News

EXCLUSIVE: UCP Secretary quits over ‘lies’

Smith has worked with conservative parties since 1976.

The former secretary of Alberta’s United Conservative Party (UCP) says she decided to resign from the board because she “was tired of all the lies.”

In an exclusive interview with the Western Standard, Cathy Smith said she handed in her notice on April 6, after a string of statements and actions about the COVID-19 pandemic by Premier Jason Kenney.

Smith said the beginning of the end started when Kenney held a press conference over COVID-19 and warned of a pandemic so extreme there would be “body bags coming out of McMahon Stadium.”

“I said to myself ‘Are you kidding me’. There will never be body bags coming out of McMahon Stadium,” said Smith.

“I know nurses. Nurses at the time told me there was nothing going on in their hospitals.”

Smith said Kenney then started to condemn the “right-wing, the conspiracy theorists.”

“I said wait a minute, I’m right-wing. And then the way we treated Dr. (Dennis) Modry. I thought this wasn’t the right way to represent our 40,000 members,” she said.

Kenney and Modry have been in a battle of letters. Modry published an open letter to the premier on the Western Standard saying lockdowns don’t work. The letter went viral and has been viewed hundreds of thousands of time. It took Kenney three months to reply with his own letter.

As party secretary, Smith dealt with more than 100 e-mails, either from party members or people who voted for the UCP, about how the lockdowns were affecting their lives.

“We had an e-mail from a family whose grandfather died because his heart operation had been postponed. I e-mailed everyone back. I explained I was not writing as a representative of the party. I told them I didn’t agree with what the party was doing,” Smith said.

Smith said she was aware of a group of men in Medicine Hat who went to high school together – 20 of whom have committed suicide since the pandemic started.

“I told everyone to get involved at the (constituency association) level if they really want to make change,” Smith said.

She said the last straw for her was when Kenney appeared on talk show host Danielle Smith’s last show on QR77 and said he wasn’t aware the party board had approved a leadership vote in 2022, just six months before the next election.

“I was just tired of all the lies, Kenney pretended he didn’t know about the leadership vote. I thought ‘This is not the way — where’s the trust’,” Smith said.

“I was tired of all the lockdowns (without proof they work). But I said to myself, I will never quit, never, never, never.”

Finally, after talking to several other board members, Smith handed in her notice.

Smith has worked with conservative parties since 1976. As to where she will vote in the next election: “I’m still waiting.”

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard and the Vice-President: News Division of Western Standard New Media Corp. He has served as the City Editor of the Calgary Sun and has covered Alberta news for nearly 40 years. dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com

1. Steven Ruthven

May 11, 2021 at 1:21 am

Comment by BARON NOT BARON on May 7, 2021 at 12:10 am

I believe in the Maverick Party & the Wildrose Independence Party. I am a member of both. Former UPC & Former Conservative Party of Canada (Bye).

What you are failing to grasp, concerning the Maverick Party is that their mission statement includes Western Canada as an independent nation. The Wildrose Alberta Independence Party might get Alberta to independence before the rest of Western Canada, but it is not going to happen over night. I hope the Yukon & Territories come with us.

Trudeau isn’t dancing our tune, but we are going to make him dance ours !!

MAVERICK MISSION STATEMENT
    To achieve greater fairness and self-determination for western Canadians through:

(a) constitutional change, or

(b) the creation of an independent nation

2. secondhandlion@hotmail.com

May 10, 2021 at 8:37 am

Yes Kenney has become the biggest disappointment of them all; he talked a good game but came up short from every angle. As for Maverick, they R federal party and altho they will never form govt, like the Bloc they can effect changes to our benefit, so your vote is not wasted.BUT we need to spend all our efforts on separation; that is Alberta’s only hope! Get out and volinteer donate time and money to WIPA. Lets get’er done!

3. Cytotoxic

May 9, 2021 at 10:23 am

Modry is a know-nothing nutcase and ‘I talk to nurses’ isn’t a serious point. This is another rebel without a brain ie your typical COVID ‘skeptic’.

4. Mario Trono

May 8, 2021 at 11:22 am

Disappointing.

Quitting because of lies like the leadership vote thing makes sense.

Quitting because of her upset over lockdowns is another issue altogether..

Lockdowns have helped enormously, the numbers would be worse without them. Parts of the world that did them–along with strict compliance with masking and social distancing–are opening back up now.

The numbers are high because of non-compliance with masking and social distancing advice. The grandfather she mentioned who’s operation was postponed–that’s not because of lockdowns or Kenney but an overburdened health system struggling under high COVID numbers due to non-compliance with masking and social distancing measures.

Besides, Kenney (I’m not a fan) didn’t condemn right-wing people generally. He condemned only the conspiracy theorists on the right, as we all should. These videos online suggesting COVID is a secret weapon or part of a Communist plot are insane.

5. Ian

May 7, 2021 at 4:56 pm

How to read western standard fee, if I don’t have money?
    Thanks

6. Janis Abel

May 7, 2021 at 10:43 am

It is so good to see someone within the party with the moral conviction to stand even if it means the loss of her job. Let’s hope this is the first of many.

7. How the west was won!

May 7, 2021 at 7:22 am

Westofsask I sure hope so! I think it took a lot for her to leave!
    We all need to get involved and start phoning and emailing all mls’s to end this crap.

8. Baron Not Baron

May 7, 2021 at 12:10 am

Kelly Carter,

I am a former Kenney “base” that he now dislikes. I hate him, too. I voted for him, perhaps like yourself. O’Toole to me means just another.. tool – for others to use. So no, I do not believe that the UCP is legit anymore. You know, I personally had a discussion with Peter Downing, over a large coffee, about WEXIT of Alberta and the West and what it is all about – when he started to rally the WXIT in Alberta. No problem there, all fine with me. I must say that when I see “federal” I have to turn my back on it. If you haven’t learned yet that the biggest fish will devour the small one, then perhaps it is the time to do so. I believe this Wexit (if it is still real) idea will take time, which we can’t indulge, since we don’t have it. I also believe that money is the devil’s eye when it is about politicians. The people are weak and corruptible. They rarely walk the talk. Rarely. The problem that I sense in Maverick is that it can influence the people to drop the enthusiasm of becoming FREE. I think this Maverick is a distraction from Alberta’s autonomy. There are Albertans who get drunk with cold water by being sentimental about staying in Canada – and Maverick is like a promise of that, hence Albertans can derail from a wonderful goal (Wipa)- a place of their own.
    Kelly, I come from a very restricted and centralized power regime type of state. I want that all my fellow Albertans to experience nothing about it. I want Alberta to be independent from any foreign anything and that is to ignore outside “help” and follow its own gut, if I can say it.. A few of us really think of the people and what it is best for Alberta.
    If your choice is “Maverick”, and that only then you might only hope that some day..something good might happen. Might..
    In our judgement we all think we are right. I am afraid that most of Canadians, so Albertans in this case, are asleep, clueless and distracted from a well elaborated and complicated chess game. Most of you called all of this conspiracy theories, a year ago. Now you are starting to see. I tell you this: it is not over, nor will be soon. So the move towards independence must use all of its might, all the votes possible, so the big fish would not swallow us.
    It is good that you don’t believe anymore in UCP. It is communist.

9. Gillian Archibald

May 6, 2021 at 11:13 pm

This lady has more integrity thant most of the politicians in Canada. Thank you for speaking up, you have just confirmed what most of us suspected. I hope she will sleeps well tonight,she informed a lot of people of the truth with her actions. Well done Cathy Smith.

10. Kelly Carter

May 6, 2021 at 11:03 pm

Baron not Baron,
    Wild rose independance party is a Provincial party. Maverick is a a Federal one. They don’t need to come together, and the two will actually complement each other nicely, unless you happen to think O’Toole has a shot in hell of getting into the PMO as a “conservative”.

11. Baron Not Baron

May 6, 2021 at 10:37 pm

Cathy,
    I believe you should give the benefit of the doubt to the Wildrose Independence Party of Alberta. I will. What do you have to gain? Please read their Alberta Constitution.
    For me, this other party -the Maverick party – is something like another massage to a wooden leg. It pretends we will have representation in Ottawa. It really smells from a mile. Representation? I believe it is another federal control of vote funnelling with zero different results, just like every time – the feds only gain time every time, while Albertans get the same.. every time – I mean the same life, on the same plantation.
    WIPA is apparently the only good chance for Albertans. Nonetheless, I wish that all these “rogue” parties would come together under WIPA and make that quantum leap for Alberta.. and finally to be us who benefit after our own efforts, here in Alberta. I wish you good luck!

12. Steven Ruthven

May 6, 2021 at 9:54 pm

People!! We need to start posting pictures of large department big box stores when they violate COVID-19 guidelines to Social Media. Maybe the Western Standard can setup a space for that to happen. Name of store, date, & time. Especially in the large cities. Then see what our AHS Goddess proclaims.

After reading about what Cathy Smith said in the article on the Western Standard. I have no confidence that Premier Kenney or Dr. Hinshaw are being truthful with the public. I very much doubt their statistical data. AHS & the Kenney Gov are not providing proper statistical data to the Courts or us to prove the necessity for this harsh of a lockdown. True??

What is despicable to me now is, the RCMP & other police forces are being asked to enforce Hinshaw’s & Kenney’s edicts & court actions, but are Kenney’s & Hinshaw lying to obtain these court actions while manipulating the stats. I say Trust but Verify to the police. The police by law have to up hold the law & court actions. However, it is also the responsibility of the police to ensure their actions are legal in accordance with the Constitution & Canada’s Bill of Rights.

Premier Kenney & Dr. Hinshaw need to be held accountable in a public enquiry where all the evidence is brought out & publicly exposed for all to see.

Let’s see them squirm then.

13. Mars Hill

May 6, 2021 at 7:39 pm

From the get go I in the back of my mind I thought Kenney was a tad ‘greasy’, now I know why that thought was there. The truth will come out and there will be a story on Canadian ‘politicians’ and ‘bureaucrats’…lawsuits if not tribunals as well.

14. mppower@telus.net

May 6, 2021 at 7:34 pm

Anyone notice a parallel, Kenney with Doug Ford? Ford started out using the notwithstanding clause, full of bluster and aggression. Kenney started out by promising to shut down gas to BC unless TM. Then they both dried up. So many promises made so few kept. Tried to give Kenney the benefit of the doubt during this pandemic, but alas, that is at an end. Jailing a pastor, allowing Trudeau to designate internment camps in Alberta, lockdowns, etc. Then his overall lack of leadership against Trudeau, no leverage to speak of when he could have done so much, like collect our own taxes, CPP, fair panel and he has ignored it all. I fear it is not looking good for Alberta come election time. We could end up with NDP, if the vote splits. With Kenney acting like he is, that is a distinct possibility.

15. mm

Lee Harding

May 6, 2021 at 6:35 pm

And this is why I read the Western Standard!

16. John Lankers

May 6, 2021 at 6:32 pm

45 years! This lady has seen it all and Jason Kenney is the absolute worst, worse than Getty and Redfraud. We can only hope that her resignation gets the ball rolling but I’m not holding my breath.

17. Bruce Hay

May 6, 2021 at 4:33 pm

Damn straight. Please go to Wildrose. Best option nowKenny has caved in to BS.

18. Liliana Brown

May 6, 2021 at 4:31 pm

Thank you for being a brave and courageous woman of integrity- willing to sacrifice your job for the sake of truth. I can only hoe that more people will step out and be as bold because it’s becoming more clear that us citizens have zero power to get them to listen anymore.

19. Dennis Richter

May 6, 2021 at 4:27 pm

Good for you Cathy for standing up to the lies. I’m sure leaving was not easy for you but rest assured I’m pretty sure you can find a home with the Wildrose Independance Party of Alberta where your talents and person will be appreciated. We will be there in 2023.

20. Steven Ruthven

May 6, 2021 at 4:17 pm

God help Premier Kenney if he tries to character assassinate this good lady !!

1976 as a Conservative. Kenney should be listening to people Cathy Smith’s wisdom.

Kicking myself for not voting for Brian Jean. Premier Kenney has turned on Albertans, but was he ever here for us in the first place?

21. westofsask@hotmail.com

May 6, 2021 at 4:02 pm

This is a woman with integrity. I hope she inspires others to come forward.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Edmonton anchor fuming after pride flag ripped down

Karstens-Smith said she has called police and urged people to share her post so the culprit can be found.

An Edmonton news anchor is furious after a Pride flag was ripped down from its pole outside her home.

“I am LIVID right now,” tweeted Breanna Karstens-Smith, a Global anchor.

Karstens-Smith

“This just happened at my house. Someone came and tore down our Pride flag. No one touched it for a year when it was a Canada flag but now that it’s for pride this happens.

“THIS IS WHY WE NEED PRIDE MONTH.”

Pride flag torn down

“And they are greatly mistaken if they think we’re not putting another one up. Ordering a new flag pole now. Flag is thankfully fine but we got it from @thequiltbagyeg and would love to see more in our city,” she tweeted.

“Our flag is back up and our house feels right again. Thank you for the kind messages of support. The best part is hearing from people now putting up their own flags. I’d love to see photos of them. Happy Pride.”

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

News

Regina chamber CEO calls COVID-19 protesters ‘narrow, dimwitted, racist’

“I personally do not support the anti-mask movement at all. I find their views narrow, dimwitted, racist and teetering on the edge of outright lunacy,” said John Hopkins.

Regina Chamber of Commerce CEO John Hopkins denounced COVID-19 protesters and their message in an email sent to the organization’s members.

“The anti-mask group in Regina are a very small but loud group. They have been protesting for months. They believe that they have a right to not wear a mask,” Hopkins wrote.

“Some are of the view that there are tracking devices in the masks and still others believe that this is a global conspiracy.

“…the anti-maskers have crossed the line. They have been harassing business owners, people on the street and now their latest target, kids at schools. In my opinion targeting kids is too far, way too far.

“I personally do not support the anti-mask movement at all. I find their views narrow, dimwitted, racist and teetering on the edge of outright lunacy. They certainly have the right to say what they want but the same rights and privileges extend to the rest of us….

“Racism is a vicious challenge that we need to address as a country, province and community. The time has come to act and stand up.”

The Western Standard asked Hopkins what harassment had occurred in Regina.

“There’s a candy shop on 13th Avenue,” Hopkins said.

“The business owner asked them to put on a mask and they refused and business owner refused to serve them.”

The incident from May 26 was watched almost 30,000 times on a YouTube video. The would-be customers were standing outside on the deck of the business across from the serving window.

“There has been some altercations between anti maskers and other people, actually on the street, I believe on Albert Street,” Hopkins said.

“And throughout the course of the last 14 months on, generally speaking, it’s just been people on the side of the street.”

Hopkins’ accusation of racism concerned comments made about Saskatchewan’s Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Saqib Shahab.

“There were some very troubling remarks about Dr. Shahab that the premier addressed. We were quite concerned about that… as well as other sort of comments on telling people to go home and that type of thing on some of the signs.”

At a December 14 press conference, Premier Moe said the “end was in sight” for COVID-19 restrictions, but he was “embarassed” at “racist”,”foolish”, and “idiotic” comments made by a protester at the legislature. In a video posted days before, a man tried to say Shahab’s name a few times unsuccessfully before commenting, “can’t get these foreigners’ names right.”

Regarding students, Hopkins said, “I’ve heard that they were at a school and that they were talking to kids at a school this past week….and parking in the school parking lot….I just think going to the school is a bit much.”

Hopkins said masks help.

“It blows my mind that somehow when the Chief Medical Officer – not only one, but many across the country, and in fact, globally – are saying, wear a mask, I think it’s pretty straightforward wearing a mask is one of the things that can help people stay safe…Even though we’re making headway against the virus, it’s still out there that masks aren’t doing anything. And I find it just bizarre.”

The email was posted on the Freedom Alliance Facebook page by Kevin Volk.

“Check out this crap that was sent to me,” Volk wrote, urging people to phone the chamber to express their displeasure.

Volk told the Western Standard he had a cleaning business and had been a chamber member “for well over ten years.”

“This is just another slap in the face for business owners. The chamber has been pushing for businesses to remain closed even tho they are supposed to help businesses. They have done absolutely nothing for small businesses owners,” he said.

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

News

Canadians hit with millions of dollars of COVID fines

Cabinet tabled in the Commons detailed enforcement actions under the Quarantine Act.

The feds have issued tickets for close to $3 million for COVID-19 scofflaws who have refused to quarantine at hotels after arriving back in the country, says Blacklock’s Reporter.

Other tickets handed out include fines for fraudulent COVID-19 test results.

Cabinet tabled in the Commons detailed enforcement actions under the Quarantine Act.

“I think it is important that we adhere to the public health advice that we are all getting, that we do our part as Canadians to try and protect our health care system,” Health Minister Patricia Hajdu earlier told reporters.

Records show a total 988 air passengers were each ticketed $3,000 for “refusing to go to government-approved accommodation” on arrival in Canada. The majority of tickets, 621, were issued at Toronto’s Pearson International Airport followed by Vancouver (194 tickets) and Montréal (173).

Cabinet on January 7 passed an order requiring all air travelers to prove they were COVID-19-free with tests taken a maximum 72 hours prior to arrival. An identical order for cross-border drivers was invoked February 22.

The Canada Border Services Agency found 62 travelers with fake tests, said the report, and four were each ticketed $3,000.

Another 9,003 travelers were cited for not having proof of a valid test, including 4,583 drivers and 4,420 air passengers.

“This would include individuals who did not test at all, who were in possession of tests outside the required 72-hour time frame, tests that did not originate from the required country of origin, tests that are suspected fraudulent and other reasons,” wrote staff.

Public Safety Minister Bill Blair defended the enforcement.

“Cancel your vacation plans,” Blair told reporters February 12.

“Stay home. Respect the rules. We believe that through these effective measures, appropriate screening and the testing measures in particular that we have put in place coupled with robust and enforced quarantine orders, it is the best way to prevent variants from spreading across our borders into Canada.”

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard