independent from despots!

  4. Steven Ruthven

    June 7, 2021 at 7:21 pm

    Was an expensive birthday party, politically for Premier Kenney, very expensive. Former Premier Redford fell off that building also.

  5. Baron Not Baron

    June 7, 2021 at 5:57 pm

    Shove your apology up yours and get the hell out of Alberta!

  6. berta baby

    June 7, 2021 at 3:09 pm

    There goes bother 10 % of his support, bet he wishes he didn’t lose his base now huh?
    I think a fake apology isn’t enough … charges should be laid and resignations handed in.

    Shandro and kenney can’t play the I didn’t know card…. those cucks jailed pastors and set the rules .

    What a pathetic joke of a leader

  7. Geri Klaassens

    June 7, 2021 at 2:48 pm

    *parties

  8. Geri Klaassens

    June 7, 2021 at 2:47 pm

    So true. Birthday parties on a rooftop are not what I or many others object to, but the hypocrisy.
    The fact that so many regulations and guidelines were violated proves
    1) the government doesn’t believe any of them are valid, and
    2) there are WAY TOO MANY rules and regulations!

  9. Geri Klaassens

    June 7, 2021 at 2:40 pm

    Working business dinner? That’s an unusual synonym for birthday lunch, imo.

  10. CodexCoder

    June 7, 2021 at 2:12 pm

    Sorry (not sorry). The non-apology apology. Got caught meaning that the Dina Henshaw rules are in fact total bovine excrement. Let the people go!

  11. Cosmo Kramer

    June 7, 2021 at 2:08 pm

    He should not be apologizing for dining out. He should be apologizing for prohibiting Albertans from dining out and the oppressive lockdown rules he is persecuting Albertans with. He should be apologizing for the failed businesses, suicides, substance abuse, poor mental health, domestic abuse he has inflicted on Alberta. He should be apologizing for aggressively marketing (as if big Pharma cannot pay for it on their own?) an experimental DNA altering injection not approved by Health Canada (with a record number of deaths and adverse reactions) for an illness with a 99.8% recovery rate. That he is pushing it on children who are at 0 risk is all the more horrendous.

    If he apologized for all the carnage that would show true courage and remorse.

  12. Barbara

    June 7, 2021 at 1:51 pm

    https://battleforcanada.com/
    Max Bernier and Derek Sloane coming to the the ledge in Edmonton

  13. K

    June 7, 2021 at 1:31 pm

    Swine. Only apologizing because he was caught. Only apologizing. Resign and replace with a non-globalist, NOW.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Edmonton anchor fuming after pride flag ripped down

Karstens-Smith said she has called police and urged people to share her post so the culprit can be found.

mm

Published

on

An Edmonton news anchor is furious after a Pride flag was ripped down from its pole outside her home.

“I am LIVID right now,” tweeted Breanna Karstens-Smith, a Global anchor.

Karstens-Smith

“This just happened at my house. Someone came and tore down our Pride flag. No one touched it for a year when it was a Canada flag but now that it’s for pride this happens.

“THIS IS WHY WE NEED PRIDE MONTH.”

Karstens-Smith said she has called police and urged people to share her post so the culprit can be found.

Pride flag torn down

“And they are greatly mistaken if they think we’re not putting another one up. Ordering a new flag pole now. Flag is thankfully fine but we got it from @thequiltbagyeg and would love to see more in our city,” she tweeted.

“Our flag is back up and our house feels right again. Thank you for the kind messages of support. The best part is hearing from people now putting up their own flags. I’d love to see photos of them. Happy Pride.”

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Continue Reading

News

Regina chamber CEO calls COVID-19 protesters ‘narrow, dimwitted, racist’

“I personally do not support the anti-mask movement at all. I find their views narrow, dimwitted, racist and teetering on the edge of outright lunacy,” said John Hopkins.

mm

Published

on

Regina Chamber of Commerce CEO John Hopkins denounced COVID-19 protesters and their message in an email sent to the organization’s members.

“The anti-mask group in Regina are a very small but loud group. They have been protesting for months. They believe that they have a right to not wear a mask,” Hopkins wrote.

“Some are of the view that there are tracking devices in the masks and still others believe that this is a global conspiracy.

“…the anti-maskers have crossed the line. They have been harassing business owners, people on the street and now their latest target, kids at schools. In my opinion targeting kids is too far, way too far.

“I personally do not support the anti-mask movement at all. I find their views narrow, dimwitted, racist and teetering on the edge of outright lunacy. They certainly have the right to say what they want but the same rights and privileges extend to the rest of us….

“Racism is a vicious challenge that we need to address as a country, province and community. The time has come to act and stand up.”

The Western Standard asked Hopkins what harassment had occurred in Regina.

“There’s a candy shop on 13th Avenue,” Hopkins said.

“The business owner asked them to put on a mask and they refused and business owner refused to serve them.”

The incident from May 26 was watched almost 30,000 times on a YouTube video. The would-be customers were standing outside on the deck of the business across from the serving window.

“There has been some altercations between anti maskers and other people, actually on the street, I believe on Albert Street,” Hopkins said.

“And throughout the course of the last 14 months on, generally speaking, it’s just been people on the side of the street.”

Hopkins’ accusation of racism concerned comments made about Saskatchewan’s Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Saqib Shahab.

“There were some very troubling remarks about Dr. Shahab that the premier addressed. We were quite concerned about that… as well as other sort of comments on telling people to go home and that type of thing on some of the signs.”

At a December 14 press conference, Premier Moe said the “end was in sight” for COVID-19 restrictions, but he was “embarassed” at “racist”,”foolish”, and “idiotic” comments made by a protester at the legislature. In a video posted days before, a man tried to say Shahab’s name a few times unsuccessfully before commenting, “can’t get these foreigners’ names right.”

Regarding students, Hopkins said, “I’ve heard that they were at a school and that they were talking to kids at a school this past week….and parking in the school parking lot….I just think going to the school is a bit much.”

Hopkins said masks help.

“It blows my mind that somehow when the Chief Medical Officer – not only one, but many across the country, and in fact, globally – are saying, wear a mask, I think it’s pretty straightforward wearing a mask is one of the things that can help people stay safe…Even though we’re making headway against the virus, it’s still out there that masks aren’t doing anything. And I find it just bizarre.”

The email was posted on the Freedom Alliance Facebook page by Kevin Volk.

“Check out this crap that was sent to me,” Volk wrote, urging people to phone the chamber to express their displeasure.

Volk told the Western Standard he had a cleaning business and had been a chamber member “for well over ten years.”

“This is just another slap in the face for business owners. The chamber has been pushing for businesses to remain closed even tho they are supposed to help businesses. They have done absolutely nothing for small businesses owners,” he said.

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Continue Reading

News

Canadians hit with millions of dollars of COVID fines

Cabinet tabled in the Commons detailed enforcement actions under the Quarantine Act.

mm

Published

on

The feds have issued tickets for close to $3 million for COVID-19 scofflaws who have refused to quarantine at hotels after arriving back in the country, says Blacklock’s Reporter.

Other tickets handed out include fines for fraudulent COVID-19 test results.

Cabinet tabled in the Commons detailed enforcement actions under the Quarantine Act.

“I think it is important that we adhere to the public health advice that we are all getting, that we do our part as Canadians to try and protect our health care system,” Health Minister Patricia Hajdu earlier told reporters.

Records show a total 988 air passengers were each ticketed $3,000 for “refusing to go to government-approved accommodation” on arrival in Canada. The majority of tickets, 621, were issued at Toronto’s Pearson International Airport followed by Vancouver (194 tickets) and Montréal (173).

Cabinet on January 7 passed an order requiring all air travelers to prove they were COVID-19-free with tests taken a maximum 72 hours prior to arrival. An identical order for cross-border drivers was invoked February 22.

The Canada Border Services Agency found 62 travelers with fake tests, said the report, and four were each ticketed $3,000.

Another 9,003 travelers were cited for not having proof of a valid test, including 4,583 drivers and 4,420 air passengers.

“This would include individuals who did not test at all, who were in possession of tests outside the required 72-hour time frame, tests that did not originate from the required country of origin, tests that are suspected fraudulent and other reasons,” wrote staff.

Public Safety Minister Bill Blair defended the enforcement.

“Cancel your vacation plans,” Blair told reporters February 12.

“Stay home. Respect the rules. We believe that through these effective measures, appropriate screening and the testing measures in particular that we have put in place coupled with robust and enforced quarantine orders, it is the best way to prevent variants from spreading across our borders into Canada.”

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Continue Reading

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Share

Petition: No Media Bailouts

We the undersigned call on the Canadian government to immediately cease all payouts to media companies.

9 signatures

No Media Bailouts

The fourth estate is critical to a functioning democracy in holding the government to account. An objective media can't maintain editorial integrity when it accepts money from a government we expect it to be critical of.

We the undersigned call on the Canadian government to immediately cease all payouts to media companies.

**your signature**



The Western Standard will never accept government bailout money. By becoming a Western Standard member, you are supporting government bailout-free and proudly western media that is on your side. With your support, we can give Westerners a voice that doesn\'t need taxpayers money.

Share this with your friends:

Trending

Copyright © Western Standard New Media Corp.