Connect with us


Coates released with $1,500 fine

Coates, wearing a mask and orange prison overalls told the judge: “I’m not a political revolutionary.”




Embattled Pastor James Coates is set to be released after being jailed, in solitary confinement, for more than a month because he refused to stop preaching.

But he’s leaving prison with the harsh words of Judge Jeffrey Champion ringing in his ears.

Coates’ lawyers expected him to be released in the afternoon following the paperwork at the Edmonton Remand Centre.

Coates and his lawyers all appeared virtually in a Stony Plain courtroom Monday morning.

Both the Crown and defence made a joint submission asking for $100 fine with Coates pleading guilty to breach of an undertaking.

Coates, wearing a mask and orange prison overalls told Champion: “I’m not a political revolutionary.”

But the judge told court he wasn’t sure the $100 fine was enough of a deterrence.

“He wants to make a statement that he cannot be bound by the undertaking. But I want to make a statement about people who refuse to obey public health orders during a pandemic,” said Champion.

The judge retired to consider his verdict.

He came back with a $1,500 fine and a tongue-lashing for Coates.

Champion lambasted Coates for putting his congregation and the greater public at risk, adding: “He’s serving a period of time because he wants to make a statement.”

As part of the deal, one of the Public Health Order violations was dismissed, but one remains.

Coates was arrested Feb. 17 for repeatedly preaching to his packed GraceLife Church, just outside Edmonton, in contravention of Alberta COVID-19 laws.

His trial is set for May 3.

In an earlier bail hearing, Justice Peter B. Michalyshyn, in the Edmonton Court of Queen’s Bench, denied it, stating the pastor’s continued detention was “justified” and “necessary.”

“Pastor Coates is bound by the rule of law. His refusal to the condition of release and multiple noncompliances with the stated intent to continue concerns public safety,” Michalyshyn said.

Coates’s refusal prefaced on his “strong interpretation of holy scripture” rather than an unwillingness to ensure the health of his congregation, he noted.

Coates was represented by the Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms.

In the hearing, Coates’s counsel James Kitchen argued the condition of release to stop preaching was a direct violation of Coates’s conscience and without legal precedent.

Danielle Smith interviews Erin Coates and John Carpay

 Erin Coates, the pastor’s wife, said in an affidavit her husband could not abide by the conditions “in good conscience.”

“These beliefs include the necessity of the whole congregation gathering physically, in person for Sunday morning services,” Erin wrote in the affidavit.

She said failure to hold Sunday services would be “an act of disobedience to Christ.”

Erin said her husband has lost weight in jail and is having problems with his neck. He is only let out of his cell twice a day for 15 minutes at a time.

In a letter  to Premier Jason Kenney, the JCCF pleaded with him to free Coates and also asked him to “assume responsibility for protecting the Charter rights and freedoms of Albertans, and cease allowing the Chief Medical Officer to violate them by health orders that are not reviewed by, or approved by, the elected Members of the Legislative Assembly.”

Kenney has declined to get involved.

NDP leader Rachel Notley has taken to Twitter to voice her displeasure towards GraceLife Church.

“We cannot have open defiance of public health orders while the vast majority of Albertans do their part to stop the spread of COVID-19,” said Notley.

She urged the premier and the Alberta government to “step in and stop” those who continue to evade efforts to flatten the curve. 

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard and the Vice-President: News Editor of Western Standard New Media Corp. He has served as the City Editor of the Calgary Sun and has covered Alberta news for nearly 40 years. dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com

Continue Reading


  1. C.T. Smith

    April 2, 2021 at 7:17 pm

    meanwhile, rapists and murderers go free.

  2. Sonja Farrell

    March 23, 2021 at 10:59 am

    The last thing as Albertans should be to listen to Rachel Notley! Clear indication this “Covid Catastrophe” is socialist driven.

  3. John Kaptein

    March 23, 2021 at 6:31 am

    Incredible that this judge can champion a 1500 fine on this fine pastor when The judge had a choice to give a $100 fine for a freedom fighter of the Gospel. Is this bully politics or what? He should be ashamed of himself but someday his hate for truth will have to be answered before the judge of all judges, God himself. What a disgrace he is to the justice system! May the Lord have mercy on his soul.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Alberta gov’t granted injunction to ban weekend protest at Whistle Stop Cafe

Chris Scott and others, outraged by the province’s lockdown regulations, planned to protest the closure with a campout over the weekend adjacent to the restaurant.




It hasn’t even happened yet, but an Alberta court has already ruled a weekend protest at the Whistle Stop Cafe is illegal.

The Court of Queen’s Bench has granted a pre-emptive injunction against, Chris Scott, the owner of Whistle Stop, because the restaurant plans to host a rally over the upcoming weekend called the “Save Alberta Campout Protest.” The injunction was granted at the request of Alberta Health Services (AHS), an agency under Health Minister Tyler Shandro.

Last week, the RCMP raided the establishment and carted away all its booze. On Wednesday, the RCMP and AHS officials showed up en masse and padlocked the building.

Undeterred, Scott continued cooking pancakes, making burgers and serving coffee to his customers in the parking lot outside his shuttered restaurant. The UCP government recently banned outdoor patio service for restaurants.

He and others, outraged by the province’s lockdown regulations, planned to protest the closure with a campout over the weekend adjacent to the restaurant.

But the AHS, which sought the injunction, said the judge ruled it illegal because it would not comply with public health restrictions on mandatory masking, attendance limits, and social distancing.

“The order restrains the owner and others from organizing, promoting and attending the event and includes police enforcement and imposes significant consequences on the organizers of this event,” AHS said in a statement to media.

“AHS has taken this step due to the ongoing risk to Albertans created by those breaching COVID-19 public health restrictions.”

The Western Standard has reached out to Scott but hasn’t heard back on what effect the injunction will have. Scott said earlier in the day he will now seek elected office by running for the Wildrose Independence Party in the upcoming 2023 election.

Scott is the only gas station or restaurant in Mirror, a town of about 500, 50 km northeast of Red Deer, and now he’s seeing people from all over the province stopping in.

“The law is garbage – it”s doing more harm than good,” said Scott in an earlier interview with the Western Standard.

“If they want to throw me in jail for trying to earn a living, go ahead,” said Scott.

Scott has owned the cafe since July 2019, but it has been a fixture in town since 1967.

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard

Continue Reading


EXCLUSIVE: UCP Secretary quits over ‘lies’

Smith has worked with conservative parties since 1976.




The former secretary of Alberta’s United Conservative Party (UCP) says she decided to resign from the board because she “was tired of all the lies.”

In an exclusive interview with the Western Standard, Cathy Smith said she handed in her notice on April 6, after a string of statements and actions about the COVID-19 pandemic by Premier Jason Kenney.

Smith said the beginning of the end started when Kenney held a press conference over COVID-19 and warned of a pandemic so extreme there would be “body bags coming out of McMahon Stadium.”

“I said to myself ‘Are you kidding me’. There will never be body bags coming out of McMahon Stadium,” said Smith.

“I know nurses. Nurses at the time told me there was nothing going on in their hospitals.”

Smith said Kenney then started to condemn the “right-wing, the conspiracy theorists.”

“I said wait a minute, I’m right-wing. And then the way we treated Dr. (Dennis) Modry. I thought this wasn’t the right way to represent our 40,000 members,” she said.

Kenney and Modry have been in a battle of letters. Modry published an open letter to the premier on the Western Standard saying lockdowns don’t work. The letter went viral and has been viewed hundreds of thousands of time. It took Kenney three months to reply with his own letter.

As party secretary, Smith dealt with more than 100 e-mails, either from party members or people who voted for the UCP, about how the lockdowns were affecting their lives.

“We had an e-mail from a family whose grandfather died because his heart operation had been postponed. I e-mailed everyone back. I explained I was not writing as a representative of the party. I told them I didn’t agree with what the party was doing,” Smith said.

Smith said she was aware of a group of men in Medicine Hat who went to high school together – 20 of whom have committed suicide since the pandemic started.

“I told everyone to get involved at the (constituency association) level if they really want to make change,” Smith said.

She said the last straw for her was when Kenney appeared on talk show host Danielle Smith’s last show on QR77 and said he wasn’t aware the party board had approved a leadership vote in 2022, just six months before the next election.

“I was just tired of all the lies, Kenney pretended he didn’t know about the leadership vote. I thought ‘This is not the way — where’s the trust’,” Smith said.

“I was tired of all the lockdowns (without proof they work). But I said to myself, I will never quit, never, never, never.”

Finally, after talking to several other board members, Smith handed in her notice.

Smith has worked with conservative parties since 1976. As to where she will vote in the next election: “I’m still waiting.”

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard

Continue Reading


WATCH: Alberta’s costume lady forced to sell treasure trove of outfits because of lockdowns

“Fifteen months later, there is no coming back.”




It took Vickie Friesen more than 30 years of sewing to create 5,000 different costumes – everything from pirates to princesses.

Now, after a year of COVID-19 lockdowns, she is being forced to sell the lot.

Friesen and her husband, Darrell can no longer afford to keep their Three Hills Tickle Trunk outlet open and the business running after income vanished after lockdowns banned everything from school plays to Halloween.

Some of Vickie’s creations

“We just can’t afford to stay in business. There’s no theatre, there’s no parades, there’s no parties,” Vicki told the Western Standard on Thursday.

“In 2019, we were busy every week of the year with rentals. 2019 was booming. It was fabulous.

“Once word of our business got around, we started having the same customers repeated over and over. I started to ask customers to ask me what costumes we didn’t have, it was just easier.

“Now, nothing.”

Vicki recalled she sent out costumes for shows last March, but after the lockdowns, the costumes were returned and customers wanted their money back.

“Everything came back. I sat by the phone, but it didn’t ring anymore,” said Vicki.

Roman centurion outfit

“Fifteen months later, there is no coming back.”

The couple has made the heartbreaking decision they will have to sell all the costumes. A sale will be held at the store the next two Saturdays. A deal to sell their building should be signed next week.

All kid’s costumes will be sold for $10. Adult merchandise is 50% off, between $25 and $50 at their Three Hills store at 519 Main Street.

Need a storm trooper outfit? It will be there along with full ball gowns, Second World War uniforms and German lederhosen. Antique furniture is also on sale.

“They are all going for a song,” Vicki said, regret in her voice.

But some of the stuff they aren’t parting with includes all their Christmas outfits. The couple created a costumed “Christmas Convoy” through the town last year, and plan on repeating it, all over the province if asked.

Mr. and Mrs. Claus… really the Frieses

The couple did receive some federal COVID-19 aide which went to fixing a leak in the building, but not enough to even cover basic utilities.

Vickie proudly boast she has shipped her costumes all over the province: “From High Level to High Prairie.”

Tickle Trunk promo

She started sewing as a kid in Manitoba, creating costumes for theatre troupes and school plays. She also handmade graduation dresses for area high schoolers.

She stored her works of art in a 12×12 granary but it soon became full.

The Friesens and their two young children decided to move to Alberta and they set up shop in Three Hills, eventually buying a building in which to operate their business and store their dresses.

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard

Continue Reading


Copyright © Western Standard New Media Corp.