Connect with us

News

Wilkinson’s wife holds shares in Enbridge while he lectures on dangers of climate change

The North Vancouver Liberal MP has repeatedly invoked the couple’s school-age daughters in justifying federal climate change programs, but he has failed to mention the shares.

mm

Published

on

While warning Canadians of the looming dangers of climate change, federal Environment Minister Jonathan Wilkinson’s family has been holding stock in one of Canada’s largest gas companies, says Blacklock’s Reporter.

Wilkinson admitted Monday his wife Tara own shares in Calgary-based Enbridge Inc.

The North Vancouver Liberal MP has repeatedly invoked the couple’s school-age daughters in justifying federal climate change programs, but he failed to mention the shares.

“There is no doubt it is the existential issue of our time,” Wilkinson testified last November 4 at the Commons environment committee.

“It is something we must take action on in the short term if we want to leave a livable planet for our kids. We are doing the work to ensure we are moving forward in a manner whereby Canada can look our children in the eyes.”

Tara Wilkinson, in a filing under the Conflict Of Interest Act, said she held an undisclosed number of shares in Enbridge.

Her husband had earlier praised the company by name for supporting the federal carbon tax on its natural gas customers.

“Listen to some of the voices of Canadian industry, companies like Suncor, Enbridge and Shell (that) are in support of a carbon price,” Wilkinson told the Commons in 2016.

He repeated the remark three times.

Tara Wilkinson is a director of marketing for Best Buy Canada. She also disclosed stock holdings in other federally-regulated companies including Canadian Pacific Railway, Bell Corporation Enterprise Inc. and the Toronto Dominion Bank, as well as federal contractors like Pfizer Inc., Johnson & Johnson, Amazon.com and 3M Company.

Other cabinet members with family shareholdings in Enbridge include Attorney General David Lametti, Minister of Crown-Indigenous Relations Carolyn Bennett and Senator Marc Gold (Que.), Government Representative in the Senate, as well as Deputy Finance Minister Michael Sabia, Liberal MP James Maloney (Etobicoke-Lakeshore, Ont.), chair of the Commons natural resources committee, and Liberal MP Anthony Housefather (Mount Royal, Que.), parliamentary secretary for labour.

“You know very well climate change is an existential threat from an environmental perspective,” Wilkinson earlier told the Commons.

“It is an existential threat for human health.”

Wilkinson in 2016 said he attended his daughters’ North Vancouver school, Handsworth Secondary, to speak to students about the perils of climate change but he did not mention his family’s Enbridge stock.

“As I stood in front of 200 students at Handsworth, in the high school that is attended by my two teenaged daughters, this responsibility felt very real,” said Wilkinson.

“Through my discussions with these students, it was clear to me the issue of climate change is of critical importance to students.”

As recently as last Thursday, Wilkinson said he felt “a lot of pressure” on climate change.

“That would be the pressure that we felt, pressure to honour the commitments we made to our children that we’re going to leave them something that is a workable and sustainable world,” he told reporters.

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard and the Vice-President: News Division of Western Standard New Media Corp. He has served as the City Editor of the Calgary Sun and has covered Alberta news for nearly 40 years. dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com

Continue Reading
4 Comments

4 Comments

  1. Sue Baye

    May 3, 2021 at 12:54 pm

    Regina businessman Trevor Wowk has organized protests of COVID-19 restrictions and run for office on a platform of family values. He also quietly runs a massage parlour in his home that offers sex for sale. He also was a CPP candidate. Wow, “listen to what I say, don’t watch what I do” type of guy.

  2. Marie Wade

    April 28, 2021 at 5:27 pm

    Wilkinson’s wife works for Best Buy? Walk through a Best Buy and find one thing there that isn’t either a product of or packaged in something produced from FF. Wilkinson and all of his NDP and Liberal colleagues are hypocrites and criminal in their destruction of the industries based in the west. So tired of politicians of all stripes.

  3. Dennis Richter

    April 28, 2021 at 11:55 am

    This nonsense Climate Change has absolutely Nothing to do with C02 or the climate. It is all about a transfer of wealth and retaining power. One day the Sheeple will awaken to find out just how utterly crooked and deceptive this whole scheme is. Or, they will totally buy in and suffer the consequences. Glad I’m old.

  4. Left Coast

    April 27, 2021 at 10:37 am

    Klimate Change?
    Hasn’t the Climate Always Changed? Was there a time when it did NOT ? When was that?

    Gorebull Warming is a fraud . . . 33 years of lies and failed predictions.
    Living in North Vancouver surely Wilkinson remembers the early 80s . . . when for 3 or 4 years there was NO SNOW on Grouse Mtn. “Experts” said it might never snow on Grouse Mtn again as the heat from the city was causing the problem.
    Fast forward a decade and Grouse was enjoying 500 cm + seasons, in spite of the fact that the population of North Vancouver, West Vancouver and the downtown area had more than DOUBLED, and by now likely trippled. Can’t recall a bad year since a 86, in the 90s they skied one season well into MAY.

    Reality is . . . AGW = and Unproven Hypothesis to this day . . . and the rare gas CO2 can’t warm anything. If CO2 doubled tomorrow only the Petunias would notice!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Penticton joins list of cities cancelling Canada Day celebtations

The mayor reached out to Chief Greg Gabriel of the Penticton Indian Band, to ask how council could support the local First Nations community following the Kamloops discovery.

mm

Published

on

The city of Penticton has become the second municipality in BC to cancel Canada Day festivites.

Celebrating Canada Day has been called into question across the country after the discovery of the gravesites of 215 undocumented children at a Kamloops residential school.

“When we heard what happened in Kamloops and they found the 215 unmarked graves of those children, we thought it was appropriate to hold back and wait to see what the federal government was going to announce,” Mayor John Vassilaki told CBC.

The mayor reached out to Chief Greg Gabriel of the Penticton Indian Band, to ask how council could support the local First Nations community following the Kamloops discovery.

“The Chief also made a note that if we were to cool down the celebrations this year, it would be greatly appreciated by the Penticton Indian Band,” said Vassilaki. 

“And we wanted to show respect and reconciliation with what happened in Kamloops.”

St. Albert this weekend became the first city in Alberta to cancel celebrations.

“In respect of our community members who have experienced and continue to experience the effects of intergenerational trauma due to the residential school system, the City of St. Albert will not be hosting its annual Canada Day fireworks display this year,” it said in a tweet.

The city of Victoria was the first out of the block when they cancelled their Canada Day programing last week.

“As First Nations mourn and in light of the challenging moment we are in as a Canadian nation following the discovery of the remains of 215 children at a former Kamloops Residential School, Council has decided to take the time to explore new possibilities, instead of the previously planned virtual Canada Day broadcast,” said Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps in a media statement.

City council, who voted unanimously to change its plans for July 1, noted everyone will celebrate Canada Day in their own way.

“The City of Victoria aims to take leadership and provide an opportunity for thoughtful reflection and examination of what it means to be Canadian in light of recent events and what we already know from our past,” says the City of Victoria in a release.

Helps also made headlines in 2018 when she had a statue of Sir John A. Macdonald – one of the central figures involved in bringing residential schools into Canada – removed from the front of Victoria City Hall.

An estimated 150,000 First Nations, Inuit and Métis children attended residential schools between the 1860s and 1996, according to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.

The Kamloops Industrial School (later known as the Kamloops Indian Residential School) was opened under Roman Catholic administration in 1890 before growing into the largest school in the Indian Affairs residential school system.

While several Catholic bishops across Canada have apologized and requested the release of documents in response to the discovery in Kamloops, the Vatican has yet to issue an apology or release documents.

As for the Canadian government, 15 tons of paper documents related to the residential school system between 1936 and 1944, including 200,000 Indian Affairs files, were destroyed by Liberal Prime Minister William Lyon Mackenzie King’s government, according to the Truth and Reconciliation Final Report.

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Continue Reading

News

St. Albert cancels Canada Day fireworks

Celebrating Canada Day has been called into question across the country after the discovery of the gravesites of 215 undocumented children at a Kamloops residential school.

mm

Published

on

The city of St. Albert has become the first municipality in Alberta to cancel some Canada Day celebrations.

“In respect of our community members who have experienced and continue to experience the effects of intergenerational trauma due to the residential school system, the City of St. Albert will not be hosting its annual Canada Day fireworks display this year,” it said in a tweet.

Celebrating Canada Day has been called into question across the country after the discovery of the gravesites of 215 undocumented children at a Kamloops residential school.

The city of Victoria was the first out of the block when they cancelled their Canada Day programing last week.

“As First Nations mourn and in light of the challenging moment we are in as a Canadian nation following the discovery of the remains of 215 children at a former Kamloops Residential School, Council has decided to take the time to explore new possibilities, instead of the previously planned virtual Canada Day broadcast,” said Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps in a media statement.

City council, who voted unanimously to change its plans for July 1, noted everyone will celebrate Canada Day in their own way.

“The City of Victoria aims to take leadership and provide an opportunity for thoughtful reflection and examination of what it means to be Canadian in light of recent events and what we already know from our past,” says the City of Victoria in a release.

Helps also made headlines in 2018 when she had a statue of Sir John A. Macdonald – one of the central figures involved in bringing residential schools into Canada – removed from the front of Victoria City Hall.

An estimated 150,000 First Nations, Inuit and Métis children attended residential schools between the 1860s and 1996, according to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.

The Kamloops Industrial School (later known as the Kamloops Indian Residential School) was opened under Roman Catholic administration in 1890 before growing into the largest school in the Indian Affairs residential school system.

While several Catholic bishops across Canada have apologized and requested the release of documents in response to the discovery in Kamloops, the Vatican has yet to issue an apology or release documents.

As for the Canadian government, 15 tons of paper documents related to the residential school system between 1936 and 1944, including 200,000 Indian Affairs files, were destroyed by Liberal Prime Minister William Lyon Mackenzie King’s government, according to the Truth and Reconciliation Final Report.

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: Alberta to drop all COVID restrictions on Canada Day

Premier Jason Kenney announced Friday the province has reached the targets to launch Stage 3 which was a vaccination rate of 70.2% in the province.

mm

Published

on

It’s all systems go for Alberta to launch into Stage 3 of its COVID-19 recovery plan.

Premier Jason Kenney announced Friday the province has reached the targets to launch Stage 3, which included a vaccination rate of 70.2% in the province.

He said Alberta will drop all COVID-19 regulations on July 1 and “our lives will get back to normal.”

That means:

  • All restrictions lifted, including ban on indoor social gatherings
  • Isolation requirements for confirmed cases of COVID-19 and some protective measures in continuing care settings remain

“This is a great day for Alberta! Thanks to the diligence of Albertans and the decision of 2.7 million folks to get vaccinated, we are now just two weeks away from getting our lives back to normal,” said Kenney at a Friday press conference.

“This is an important milestone and a great achievement, but we will not stop here. We will keep administering first and second doses as quickly as possible so we’re not just open for summer, but open for good.”

Kenney said the general indoor provincial mask mandate will be lifted, but masking may still be required in limited and specific settings.

And the mayors of Calgary and Edmonton have said they may continue with their municipal mask bylaws.

“With more than 70% of eligible Albertans now vaccinated with a first dose and more receiving second doses every day, the end of this pandemic is near,” said Health Minister Tyler Shandro.

“Thank you to the Albertans who have rolled up their sleeves to get protected. For those who are still thinking about getting a shot, you have only one week to get your shot before we draw for $1 million and other great prizes.”

Anyone in Alberta aged 18 and over can still enter the first Open for Summer Lottery draw for a chance to win $1 million. Registration closes at 11:59 p.m. on June 24 and proof of vaccination will be required to claim the prize. The winner will be announced on July 1.

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Continue Reading

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Share

Petition: No Media Bailouts

We the undersigned call on the Canadian government to immediately cease all payouts to media companies.

49 signatures

No Media Bailouts

The fourth estate is critical to a functioning democracy in holding the government to account. An objective media can't maintain editorial integrity when it accepts money from a government we expect it to be critical of.

We the undersigned call on the Canadian government to immediately cease all payouts to media companies.

**your signature**



The Western Standard will never accept government bailout money. By becoming a Western Standard member, you are supporting government bailout-free and proudly western media that is on your side. With your support, we can give Westerners a voice that doesn\'t need taxpayers money.

Share this with your friends:

Trending

Copyright © Western Standard New Media Corp.