fbpx
Connect with us

News

Kenney slightly loosens COVID restrictions on Alberta

Kenney praised Albertans for the sacrifices made to lower the number of infections.

mm

Published

on

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney has announced the province is moving into Stage Two of its COVID-19 pandemic opening plan – but it’s a very small, cautious step.

Kenny credited the sacrifices made by Albertans to ensure Step Two could proceed with caution.

Step Two of the government’s reopening plan could only move forward if the province had an average of under 350 hospitalizations.

The province had originally said the Stage Two opening should have meant potential easing in these areas:

  • Retail
  • Banquet halls
  • Community halls
  • Conference centres
  • Hotels

But the opening of those areas will be delayed, said Kenney. If things improve they could be loosened before Stage Three.

Libraries can now open at 15 per cent capacity along with easing of indoor fitness and children’s sport and performance.

Changes to fitness activities include:

  • Unsupervised low intensity individual and group exercises are now allowed by appointment only.
  • Mandatory physical distance of three metres is required between participants, including coaches and trainers, at all times, and masks must be worn at all times by trainers and those participating in low-intensity activities.
  • All indoor fitness must be pre-registered – no drop-ins allowed.
  • Low-intensity exercises include weightlifting, low-intensity dance classes, yoga, barre and indoor climbing, as well as the low-intensity use of treadmills, ellipticals and related equipment are now okay.
  • High-intensity activities, including running, spin and high-intensity interval training, continue to be allowed only on a one-on-one with a trainer basis, or training with a household and one trainer.

“COVID-19 is still here and still a threat,” Kenney told reporters.

He pointed to a “sharp reduction” in hospitalization from 950 at the height of the pandemic to 257 as of Monday.

Kenney said cases in long term care homes have “plummeted 95 cent”, crediting the inoculation programs at the facilities for the drop.

He called the inoculations a”game-changer” and against lambasted Justin Trudeau for his government’s vaccine rollout fiasco, noting Canada now rank 40th in the world.

And Kenney called on people to still avoid social gatherings, as 30 per cent of all cases come from those.

Kenney has said even though the province has already outperformed all the required steps in Step Two, he will not be going onto the next step for at least three weeks.

“We’re not out of the woods …but we can take small steps forward,” Kenney said.

Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Deena Hinshaw said the province recorded 291 new cases Monday with two more deaths. The positivity rate for Monday’s testing was 4.9 per cent. A total of 35 new cases of variants were discovered bringing that total to 457.

The easing of regulations comes days after the Western Standard revealed admissions into Alberta’s intensive care units (ICUs) actually dropped last year.

Health officials and politicians have repeatedly said skyrocketing ICU admissions have threatened to overwhelm the provincial health care system, a key argument used to justify harsh COVID-19 lockdowns since the pandemic first hit in March 2020.

While numbers in ICU peaked at over 100, there are currently only 55 people as of the weekend receiving that level of care. There are 269 people in regular hospital wards as of Friday.

Internal Alberta Health stats on ICU admissions

The province has registered more than 133,000 cases of the virus that has so far resulted in 1,877 deaths as of Friday. There are currently 4,505 active cases across the province.

The average age of people succumbing to COVID-19 in Alberta is 82 years, which is also the average life expectancy in the province.

Step Three would require an average hospitalization figure of under 300.

When that happens the government will loosen requirements on:

  • Adult team sports
  • Casinos, racing centres and bingo halls
  • Indoor social gatherings, with restrictions
  • Indoor seated events (movie theatres and auditoria)
  • Libraries
  • Museums, art galleries, zoos, interpretive centres
  • Places of worship

Numerous rallies have been held across the province as people have gathered to protest the restrictions.

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard and the Vice-President: News Division of Western Standard New Media Corp. He has served as the City Editor of the Calgary Sun and has covered Alberta news for nearly 40 years. dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com

Continue Reading
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Left Coast

    March 5, 2021 at 12:50 pm

    Lockdowns have no significant benefits: international study

    An international study comparing government measures to combat coronavirus in ten countries found lockdowns had no measurable impact on transmission.

    The study, written by researchers at Stanford University, found that there was “no clear, significant beneficial effect of [more restrictive measures] on case growth in any country.”

    “We do not question the role of all public health interventions, or of coordinated communications about the epidemic, but we fail to find an additional benefit of stay-at-home orders and business closures,” the study says.

    “Similar reductions in case growth may be achievable with less‐restrictive interventions.”

    Researchers compared data from eight countries that used lockdowns — the United States, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Iran, Italy, the Netherlands and Spain — to countries which used voluntary measures — Sweden and South Korea. Coronavirus modeling failed to find a case where lockdowns flattened the curve.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

News

Truckers: ‘We are not separatists or terrorists’

The organization announced the number of heavy trucks-alone- going to Ottawa is close to 50,000, a large increase from the original expected 1,600 trucks.

mm

Published

on

Truckers on the Freedom Convoy are rejecting characterizations they are “separatists” and “terrorists.”

“A small team of Alberta truckers, their family members and friends, came to the decision that the Government of Canada has crossed a line with implementing COVID-19 vaccine passports and vaccine mandates. As of today, we now have the support of millions of Canadians from across the country,” group organizers said in a press release.

Demands from the Freedom Convoy to the federal government are:

  • Terminate all vaccine passports, including inter-Canada passport systems.
  • Eliminate mandatory programs of vaccination and contact tracing.
  • Respect the rights of those who wish to remain unvaccinated.
  • Cease the divisive rhetoric attacking Canadians who disagree with government mandates.
  • Cease limiting debate through coercive measures with the goal of censoring those who have varying or incorrect opinions.

“A unified and free Canada can be our future, and it starts now with reminding the government they serve the people,” stated the truckers.

“We have an opportunity for all of us to come together irrespective of our differences and do what is needed to ensure our freedoms are protected now and for future generations.

Statements claiming the convoy participants are ‘separatists’ or ‘terrorists’ are “categorically false and an attempt to smear” the movement, organizers said.

“It is saddening this kind of rhetoric is coming from Prime Minister Trudeau and his government. Instead of protecting our basic freedoms outlined in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, Justin and his government seek to do the opposite. He is continually issuing defamatory comments and maligning large segments of the population. If history has taught us anything, these are actions that cannot be ignored. We are peaceful, hard-working Canadians who love our country and want the betterment for all Canadians.”

The organizers said due to the mass support of the movement, they can no longer guarantee the average Canadian will not be disrupted by the protest.

“For that, we are truly sorry, and we will do our very best to limit the disruptions to your lives. We ask that Canadians remember we are fighting for everyone’s freedoms and it’s the political class that has abandoned us all,” said the release.

The organization announced the number of heavy trucks going to Ottawa is close to 50,000, a large increase from the original expected 1,600 trucks. One driver going the opposite direction told the Western Standard he measured the convoy at 100-km long as it approached Winnipeg.

Some supporters are unable to commit to the whole trip, but are finding ways to still participate.

“A lot of vehicles just join the parade while it’s close to their homes and then peel off later, so it’s dynamic,” Martin Halvorson, a driver in the convoy, told the Western Standard.

“The amount of people is unknown because we are not counting … The numbers are big,” convoy organizer, Andy Draaistra, told the Western Standard.

“All the support is unbelievable, we hope the overpasses will hold the tons of people,” said Draaistra.

via risex100, Twitter
Via Basia Porter, Twitter

The protest is against federal COVID-19 mandates and is scheduled to arrive in Ottawa January 30 and then hold a mass demonstration the next day, Monday, when Parliament reumes.

Ewa Sudyk is a reporter with the Western Standard
esudyk@westernstandardonline.com

Continue Reading

News

China changes Fight Club ending to cops busting anarchists

Multiple scenes from the original cut were deleted and a new ending was added.

mm

Published

on

The classic film Fight Club has been changed for viewers in China, with a ‘happy ending’ that complies with domestic censorship rules.

An altered version of the 1999 film was released on streaming platform Tencent Video in China over the weekend.

Multiple scenes from the original cut were deleted and a new ending was added.

Many in China had seen the original film pirated online and were surprised when streaming the newly released version.

Instead of buildings exploding at the end, the version shows authorities step in and win. 

Original closing scene of Fight Club

In the closing scenes of the original the narrator kills off his imaginary alter ego Tyler Durden and then watches multiple buildings explode with Marla Singer, suggesting his character’s plan to bring down modern civilization is underway.

In the censored version released in China, the narrator still kills off Durden, but the exploding buildings scene is replaced with a written message on black screen.

“The police rapidly figured out the whole plan and arrested all criminals, successfully preventing the bomb from exploding.”

As well as Tyler, figment of the narrator’s imagination was sent to a ‘lunatic asylum’ for psychological treatment and later discharged.

Revised ending to Fight Club

China is home to some of the strictest rules regarding censorship, and only a handful of foreign films are released each year.

In the past Hollywood has created alternative cuts in order to comply with Chinese censorship rules, in hopes to access millions of viewers in the country.

It is unclear if the cut was made by western movie producers, or the Chinese government.

Tencent did not comment on the matter.

Authorities under President Xi Jinping have been working to eliminate society of influences classified as unhealthy, including within movies, television, computer games.

This effort was also extended to cracking down on the country’s local celebrities for perceived immoral behaviour.

The Cyberspace Administration of China announced earlier this week an organized month-long ‘clean’ web campaign to create a ‘civilized and healthy’ online atmosphere.

Ewa Sudyk is a reporter with the Western Standard
esudyk@westernstandardonline.com

Continue Reading

News

Butt launches Twitter tirade on Scheer for supporting truckers

“It’s a truly depressing turn for our politics to take in Canada. Have we paid no attention to what happened to US politics, and how it happened?”

mm

Published

on

The former top aide to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has launched a Twitter broadside against former Conservative leader Andrew Scheer after he supported the truckers’ convoy rolling across Canada to protest vaccine mandates.

“Thank you Truckers! Trudeau is attacking personal liberty and threatening everyone’s ability to get groceries because of his overreach on vaccine mandates. He is the biggest threat to freedom in Canada,” Scheer tweeted.

Scheer tweet

That was enough to set Butts off.

“A breathtakingly irresponsible thing for a former Leader of the Opposition to say. Calling the prime minister — any prime minister — the biggest threat to Canadian liberty? This isn’t a dog whistle. It’s a welcome mat,” he tweeted.

“Politics is a rough business and not for the thin of skin or faint of heart. But the people in these enormously important offices have to respect those offices, even if they don’t like each other.”

Butts tweet

In a later tweet, Butts said: “Have been thinking about Mr Scheer’s comments all day. It’s a truly depressing turn for our politics to take in Canada. Have we paid no attention to what happened to US politics, and how it happened? I almost wish I were a Conservative, so I could fight for my party’s soul.”

On the weekend, Butts took a run at organizer Tamara Lich in an attempt to cast doubt on the integrity of Convoy For Freedom 2022.

“An Alberta separatist has collected almost a million bucks on a GoFundMe page to ‘support’ trucker protests. Where will the money go?” asked Butts in a tweet. 

More than $4.5 million has been raised to date as thousands of truckers are expected to descend on Ottawa this weekend.

Continue Reading

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Share

Petition: No Media Bailouts

We the undersigned call on the Canadian government to immediately cease all payouts to media companies.

1,192 signatures

No Media Bailouts

The fourth estate is critical to a functioning democracy in holding the government to account. An objective media can't maintain editorial integrity when it accepts money from a government we expect it to be critical of.

We the undersigned call on the Canadian government to immediately cease all payouts to media companies.

**your signature**



The Western Standard will never accept government bailout money. By becoming a Western Standard member, you are supporting government bailout-free and proudly western media that is on your side. With your support, we can give Westerners a voice that doesn\'t need taxpayers money.

Share this with your friends:

Trending

Copyright © Western Standard New Media Corp.