fbpx
Connect with us

News

Calgary Councillor Farrell suggests homicide charges for lockdown breakers

Farrell’s council colleague Evan Woolley is also preparing a motion for to increase the penalty for not wearing a mask to $500.

mm

Published

on

Calgary City Councillor Druh Farrell suggested to a council emergency committee meeting on Monday night that if people hold a party against lockdown orders and a guest contracts COVID-19 and dies, the host should be charged with manslaughter.

Farrell posed the idea as a question to Calgary Police Services Chief Mark Neufeld.

“The assumption coming out of Osgoode Hall [a law school] is people who are holding parties where, somebody dies of COVID, leading to a COVID death, could be charged with manslaughter. Is that something that we should be talking about?” said Farrell

“That’s probably the $50,000 dollar question isn’t it?” responded Neufeld, who went on to say that manslaughter charges for breaking provincial health orders or lockdowns were not in keeping with the constitution and criminal code.

The maximum penalty for manslaughter is imprisonment for life.

At the same meeting, Councillor Evan Woolley said he will bring a motion for the full council to debate next week to increase the penalty for not wearing a COVID-19 mask to $500. The current fine is $100.

Calgary Emergency Management Agency Chief Sue Henry also told councillors 75% of citizens would need to be vaccinated, for life in the city to return to normal, said sources.

Mayor Naheed Nenshi told the meeting a “significant announcement on enforcement” would be coming Tuesday, likely referring to Premier Jason Kenney’s statement earlier in the day he would bring in further COVID restrictions.

The push by Farrell for manslaughter charges against Calgarians not complying with provincial and municipal lockdown orders comes as Alberta’s UCP government clamps down further.

“These are people that simply don’t care about COVID,” said Kenney, adding a weekend rodeo crowd believed COVID-19 was a “conspiracy or hoax.

“Too many Albertans are ignoring the rules in place.

“(They have) forced me to take further steps. Stronger health measures will be announced tomorrow.”

He did not elaborate on what the further restrictions may contain. Kenney said the COVID-19 cabinet would be meeting Tuesday morning and he would announce the measure in the afternoon.

UCP Health Minister Tyler Shandro also slammed the rodeo in Bowden as “disturbing”.

“Like so many Albertans, I am deeply frustrated with the rodeo held this weekend near Bowden, in violation of #COVID19AB health restrictions in place,” Shandro tweeted.

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard and the Vice-President: News Division of Western Standard New Media Corp. He has served as the City Editor of the Calgary Sun and has covered Alberta news for nearly 40 years. dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com

Continue Reading
15 Comments

15 Comments

  1. Michael Mieto

    May 8, 2021 at 6:33 pm

    This lady is nuts along with the rest of our political leaders who just fabricate numbers every day with false test results to fear the population. They failed us in the last year plus with super incompetent decisions resulting in 10x the deaths this covid has. As others have said maybe look in the mirror before opening your mouth. Your not as smart as you think you are.

  2. Chris

    May 5, 2021 at 9:05 am

    What a lunatic!

    Under her idea Trudeau, his minions and supporters should all be charged with homicide as they let the virus and every variant, into this country!

    Every family that has lost a loved one due to cancelled surgeries, delayed or cancelled diagnostic appointments, suicides and other negative events related to lockdowns and restrictions should then be able to sue those responsible for the decisions.

    … same with those making decisions with no facts or studies behind them, all should be sued.

  3. Jack Masterman

    May 5, 2021 at 7:48 am

    If people outside, where it has not been proven there is COVID transmission, should be charged with manslaughter, what about our incompetent government and health ministries? Should Trudeau, Tam, Hajdu and the heads of the provincial health departments be charged with manslaughter? Their decisions have caused the death of hundreds of people. Border not closed even after the military had advised Trudeau of a major virus issue in China, seniors homes open to virus transmissions and deaths. Druh Farrell indicates how unintelligent our elected officials have become.

  4. Baron Not Baron

    May 4, 2021 at 8:23 pm

    Is it feminazism I can see striking through those lenses?

  5. Jim Whitney

    May 4, 2021 at 6:53 pm

    If that would become law then all doctors that perform abortion should be charged with murder, all store owners that sell cigarettes where people die of cancer and all liquor store owners should be charged as well. Why stop there? Lets charge GM, FORD , CHRYSLER and all auto manufacturers with murder because people die while driving. I think we should charge her with STUPIDITY.

  6. Truthmatters

    May 4, 2021 at 5:35 pm

    This is the way it works in a Communist country. The leaders keep making dictatorial rules and the people keep finding ways to ignore them.

  7. Joni Menz

    May 4, 2021 at 10:09 am

    This is the kind of mentality that thinks one can calm the storms and control all risks on earth. This crazy has a god-like ego and that is more dangerous than any earthly risk.

  8. Ethan

    May 4, 2021 at 8:58 am

    Absolute psychopath. This woman has a transgender child and she wants to put YOU in jail.

  9. d.r.cmolloy@gmail.com

    May 4, 2021 at 7:59 am

    Farrel was in the past ferret some common-sense approaches.Looks like she caught the foolish virus. The provincial problems are sentered in a few cities. Why does everyone fall in to that category . Rual folks have to suffer for their city issues. There has never been real bonfire info on masking or social listing but some how they want to make new law.Do what you want in the cities and leave settler in Alberta’s alone.Get your experimental shot and let the cards lay were they may. I for one staying at home will take my chances.

  10. berta baby

    May 4, 2021 at 4:25 am

    when the political class turns into dictatorships and these kind of “ideas” are snow balled in meetings and people act like … hmmm thats a good idea. Man we have a problem.
    What about building new prisons instead of stand alone covid facilities so that we can torcher those who break the health measures act?
    I mean its not even an emeracny any more , people rant dying from this hardly at , since obesity is a leading factor how about those that are 20% over weight get forcefully removed from their homes out of an abundance of caution? ( obviously sarcastic)

    How people trust the government propaganda for vaccines after watching these actors is beyond me. Lie Lie Lie and then trust us on the vaccine.

    No thanks

  11. Mars Hill

    May 3, 2021 at 10:29 pm

    The truth will come out; there will be trials and the law will be applied. Mark my words.

  12. John Harvey

    May 3, 2021 at 10:17 pm

    This is what happens when you have elected officials who have no clue what they are talking about, but think they do, making decisions. This is what happens when you make decisions on feelings and not facts. It is nearly impossible to rationalize with this type of person. You can increase the fine to a million dollars, it will never stick in court as the science clearly shows masks are not effective, actually detrimental. Every province in the country have respiratory specialists who have come out and explained the science, but of course MSM will never report the truth, and governments ignore them as they are afraid to lose their new found power. Frightening times when the woke control the narrative, almost all politicians have zero integrity, and those that do are ridiculed and silenced. It is one thing to lie to the people who elected you, but how do they face their family’s and not feel some kind of guilt. No conscience is the only answer. You can’t serve two masters, and they definitely do not serve the people who elected them.

  13. Tony

    May 3, 2021 at 9:57 pm

    Perhaps the family of a person whose death is related to a delayed medical procedure or late diagnosis due to our government’s craven and feckless policies should have grounds for a civil law suit? How do these insane progessives repeatedly get elected?

  14. Barbara

    May 3, 2021 at 9:42 pm

    They have lost it. They are having a tantrum. And they are retaliating by being vindictive.

  15. Kelly Carter

    May 3, 2021 at 9:28 pm

    It is time they start justifying their rediculous rules and fines with real science, not the computer models. Fact is a study done in Denmark last fall confirmed previous studies and found masks did not prevent the wearer from getting COVID. Other inconvenient facts are the real world data that shows no significant benefit to lock down policies in controling COVID, but much collateral damage that will be affecting future generations economically and mentally. Time to end the BS.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Civil service mag promotes immunization passports

Any mandatory scheme would see Canadians required to carry proof of vaccination to eat at a restaurant, visit a shopping mall or go to a baseball game, said the magazine.

mm

Published

on

A magazine for Canadian public service managers says the country must introduce vaccine passports, says Blacklock’s Reporter.

“The immunity of the population is detrimental for the safe reopening of the economy and various jurisdictions across the world are exploring the idea of immunity certificates as an enabler,” said a commentary in Canadian Government Executive, a periodical published for federal public service managers.

“After a rigorous analysis of the issue of immunity certificates, this article concludes the necessity of immunity certificates in Canada as a key enabler for the safe reopening of the society and economy in a post-Covid world.”

Any mandatory scheme would see Canadians required to carry proof of vaccination to eat at a restaurant, visit a shopping mall or go to a baseball game, said the magazine.

“They can also be used to promote economic activities such as workplace safety, tourism etcetera,” said the periodical.

The magazine acknowledged Canadians were divided on the issue and numerous foreign jurisdictions have banned vaccine passports.

“It is important to note in the United States several states such as Florida, Texas, Arizona etcetera have either banned or prevented the mandatory use,” said the commentary.

Privacy Commissioner Daniel Therrien in a May 19 statement said vaccine passports breached the Privacy Act since they compelled users and non-users alike to disclose personal health information to access public facilities.

“There must be clear legal authority for introducing use of vaccine passports,” said Therrien, adding Parliament would require “a newly enacted public health order or law” before any mandatory scheme could be introduced.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in a January 14 podcast called it a divisive issue.

“I think the indications that the vast majority of Canadians are looking to get vaccinated will get us to a good place without having to take more extreme measures that could have real divisive impacts on community and country,” said Trudeau.

“I think it’s an interesting idea but I think it is also fraught with challenges. We are certainly encouraging and motivating people to get vaccinated as quickly as possible. We always know there are people who won’t get vaccinated, and not necessarily through a personal or political choice.

“There are medical reasons. There are a broad range of reasons why someone might not get vaccinated. I’m worried about creating undesirable effects in our community.”

Federal research shows about 12% of Canadians would refuse a COVID-19 vaccine under any circumstances. A total of 26% said they did not trust the Public Health Agency, according to the Statistics Canada report.

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Continue Reading

News

Canada Post to make bank on lending operations

The union said loans would be issued in a test project at post offices in Halifax and Bridgewater, N.S. and surrounding rural areas, as well as Calgary and Red Deer by year’s end.

mm

Published

on

“A roll of stamps and $30,000 please.”

That will soon be possible as, for the first time in 53 years, Albertans will be able to go to the post office for a loan.

Blacklock’s Reporter said Canada Post on Thursday confirmed outlets in Alberta and Nova Scotia will broker cash loans for the Toronto Dominion Bank.

“The market test goal is to offer the new financial service in over 249 Canada Post locations before the end of 2021,” the Canadian Union of Postal Workers said in a statement.

Post offices would offer Toronto Dominion loans of $1,000 to $30,000 at “competitive rates.”

Post offices currently sell money orders, gift cards and process electronic cash transfers but disbanded deposit-taking postal banks in 1968.

The union said loans would be issued in a test project at post offices in Halifax and Bridgewater, N.S. and surrounding rural areas, as well as Calgary and Red Deer by year’s end.

“CUPW continues to support the creation of an independent postal bank despite our current partnership with Toronto Dominion Bank,” said the union.

“Partnering with a financial institution does not put an end to the goal of an independent postal bank.”

Parliament in an 1867 Postal Act allowed post offices to hold cash deposits and offer cheque-cashing services. Postal banks at their peak in 1908 held the equivalent of a billion dollars on deposit.

A 2016 Department of Public Works survey found 39% of small business owners nationwide, and 44% on the Prairies, said they would use Canada Post banking services if offered.

The department paid $142,137 for the study by Ekos Research Associates Inc.

“I think Canada Post is very open to increased financial services, not necessarily ‘postal banking’,” Brenda McAuley, national president of the Canadian Postmasters and Assistants Association, said in an earlier interview.

“I think the word ‘banking’ scares a lot of people. The banks don’t think it is necessary.

“There are islands in British Columbia where people have to take a ferry to get to a bank. We will look at pilot projects. I’ve got quite a few places on my radar.”

Canada Post in its 2020 Annual Report said it was “reinventing our retail model” at 6,084 post offices nationwide, including “assessing new financial services and options” mainly in rural Canada.

“Our vast retail network of post offices and dealer outlets across the country provides convenient locations and services with many of them offering evening and weekend hours to meet the changing needs of Canadians,” wrote management.

Jessica McDonald, then-chair of the Canada Post board, in 2018 testimony at the Commons government operations committee said the Crown corporation was “very open-minded” on resuming postal bank services.

“Postal banking has been under a tremendous amount of discussion and continues to be,” said McDonald.

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Continue Reading

News

Vancouver’s Stanley Park shut down at night because of fire threat

“The closure is being activated in an effort to reduce the fire risk to the park, which is extreme due to the current drought conditions and sustained heat events.”

mm

Published

on

The risk of fire is so extreme in Vancouver’s iconic Stanley Park, officials are to start closing it on a nightly basis.

“The Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation will be temporarily closing all non-essential access to Stanley Park between the hours of 10 pm and 6 am beginning tonight,” said the board in a Friday statement.

“The closure is being activated in an effort to reduce the fire risk to the park, which is extreme due to the current drought conditions and sustained heat events.”

The board said park rangers will set up temporary overnight access control points at five locations.

“The current conditions in Stanley Park are extreme right now and given the size of the park, the risk of a fire breaking out overnight when fewer people may notice it or report it presents a significant threat to the wellbeing of the park, its trees, wildlife, and everyone who relies on the park and its ongoing health,” said Amit Gandha, Director of Park Operations.

“We have been in close contact with our partners at Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services as well as the Vancouver Police Department and they fully support this proactive measure to reduce the risk of a catastrophic fire in the park.”

Vehicles, bicycles, pedestrians, and anyone who does not require access to the park will be turned around at access control points. 

Anyone requiring entry into the park during the closure, including the #19 bus, emergency services, patrons, and staff of park businesses, will be permitted to enter through the control points. Individuals who remain in the park after the closure begins will have unrestricted access to leave the park through the control points, said the board.

The access control points will be positioned at the following locations:

  • Traffic circle off Georgia St
  • The corner of Barclay and Park Lane
  • The corner of Beach Ave and Park Lane
  • The south exit of the Stanley Park Causeway
  • The north exit of the Stanley Park Causeway

The Causeway will remain open but access to the seawall will be closed.

The temporary closure will be in effect seven days a week beginning Friday, July 30 and will extend indefinitely until the fire risk has been significantly reduced.

Stanley Park is Vancouver’s largest urban park, with more than 400 hectares of naturalized West Coast forest. The park has approximately half a million trees – mostly cedar, fir, and hemlock – some of which are hundreds of years old.

Hundreds of wildfires are currently burning across BC.

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Continue Reading

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Share

Petition: No Media Bailouts

We the undersigned call on the Canadian government to immediately cease all payouts to media companies.

170 signatures

No Media Bailouts

The fourth estate is critical to a functioning democracy in holding the government to account. An objective media can't maintain editorial integrity when it accepts money from a government we expect it to be critical of.

We the undersigned call on the Canadian government to immediately cease all payouts to media companies.

**your signature**



The Western Standard will never accept government bailout money. By becoming a Western Standard member, you are supporting government bailout-free and proudly western media that is on your side. With your support, we can give Westerners a voice that doesn\'t need taxpayers money.

Share this with your friends:

Trending

Copyright © Western Standard New Media Corp.