fbpx
Connect with us

News

Whitmer warns Enbridge any energy profits will belong to Michigan

On Tuesday, Canadian government officials filed court papers in an effort to keep the line pumping and continue mediation. The line supplies much of the energy used in eastern Canada.

mm

Published

on

Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer has told Calgary-based Enbridge profits from any oil going through their Line 5 pipeline as of Thursday belongs to her state.

The threat was contained in a letter from Whitmer and Department of Natural Resources Director Dan Eichinger who wrote Tuesday to Enbridge Executive Vice President Vern Yu.

Whitmer’s office notified Enbridge in November it was revoking an easement granted 67 years ago to extend a 6.4 km section of the pipeline through the Straits of Mackinac.

It carries about 87 million liters of oil and natural gas liquids daily between Superior, WI, and Sarnia, Ont., traversing parts of northern Michigan and Wisconsin.

There is an underwater section between the Straits of Mackinac, which connects Lake Huron and Lake Michigan. It is divided into two pipes that are 50-cm in diameter. Enbridge maintains they’re in good condition and have never leaked.

On Tuesday, Canadian government officials filed court papers in an effort to keep the line pumping and continue mediation. The line supplies much of the energy used in eastern Canada.

Whimer’s letter said Enbridge will be trespassing on state property and unjustly enriching itself financially if it continues to operate Line 5 after midnight Wednesday.

“To the extent that Enbridge benefits financially from that use and operation after May 12, 2021, it will be liable for unjust enrichment, which will require disgorgement to the State of all profits derived from its wrongful use of the State’s property,” Whitmer wrote.

“Enbridge will be liable to the State for its continued use of the Straits Pipelines after the effective date of the notice.”

As of now, the two sides can’t even agree in which court their fight will be held. Michigan sued Enbridge in state court while Canadian feds filed in US federal court. Even getting that settled could take years.

The company hasn’t responded to Whitmer’s letter.

Michigan environmental groups applauded the governor’s actions.

“Enbridge is now operating illegally, adding to their long legacy of corporate irresponsibility,” Mike Shriberg, the Great Lakes regional director of the National Wildlife Federation, said in a statement.

“They had already lost their social license to operate in the Great Lakes — now they have also lost their legal right.”

Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm told media at a White House briefing Tuesday that “we don’t weigh in on that” when asked about the shutdown order. 

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard and the Vice-President: News Division of Western Standard New Media Corp. He has served as the City Editor of the Calgary Sun and has covered Alberta news for nearly 40 years. dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com

Continue Reading
6 Comments

6 Comments

  1. Left Coast

    May 13, 2021 at 9:37 am

    Gov Wit-less . . . Demokkkrat tyrant and fool.

  2. Joc2257

    May 13, 2021 at 8:51 am

    This so called governor is trying to extort more money to keep the job intact. She and her Demoncrats have bankrupted the state and she is now using fascist style methods to get Enbridge to cough up more money for her and the Michigan Demoncrats to wallow in. She is follow the the play book set out in the 1930 by the National Socialist Workers Party of Germany. Her whole governorship has been following along this path and I wonder how many people in Michigan know where she is taking the state

  3. Dennis Richter

    May 13, 2021 at 6:51 am

    Delay this shutdown until December 15th and then wish all a Very Merry Christmas 🎅

  4. lajc63@gmail.com

    May 12, 2021 at 11:39 pm

    Drain the swamp on both sides of the 49th parallel!

  5. Chris

    May 12, 2021 at 9:20 pm

    Would be real nice to shut off Ontario and Quebec’s oil supply for a few weeks. Unfortunately I suspect a last minute deal will be reached. But I can still hope for the worst, lol.

  6. CodexCoder

    May 12, 2021 at 3:57 pm

    The wicked witch of Michigan, Wretched Gretchen Twitmer, has no idea how the law works. She can bloviate about anything she wants, make any ridiculous claims, but once the contract/treaty is discussed in court, she will be sadly disappointed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Edmonton anchor fuming after pride flag ripped down

Karstens-Smith said she has called police and urged people to share her post so the culprit can be found.

mm

Published

on

An Edmonton news anchor is furious after a Pride flag was ripped down from its pole outside her home.

“I am LIVID right now,” tweeted Breanna Karstens-Smith, a Global anchor.

Karstens-Smith

“This just happened at my house. Someone came and tore down our Pride flag. No one touched it for a year when it was a Canada flag but now that it’s for pride this happens.

“THIS IS WHY WE NEED PRIDE MONTH.”

Karstens-Smith said she has called police and urged people to share her post so the culprit can be found.

Pride flag torn down

“And they are greatly mistaken if they think we’re not putting another one up. Ordering a new flag pole now. Flag is thankfully fine but we got it from @thequiltbagyeg and would love to see more in our city,” she tweeted.

“Our flag is back up and our house feels right again. Thank you for the kind messages of support. The best part is hearing from people now putting up their own flags. I’d love to see photos of them. Happy Pride.”

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Continue Reading

News

Regina chamber CEO calls COVID-19 protesters ‘narrow, dimwitted, racist’

“I personally do not support the anti-mask movement at all. I find their views narrow, dimwitted, racist and teetering on the edge of outright lunacy,” said John Hopkins.

mm

Published

on

Regina Chamber of Commerce CEO John Hopkins denounced COVID-19 protesters and their message in an email sent to the organization’s members.

“The anti-mask group in Regina are a very small but loud group. They have been protesting for months. They believe that they have a right to not wear a mask,” Hopkins wrote.

“Some are of the view that there are tracking devices in the masks and still others believe that this is a global conspiracy.

“…the anti-maskers have crossed the line. They have been harassing business owners, people on the street and now their latest target, kids at schools. In my opinion targeting kids is too far, way too far.

“I personally do not support the anti-mask movement at all. I find their views narrow, dimwitted, racist and teetering on the edge of outright lunacy. They certainly have the right to say what they want but the same rights and privileges extend to the rest of us….

“Racism is a vicious challenge that we need to address as a country, province and community. The time has come to act and stand up.”

The Western Standard asked Hopkins what harassment had occurred in Regina.

“There’s a candy shop on 13th Avenue,” Hopkins said.

“The business owner asked them to put on a mask and they refused and business owner refused to serve them.”

The incident from May 26 was watched almost 30,000 times on a YouTube video. The would-be customers were standing outside on the deck of the business across from the serving window.

“There has been some altercations between anti maskers and other people, actually on the street, I believe on Albert Street,” Hopkins said.

“And throughout the course of the last 14 months on, generally speaking, it’s just been people on the side of the street.”

Hopkins’ accusation of racism concerned comments made about Saskatchewan’s Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Saqib Shahab.

“There were some very troubling remarks about Dr. Shahab that the premier addressed. We were quite concerned about that… as well as other sort of comments on telling people to go home and that type of thing on some of the signs.”

At a December 14 press conference, Premier Moe said the “end was in sight” for COVID-19 restrictions, but he was “embarassed” at “racist”,”foolish”, and “idiotic” comments made by a protester at the legislature. In a video posted days before, a man tried to say Shahab’s name a few times unsuccessfully before commenting, “can’t get these foreigners’ names right.”

Regarding students, Hopkins said, “I’ve heard that they were at a school and that they were talking to kids at a school this past week….and parking in the school parking lot….I just think going to the school is a bit much.”

Hopkins said masks help.

“It blows my mind that somehow when the Chief Medical Officer – not only one, but many across the country, and in fact, globally – are saying, wear a mask, I think it’s pretty straightforward wearing a mask is one of the things that can help people stay safe…Even though we’re making headway against the virus, it’s still out there that masks aren’t doing anything. And I find it just bizarre.”

The email was posted on the Freedom Alliance Facebook page by Kevin Volk.

“Check out this crap that was sent to me,” Volk wrote, urging people to phone the chamber to express their displeasure.

Volk told the Western Standard he had a cleaning business and had been a chamber member “for well over ten years.”

“This is just another slap in the face for business owners. The chamber has been pushing for businesses to remain closed even tho they are supposed to help businesses. They have done absolutely nothing for small businesses owners,” he said.

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Continue Reading

News

Canadians hit with millions of dollars of COVID fines

Cabinet tabled in the Commons detailed enforcement actions under the Quarantine Act.

mm

Published

on

The feds have issued tickets for close to $3 million for COVID-19 scofflaws who have refused to quarantine at hotels after arriving back in the country, says Blacklock’s Reporter.

Other tickets handed out include fines for fraudulent COVID-19 test results.

Cabinet tabled in the Commons detailed enforcement actions under the Quarantine Act.

“I think it is important that we adhere to the public health advice that we are all getting, that we do our part as Canadians to try and protect our health care system,” Health Minister Patricia Hajdu earlier told reporters.

Records show a total 988 air passengers were each ticketed $3,000 for “refusing to go to government-approved accommodation” on arrival in Canada. The majority of tickets, 621, were issued at Toronto’s Pearson International Airport followed by Vancouver (194 tickets) and Montréal (173).

Cabinet on January 7 passed an order requiring all air travelers to prove they were COVID-19-free with tests taken a maximum 72 hours prior to arrival. An identical order for cross-border drivers was invoked February 22.

The Canada Border Services Agency found 62 travelers with fake tests, said the report, and four were each ticketed $3,000.

Another 9,003 travelers were cited for not having proof of a valid test, including 4,583 drivers and 4,420 air passengers.

“This would include individuals who did not test at all, who were in possession of tests outside the required 72-hour time frame, tests that did not originate from the required country of origin, tests that are suspected fraudulent and other reasons,” wrote staff.

Public Safety Minister Bill Blair defended the enforcement.

“Cancel your vacation plans,” Blair told reporters February 12.

“Stay home. Respect the rules. We believe that through these effective measures, appropriate screening and the testing measures in particular that we have put in place coupled with robust and enforced quarantine orders, it is the best way to prevent variants from spreading across our borders into Canada.”

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Continue Reading

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Share

Petition: No Media Bailouts

We the undersigned call on the Canadian government to immediately cease all payouts to media companies.

9 signatures

No Media Bailouts

The fourth estate is critical to a functioning democracy in holding the government to account. An objective media can't maintain editorial integrity when it accepts money from a government we expect it to be critical of.

We the undersigned call on the Canadian government to immediately cease all payouts to media companies.

**your signature**



The Western Standard will never accept government bailout money. By becoming a Western Standard member, you are supporting government bailout-free and proudly western media that is on your side. With your support, we can give Westerners a voice that doesn\'t need taxpayers money.

Share this with your friends:

Trending

Copyright © Western Standard New Media Corp.