News

EXCLUSIVE: UCP Secretary quits over ‘lies’

Smith has worked with conservative parties since 1976.

The former secretary of Alberta’s United Conservative Party (UCP) says she decided to resign from the board because she “was tired of all the lies.”

In an exclusive interview with the Western Standard, Cathy Smith said she handed in her notice on April 6, after a string of statements and actions about the COVID-19 pandemic by Premier Jason Kenney.

Smith said the beginning of the end started when Kenney held a press conference over COVID-19 and warned of a pandemic so extreme there would be “body bags coming out of McMahon Stadium.”

“I said to myself ‘Are you kidding me’. There will never be body bags coming out of McMahon Stadium,” said Smith.

“I know nurses. Nurses at the time told me there was nothing going on in their hospitals.”

Smith said Kenney then started to condemn the “right-wing, the conspiracy theorists.”

“I said wait a minute, I’m right-wing. And then the way we treated Dr. (Dennis) Modry. I thought this wasn’t the right way to represent our 40,000 members,” she said.

Kenney and Modry have been in a battle of letters. Modry published an open letter to the premier on the Western Standard saying lockdowns don’t work. The letter went viral and has been viewed hundreds of thousands of time. It took Kenney three months to reply with his own letter.

As party secretary, Smith dealt with more than 100 e-mails, either from party members or people who voted for the UCP, about how the lockdowns were affecting their lives.

“We had an e-mail from a family whose grandfather died because his heart operation had been postponed. I e-mailed everyone back. I explained I was not writing as a representative of the party. I told them I didn’t agree with what the party was doing,” Smith said.

Smith said she was aware of a group of men in Medicine Hat who went to high school together – 20 of whom have committed suicide since the pandemic started.

“I told everyone to get involved at the (constituency association) level if they really want to make change,” Smith said.

She said the last straw for her was when Kenney appeared on talk show host Danielle Smith’s last show on QR77 and said he wasn’t aware the party board had approved a leadership vote in 2022, just six months before the next election.

“I was just tired of all the lies, Kenney pretended he didn’t know about the leadership vote. I thought ‘This is not the way — where’s the trust’,” Smith said.

“I was tired of all the lockdowns (without proof they work). But I said to myself, I will never quit, never, never, never.”

Finally, after talking to several other board members, Smith handed in her notice.

Smith has worked with conservative parties since 1976. As to where she will vote in the next election: “I’m still waiting.”

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard and the Vice-President: News Division of Western Standard New Media Corp. He has served as the City Editor of the Calgary Sun and has covered Alberta news for nearly 40 years. dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com

1. Steven Ruthven

May 11, 2021 at 1:21 am

Comment by BARON NOT BARON on May 7, 2021 at 12:10 am

I believe in the Maverick Party & the Wildrose Independence Party. I am a member of both. Former UPC & Former Conservative Party of Canada (Bye).

What you are failing to grasp, concerning the Maverick Party is that their mission statement includes Western Canada as an independent nation. The Wildrose Alberta Independence Party might get Alberta to independence before the rest of Western Canada, but it is not going to happen over night. I hope the Yukon & Territories come with us.

Trudeau isn’t dancing our tune, but we are going to make him dance ours !!

MAVERICK MISSION STATEMENT
    To achieve greater fairness and self-determination for western Canadians through:

(a) constitutional change, or

(b) the creation of an independent nation

2. secondhandlion@hotmail.com

May 10, 2021 at 8:37 am

Yes Kenney has become the biggest disappointment of them all; he talked a good game but came up short from every angle. As for Maverick, they R federal party and altho they will never form govt, like the Bloc they can effect changes to our benefit, so your vote is not wasted.BUT we need to spend all our efforts on separation; that is Alberta’s only hope! Get out and volinteer donate time and money to WIPA. Lets get’er done!

3. Cytotoxic

May 9, 2021 at 10:23 am

Modry is a know-nothing nutcase and ‘I talk to nurses’ isn’t a serious point. This is another rebel without a brain ie your typical COVID ‘skeptic’.

4. Mario Trono

May 8, 2021 at 11:22 am

Disappointing.

Quitting because of lies like the leadership vote thing makes sense.

Quitting because of her upset over lockdowns is another issue altogether..

Lockdowns have helped enormously, the numbers would be worse without them. Parts of the world that did them–along with strict compliance with masking and social distancing–are opening back up now.

The numbers are high because of non-compliance with masking and social distancing advice. The grandfather she mentioned who’s operation was postponed–that’s not because of lockdowns or Kenney but an overburdened health system struggling under high COVID numbers due to non-compliance with masking and social distancing measures.

Besides, Kenney (I’m not a fan) didn’t condemn right-wing people generally. He condemned only the conspiracy theorists on the right, as we all should. These videos online suggesting COVID is a secret weapon or part of a Communist plot are insane.

5. Ian

May 7, 2021 at 4:56 pm

How to read western standard fee, if I don’t have money?
    Thanks

6. Janis Abel

May 7, 2021 at 10:43 am

It is so good to see someone within the party with the moral conviction to stand even if it means the loss of her job. Let’s hope this is the first of many.

7. How the west was won!

May 7, 2021 at 7:22 am

Westofsask I sure hope so! I think it took a lot for her to leave!
    We all need to get involved and start phoning and emailing all mls’s to end this crap.

8. Baron Not Baron

May 7, 2021 at 12:10 am

Kelly Carter,

I am a former Kenney “base” that he now dislikes. I hate him, too. I voted for him, perhaps like yourself. O’Toole to me means just another.. tool – for others to use. So no, I do not believe that the UCP is legit anymore. You know, I personally had a discussion with Peter Downing, over a large coffee, about WEXIT of Alberta and the West and what it is all about – when he started to rally the WXIT in Alberta. No problem there, all fine with me. I must say that when I see “federal” I have to turn my back on it. If you haven’t learned yet that the biggest fish will devour the small one, then perhaps it is the time to do so. I believe this Wexit (if it is still real) idea will take time, which we can’t indulge, since we don’t have it. I also believe that money is the devil’s eye when it is about politicians. The people are weak and corruptible. They rarely walk the talk. Rarely. The problem that I sense in Maverick is that it can influence the people to drop the enthusiasm of becoming FREE. I think this Maverick is a distraction from Alberta’s autonomy. There are Albertans who get drunk with cold water by being sentimental about staying in Canada – and Maverick is like a promise of that, hence Albertans can derail from a wonderful goal (Wipa)- a place of their own.
    Kelly, I come from a very restricted and centralized power regime type of state. I want that all my fellow Albertans to experience nothing about it. I want Alberta to be independent from any foreign anything and that is to ignore outside “help” and follow its own gut, if I can say it.. A few of us really think of the people and what it is best for Alberta.
    If your choice is “Maverick”, and that only then you might only hope that some day..something good might happen. Might..
    In our judgement we all think we are right. I am afraid that most of Canadians, so Albertans in this case, are asleep, clueless and distracted from a well elaborated and complicated chess game. Most of you called all of this conspiracy theories, a year ago. Now you are starting to see. I tell you this: it is not over, nor will be soon. So the move towards independence must use all of its might, all the votes possible, so the big fish would not swallow us.
    It is good that you don’t believe anymore in UCP. It is communist.

9. Gillian Archibald

May 6, 2021 at 11:13 pm

This lady has more integrity thant most of the politicians in Canada. Thank you for speaking up, you have just confirmed what most of us suspected. I hope she will sleeps well tonight,she informed a lot of people of the truth with her actions. Well done Cathy Smith.

10. Kelly Carter

May 6, 2021 at 11:03 pm

Baron not Baron,
    Wild rose independance party is a Provincial party. Maverick is a a Federal one. They don’t need to come together, and the two will actually complement each other nicely, unless you happen to think O’Toole has a shot in hell of getting into the PMO as a “conservative”.

11. Baron Not Baron

May 6, 2021 at 10:37 pm

Cathy,
    I believe you should give the benefit of the doubt to the Wildrose Independence Party of Alberta. I will. What do you have to gain? Please read their Alberta Constitution.
    For me, this other party -the Maverick party – is something like another massage to a wooden leg. It pretends we will have representation in Ottawa. It really smells from a mile. Representation? I believe it is another federal control of vote funnelling with zero different results, just like every time – the feds only gain time every time, while Albertans get the same.. every time – I mean the same life, on the same plantation.
    WIPA is apparently the only good chance for Albertans. Nonetheless, I wish that all these “rogue” parties would come together under WIPA and make that quantum leap for Alberta.. and finally to be us who benefit after our own efforts, here in Alberta. I wish you good luck!

12. Steven Ruthven

May 6, 2021 at 9:54 pm

People!! We need to start posting pictures of large department big box stores when they violate COVID-19 guidelines to Social Media. Maybe the Western Standard can setup a space for that to happen. Name of store, date, & time. Especially in the large cities. Then see what our AHS Goddess proclaims.

After reading about what Cathy Smith said in the article on the Western Standard. I have no confidence that Premier Kenney or Dr. Hinshaw are being truthful with the public. I very much doubt their statistical data. AHS & the Kenney Gov are not providing proper statistical data to the Courts or us to prove the necessity for this harsh of a lockdown. True??

What is despicable to me now is, the RCMP & other police forces are being asked to enforce Hinshaw’s & Kenney’s edicts & court actions, but are Kenney’s & Hinshaw lying to obtain these court actions while manipulating the stats. I say Trust but Verify to the police. The police by law have to up hold the law & court actions. However, it is also the responsibility of the police to ensure their actions are legal in accordance with the Constitution & Canada’s Bill of Rights.

Premier Kenney & Dr. Hinshaw need to be held accountable in a public enquiry where all the evidence is brought out & publicly exposed for all to see.

Let’s see them squirm then.

13. Mars Hill

May 6, 2021 at 7:39 pm

From the get go I in the back of my mind I thought Kenney was a tad ‘greasy’, now I know why that thought was there. The truth will come out and there will be a story on Canadian ‘politicians’ and ‘bureaucrats’…lawsuits if not tribunals as well.

14. mppower@telus.net

May 6, 2021 at 7:34 pm

Anyone notice a parallel, Kenney with Doug Ford? Ford started out using the notwithstanding clause, full of bluster and aggression. Kenney started out by promising to shut down gas to BC unless TM. Then they both dried up. So many promises made so few kept. Tried to give Kenney the benefit of the doubt during this pandemic, but alas, that is at an end. Jailing a pastor, allowing Trudeau to designate internment camps in Alberta, lockdowns, etc. Then his overall lack of leadership against Trudeau, no leverage to speak of when he could have done so much, like collect our own taxes, CPP, fair panel and he has ignored it all. I fear it is not looking good for Alberta come election time. We could end up with NDP, if the vote splits. With Kenney acting like he is, that is a distinct possibility.

15. mm

Lee Harding

May 6, 2021 at 6:35 pm

And this is why I read the Western Standard!

16. John Lankers

May 6, 2021 at 6:32 pm

45 years! This lady has seen it all and Jason Kenney is the absolute worst, worse than Getty and Redfraud. We can only hope that her resignation gets the ball rolling but I’m not holding my breath.

17. Bruce Hay

May 6, 2021 at 4:33 pm

Damn straight. Please go to Wildrose. Best option nowKenny has caved in to BS.

18. Liliana Brown

May 6, 2021 at 4:31 pm

Thank you for being a brave and courageous woman of integrity- willing to sacrifice your job for the sake of truth. I can only hoe that more people will step out and be as bold because it’s becoming more clear that us citizens have zero power to get them to listen anymore.

19. Dennis Richter

May 6, 2021 at 4:27 pm

Good for you Cathy for standing up to the lies. I’m sure leaving was not easy for you but rest assured I’m pretty sure you can find a home with the Wildrose Independance Party of Alberta where your talents and person will be appreciated. We will be there in 2023.

20. Steven Ruthven

May 6, 2021 at 4:17 pm

God help Premier Kenney if he tries to character assassinate this good lady !!

1976 as a Conservative. Kenney should be listening to people Cathy Smith’s wisdom.

Kicking myself for not voting for Brian Jean. Premier Kenney has turned on Albertans, but was he ever here for us in the first place?

21. westofsask@hotmail.com

May 6, 2021 at 4:02 pm

This is a woman with integrity. I hope she inspires others to come forward.

News

SLOBODIAN: First you lose your guns, then your freedoms

Armed citizens are a deterrent to politicians and bureaucrats hankering to subdue and control the masses, stripping them of basic freedoms.

The day the Aussies gave up their guns triggered the beginning of the end of their liberty.

Now the land Down Under is a full-blown police state. Proud, strong, free, productive Australia is gone.

This harsh, bitter transformation should be a warning to nations still clinging to the God, guns, and freedoms the hard-core left deeply despises.

Aussies protesting totalitarian COVID-19 restrictions, the harshest in the free world, are fighting a seemingly hopeless battle for basic rights and freedoms by pelting rocks, bottles, golf balls, and batteries against heavily armed riot police.

It was a sad day in Melbourne Wednesday when police were ordered to fire rubber bullets into a crowd of 400 protesters, then arrested about 200 who face hefty $5,000 US fines.

These are regular law-abiding citizens, including tradesmen protesting a two-week closure of building sites, mandatory vaccinations, stay-at-home orders, and a succession of lockdowns.

They’re tired of being told they can’t go outside, can’t go to church, can’t travel far from home.

Authorities claimed it wasn’t so much ordinary working people in the crowd police fired upon, but extremist and far-right groups infiltrating the protests. That’s often a tired lie, an excuse used to justify overstepping boundaries when annihilating freedom.

The Australian government, with an insatiable hunger for control and compliance, is planning to soon implement an app using facial recognition software to track movements and location. Aussies will be randomly texted, having 15 minutes to take a photo in their location. If they don’t comply, police will show up.

The riots are expected to continue.

This is by no means an attempt to suggest people should arm themselves against police who are obliged to follow orders and face the violent consequences of bad political decisions while the decision-makers safely hide behind armed guards.

Law-abiding gun owners aren’t the problem. Criminals with easy access to weapons are.

Law-abiding gun ownership is a safeguard that must be protected at all costs.

In Australia gun confiscation disguised as a buyback program was rushed through Parliament in 1996 after a nut job massacred 35 people with a semi-automatic rifle. Gun crimes have steadily escalated since.

But still, only sportsmen, Roo Shooters, ranchers, and law enforcement officials are allowed to own guns.

Owning a weapon for self-defense is a criminal offence in Australia.

We don’t see the devastation and despair Australia is facing unfolding in places like Texas where gun laws are relaxed.

Bad guys tend to behave better if they don’t know if someone is packing.

In Texas, even grandma carries a handgun in a holder on her hip or shoulder or anywhere she likes, because the law says she can.

In fact, as of September 1 this year Texas law requiring people to have a license to carry a handgun — open or concealed — was removed.

Texans over the age of 21 with no criminal record or mental health issues may carry to protect themselves in most public places, excluding schools, hospitals, amusement parks, if the gun is holstered.

Of course, Republican Gov. Greg Abbott, an advocate of freedom and liberty, would never unleash law enforcement on law-abiding Texans.

But politicians come and go. Laws are the constant safeguard unless citizens willingly forsake them to left-wing loons.

Aussies bought the lie. And they are paying a horrific price.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is lying to Canadians.

His ban on 1,500 types of so-called assault-style firearms in May 2020 didn’t satisfy him.

He promised, if re-elected, to crack down on legal firearms owners in a number of ways including restricting high-capacity magazines to holding no more than five rounds, bribe provinces to implement a ban on handguns, and introduce Red Flag laws which would confiscate guns if someone thinks someone is a threat, or maybe just wants to be nasty.

Trudeau wants to toughen laws on banned assault weapons and make it mandatory for owners to either sell the firearm to the government for destruction or have it rendered permanently inoperable.

So, a buyback program. That sure did Australians a lot of good.

Will Canadians relinquish this one guarantee of civil liberties and place our safety in the hands of untrustworthy politicians and bureaucrats?

The choice is simple. What will it be Australia or Texas? Or is it the beginning of the end of liberty for Canada too?

Slobodian is the Senior Manitoba Columnist for the Western Standard
lslobodian@westernstandardonline.com

News

Spurious George – police put winning Liberal Chahal under investigation for being a porch pirate

Video from a doorbell cam shows Chahal appearing to pick up a campaign postcard and remove it from a front porch.

Victorious Liberal Calgary-Skyview candidate George Chahal is under investigation by the Calgary Police Service’s anti-corruption unit after a surveillance video emerged of him pilfering an opponent’s election literature from a mailbox.

Police said someone filed a complaint on Thursday and it’s now under investigation.

source: @kirklubimov twitter

He wasn’t very disguised in his efforts, wearing a jersey with his name on the back.

“The report has been directed to our anti-corruption unit that handles investigations of a sensitive nature or involving a public official. We are in the very early stages of the investigation and at this point, we have not yet determined if the investigation will remain with CPS or be transitioned to another investigative body, such as Elections Canada,” CPS said in a statement.

Chahal’s campaign manager, Randall Zalazar, admitted Chahal did it, but had a good reason.

“While dropping off polling info flyers prior to polls opening on Election Day, George removed a piece of campaign literature that identified an incorrect polling location for the person residing at the address,” he said in an e-mail to CTV News.

“All through election day, campaign volunteers found incorrectly labeled materials across the eastern side of the riding. Our campaign contacted Elections Canada and advised them of the issue.”

Chahal was the only Liberal to win in Calgary, picking up the victory by 3,000 votes.

News

UCP MLA Stephan calls for early leadership review of Kenney

“The leadership review process supports principles of accountability and good governance and should occur sooner than later,” said Stephan.

Jason Stephan, UCP MLA for Red Deer South, is calling for a leadership review of Premier Jason Kenney “sooner than later.”

Stephan made the demand in an open letter to his constituents.

“On July 1st, the Premier said that we were open for good. I took him at his word,” said Stephan.

“Some businesses and other organizations find themselves now subject to restrictions that threaten their ability to survive unless they participate in a ‘Restriction Exemption Program,’ This is a vaccine passport program – in general, to participate, these organizations can only allow vaccinated individuals into their premises. This divides Albertans. The premier said there would be no COVID vaccine passports.”

Stephan made it clear he was vaccinated against COVID-19. but added the decision has to be a personal one.

“Vaccine passports use coercion to indirectly do what is illegal to do directly — to compel vaccination. Seeking to compel others against their wills produces resentment. Albertans should choose to take COVID vaccines on their merits, believing they are safe and effective, not because of lotteries or cash payments or intense coercion with vaccine passports or under threats of losing livelihoods or educations,” Stephan said.

“Individuals and families are losing trust. Coercion destroys, not builds, trust. Complete and transparent information, without bias, is the best way to allow Albertans to make the best decisions for themselves and their families on the merits of COVID vaccines.

“Our friends, family members or neighbors who do not share our opinions are not evil or selfish. The truth about those friends, family members or neighbors is more complex, more nuanced, each of them possessing unique contexts and circumstances, all of which can be valued and respected,” Stephan said.

“Many constituents are upset. Many are asking for the Premier to resign. The Constitution of the United Conservative Party (UCP) does not include a procedure for caucus MLAs to remove the leader of the party.”

A leadership review of Kenney had been set for the fall of 2022, but after a UCP caucus meeting this week, the date was moved to the spring.

Dozens of constituency associations have also demanded an early leadership review.

“In the interim period, the focus of government needs to be on COVID.

“Alberta is budgeted to spend $23 billion on health, among the highest per capita in Canada, and over 40% of the province’s operating budget. Why, with this massive amount of money, has AHS only produced between 300 and 400 (currently, the numbers are everchanging), working ICU beds for a population of over 4.4 million, on a per capita basis less than half the worst of the lowest of the any of the US states?

“Given the widespread, profound impact of COVID restrictions on Albertans, I have asked, and continue to ask, for a comprehensive public inquiry, including a full cost analysis of COVID restrictions. The more truth, the better.”