fbpx
Connect with us

News

Whistle Stop owner Scott to seek Wildrose nomination for next election

“We have to make sure it never happens again,” said Chris Scott.

mm

Published

on

The Whistle Stop Cafe is open again and serving food in defiance of lockdown orders – with owner Chris Scott cooking up the idea to run for provincial political office.

Scott told the Western Standard on Thursday he will seek the nomination for the Lacombe-Ponoka constituency for the Wildrose Independence Party (WIP).

Scott gained fame in mid-January being one of the first restaurants in the province to defy lockdown orders and reopen his rural cafe.

Last week, in a scene reminiscent of Prohibition-era tactics, the RCMP moved in and seized all his beer. On Wednesday, the RCMP and Alberta Health Services officials conducted seized the property and padlocked it.

“This is no longer about trying to avoid bankruptcy or trying to save the restaurant, this is about making sure this never happens again in Canada or Alberta,” Scott said, as customers stopped by for a coffee and pancakes while he made prepared orders in a makeshift kitchen outside his shuttered establishment.

“I really feel we have to get this out to as many people as possible. We have to make sure it never happens again.”

Scott says he has been in touch with Paul Hinman — former interim leader of the WIP, and currently campaigning for the full-time leadership of the party — to help him through the nomination process. He noted a Wildrose constituency association has just been set up in the area.

If he gets elected, Scott said the first bill he will bring forward is one entrenching personal rights and freedoms.

The constituency is currently held by the UCP’s Ron Orr.

Scott decided to defy provincial lockdown orders and restrictions introduced by the UCP government and opened his restaurant on Jan. 21. He said he received overwhelming support and daily visits from the Mounties.

Scott is the only gas station or restaurant in Mirror, a town of about 500, 50-km northeast of Red Deer, and now he’s seeing people from all over the province stopping in.

“The law is garbage – it”s doing more harm than good,” said Scott in an earlier interview with the Western Standard.

“It’s also a financial issue, my sister and I were just sitting back and watching our savings dwindle.

“If they want to throw me in jail for trying to earn a living, go ahead,” said Scott, who could face a raft of penalties from fines, loss of his liquor licence and even jail.

Scott has owned the cafe since July 2019, but it has been a fixture in town since 1967.

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard and the Vice-President: News Division of Western Standard New Media Corp. He has served as the City Editor of the Calgary Sun and has covered Alberta news for nearly 40 years. dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com

Continue Reading
7 Comments

7 Comments

  1. Joc2257

    May 7, 2021 at 9:27 am

    Good for Chris, Wildrose Independence Party is the only party that will not cow tail to the Laurentian global elitist, and the totalitarianism coming out of Ottawa. The only party that will have Albertans back. The only Party that will institute all of the Fair Deal panels finding and recommendations. The only true Canadian patriot party to protect the Charter of Rights and Freedoms that all true Alberta patriots understand and cherish.

  2. Baron Not Baron

    May 6, 2021 at 11:22 pm

    The people have no representation. Yet. How is it possible these soulless beings receive a salary from the tax payers? Enough bullshit. RCMP? What is that thing good for? Someone who’s not a wimp would not accept a paycheque to do harm.

    WILDROSE INDEPENDENCE PARTY OF ALBERTA is what Alberta has to have! Let’s have it! That will give all of these bullies what they deserve.

  3. Steven Ruthven

    May 6, 2021 at 9:48 pm

    People!! We need to start posting pictures of large department big box stores when they violate COVID-19 guidelines to Social Media. Maybe the Western Standard can setup a space for that to happen. Name of store, date, & time. Especially in the large cities. Then see what our AHS Goddess proclaims.

    After reading about what Cathy Smith said in the article on the Western Standard. I have no confidence that Premier Kenney or Dr. Hinshaw are being truthful with the public. I very much doubt their statistical data. AHS & the Kenney Gov are not providing proper statistical data to the Courts or us to prove the necessity for this harsh of a lockdown. True??

    What is despicable to me now is, the RCMP & other police forces are being asked to enforce Hinshaw’s & Kenney’s edicts & court actions, but are Kenney’s & Hinshaw lying to obtain these court actions while manipulating the stats. I say Trust but Verify to the police. The police by law have to up hold the law & court actions. However, it is also the responsibility of the police to ensure their actions are legal in accordance with the Constitution & Canada’s Bill of Rights.

    Premier Kenney & Dr. Hinshaw need to be held accountable in a public enquiry where all the evidence is brought out & publicly exposed for all to see.

    Let’s see them squirm then.

  4. Lisa Sheppard

    May 6, 2021 at 4:28 pm

    Wesley, I completely agree. This action was a theft against a Canadian’s livelihood and his rights, and “law” officials sat back and let it happen. We should ALL be alarmed that this can and is happening in our province!

  5. Andrew Pludek

    May 6, 2021 at 12:24 pm

    Well done Chris! Keep it up,the pressure is mounting and Kenney’s knee jerk reaction is a very real symptom of their panic.

  6. Wesley

    May 6, 2021 at 11:28 am

    It is absolutely painful to watch Chris’s video as the police and AHS thugs stand there and lock up his business. Pathetic!

  7. Dennis Richter

    May 6, 2021 at 10:54 am

    Alberta needs more Chris Scott’s. Hats off to you Chris for taking charge of your destiny and trying to make a difference. Every Albertan should look at Chris’s example and get involved in their government before its too late.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Edmonton anchor fuming after pride flag ripped down

Karstens-Smith said she has called police and urged people to share her post so the culprit can be found.

mm

Published

on

An Edmonton news anchor is furious after a Pride flag was ripped down from its pole outside her home.

“I am LIVID right now,” tweeted Breanna Karstens-Smith, a Global anchor.

Karstens-Smith

“This just happened at my house. Someone came and tore down our Pride flag. No one touched it for a year when it was a Canada flag but now that it’s for pride this happens.

“THIS IS WHY WE NEED PRIDE MONTH.”

Karstens-Smith said she has called police and urged people to share her post so the culprit can be found.

Pride flag torn down

“And they are greatly mistaken if they think we’re not putting another one up. Ordering a new flag pole now. Flag is thankfully fine but we got it from @thequiltbagyeg and would love to see more in our city,” she tweeted.

“Our flag is back up and our house feels right again. Thank you for the kind messages of support. The best part is hearing from people now putting up their own flags. I’d love to see photos of them. Happy Pride.”

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Continue Reading

News

Regina chamber CEO calls COVID-19 protesters ‘narrow, dimwitted, racist’

“I personally do not support the anti-mask movement at all. I find their views narrow, dimwitted, racist and teetering on the edge of outright lunacy,” said John Hopkins.

mm

Published

on

Regina Chamber of Commerce CEO John Hopkins denounced COVID-19 protesters and their message in an email sent to the organization’s members.

“The anti-mask group in Regina are a very small but loud group. They have been protesting for months. They believe that they have a right to not wear a mask,” Hopkins wrote.

“Some are of the view that there are tracking devices in the masks and still others believe that this is a global conspiracy.

“…the anti-maskers have crossed the line. They have been harassing business owners, people on the street and now their latest target, kids at schools. In my opinion targeting kids is too far, way too far.

“I personally do not support the anti-mask movement at all. I find their views narrow, dimwitted, racist and teetering on the edge of outright lunacy. They certainly have the right to say what they want but the same rights and privileges extend to the rest of us….

“Racism is a vicious challenge that we need to address as a country, province and community. The time has come to act and stand up.”

The Western Standard asked Hopkins what harassment had occurred in Regina.

“There’s a candy shop on 13th Avenue,” Hopkins said.

“The business owner asked them to put on a mask and they refused and business owner refused to serve them.”

The incident from May 26 was watched almost 30,000 times on a YouTube video. The would-be customers were standing outside on the deck of the business across from the serving window.

“There has been some altercations between anti maskers and other people, actually on the street, I believe on Albert Street,” Hopkins said.

“And throughout the course of the last 14 months on, generally speaking, it’s just been people on the side of the street.”

Hopkins’ accusation of racism concerned comments made about Saskatchewan’s Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Saqib Shahab.

“There were some very troubling remarks about Dr. Shahab that the premier addressed. We were quite concerned about that… as well as other sort of comments on telling people to go home and that type of thing on some of the signs.”

At a December 14 press conference, Premier Moe said the “end was in sight” for COVID-19 restrictions, but he was “embarassed” at “racist”,”foolish”, and “idiotic” comments made by a protester at the legislature. In a video posted days before, a man tried to say Shahab’s name a few times unsuccessfully before commenting, “can’t get these foreigners’ names right.”

Regarding students, Hopkins said, “I’ve heard that they were at a school and that they were talking to kids at a school this past week….and parking in the school parking lot….I just think going to the school is a bit much.”

Hopkins said masks help.

“It blows my mind that somehow when the Chief Medical Officer – not only one, but many across the country, and in fact, globally – are saying, wear a mask, I think it’s pretty straightforward wearing a mask is one of the things that can help people stay safe…Even though we’re making headway against the virus, it’s still out there that masks aren’t doing anything. And I find it just bizarre.”

The email was posted on the Freedom Alliance Facebook page by Kevin Volk.

“Check out this crap that was sent to me,” Volk wrote, urging people to phone the chamber to express their displeasure.

Volk told the Western Standard he had a cleaning business and had been a chamber member “for well over ten years.”

“This is just another slap in the face for business owners. The chamber has been pushing for businesses to remain closed even tho they are supposed to help businesses. They have done absolutely nothing for small businesses owners,” he said.

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Continue Reading

News

Canadians hit with millions of dollars of COVID fines

Cabinet tabled in the Commons detailed enforcement actions under the Quarantine Act.

mm

Published

on

The feds have issued tickets for close to $3 million for COVID-19 scofflaws who have refused to quarantine at hotels after arriving back in the country, says Blacklock’s Reporter.

Other tickets handed out include fines for fraudulent COVID-19 test results.

Cabinet tabled in the Commons detailed enforcement actions under the Quarantine Act.

“I think it is important that we adhere to the public health advice that we are all getting, that we do our part as Canadians to try and protect our health care system,” Health Minister Patricia Hajdu earlier told reporters.

Records show a total 988 air passengers were each ticketed $3,000 for “refusing to go to government-approved accommodation” on arrival in Canada. The majority of tickets, 621, were issued at Toronto’s Pearson International Airport followed by Vancouver (194 tickets) and Montréal (173).

Cabinet on January 7 passed an order requiring all air travelers to prove they were COVID-19-free with tests taken a maximum 72 hours prior to arrival. An identical order for cross-border drivers was invoked February 22.

The Canada Border Services Agency found 62 travelers with fake tests, said the report, and four were each ticketed $3,000.

Another 9,003 travelers were cited for not having proof of a valid test, including 4,583 drivers and 4,420 air passengers.

“This would include individuals who did not test at all, who were in possession of tests outside the required 72-hour time frame, tests that did not originate from the required country of origin, tests that are suspected fraudulent and other reasons,” wrote staff.

Public Safety Minister Bill Blair defended the enforcement.

“Cancel your vacation plans,” Blair told reporters February 12.

“Stay home. Respect the rules. We believe that through these effective measures, appropriate screening and the testing measures in particular that we have put in place coupled with robust and enforced quarantine orders, it is the best way to prevent variants from spreading across our borders into Canada.”

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Continue Reading

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Share

Petition: No Media Bailouts

We the undersigned call on the Canadian government to immediately cease all payouts to media companies.

9 signatures

No Media Bailouts

The fourth estate is critical to a functioning democracy in holding the government to account. An objective media can't maintain editorial integrity when it accepts money from a government we expect it to be critical of.

We the undersigned call on the Canadian government to immediately cease all payouts to media companies.

**your signature**



The Western Standard will never accept government bailout money. By becoming a Western Standard member, you are supporting government bailout-free and proudly western media that is on your side. With your support, we can give Westerners a voice that doesn\'t need taxpayers money.

Share this with your friends:

Trending

Copyright © Western Standard New Media Corp.