Connect with us

News

Feds say airline bailout plan will take time

Without decisive action, Canada’s air transport system could emerge from COVID-19 in a much weaker state,” a cabinet-appointed Industry Strategy Council wrote in a December 11 report.

mm

Published

on

There is no quick fix to the woes plaguing Canada’s airline industry, says the federal transportation minister 

Omar Alghabra said he saw no quick conclusion to talks with airlines on a $7 billion pandemic bailout. 

“I’m not able to prejudge the outcome yet,” Alghabra told the Commons transport committee.

“The heart of our negotiations with major airlines is protecting jobs and restoring regional routes.

“It’s making sure the airline sector is resilient, and one way of making sure the airline sector is resilient is that we maintain those highly trained jobs.”

Blacklock’s Reporter said airlines and unions have petitioned for pandemic aid with negotiations ongoing since last November 8. “

Without decisive action, Canada’s air transport system could emerge from COVID-19 in a much weaker state,” a cabinet-appointed Industry Strategy Council wrote in a December 11 report.

“You can’t miss the forest for the trees,” Jerry Dias, national president of Unifor, testified January 26 at the transport committee. 

“This is about preserving the industry.”

Unifor has some 16,000 members in the sector including pilots, air traffic controllers, mechanics and service agents. Most are on layoff, said Dias.

“We’re frustrated, we’re disappointed and frankly we are completely pissed off over the lack of action of the government on this important file,” said Dias. 

“The government refuses to act.”

The U.S. industry has received $50 billion in aid. 

Alghabra yesterday said cabinet is seeking numerous conditions to any Canadian bailout.

“Restoring regional routes is part of the consideration of this negotiation,” said Alghabra. 

“At this moment I’m not able to prejudge exactly the specifics, but I can tell you it’s a massive consideration of the deal. It is an important part of the deal, and it’s necessary for public support.”

Federal regulators last October 16 allowed money-losing airlines to cancel domestic routes without a minimum 120 days’ notice under the Canada Transportation Act

WestJet suspended all flights to cities like Charlottetown, Fredericton, Moncton and Québec City. Air Canada last June 30 suspended all flights on thirty routes including Regina to Winnipeg, North Bay to Toronto and Saint John to Halifax.

Alghabra said airlines must also refund billions owed passengers holding pre-paid tickets on cancelled flights. 

“Refunds for passengers who lost trips because of COVID restrictions are a critical element of our discussions, he said. 

“So it’s regional routes, it’s jobs, it’s refunds. All of those aspects are taken into account in the ongoing discussions with the airlines.”

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard and the Vice-President: News Division of Western Standard New Media Corp. He has served as the City Editor of the Calgary Sun and has covered Alberta news for nearly 40 years. dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com

News

Alberta moves fully into Phase 2 of reopening

Up to six UCP MLA’s spoke publicly against their government not moving fully into Phase Two.

mm

Published

on

After a UCP caucus revolt last week against current COVID-19 lockdown regulations, the Alberta government announced Monday afternoon they are fully moving into Phase 2 of their reopening plan.

The updated health measures are now in place for retail, hotels and community halls, performance groups, and youth sports, performance and recreation.

The changes are effective immediately. They are in addition to the small Step 2 measures announced on March 1, as pressure eases on the health system and hospitalizations remain well below 450.

Up to six UCP MLA’s spoke publicly against their government not moving fully into Phase Two.

Medicine Hat UCP MLA Michaela Glasgo has joined colleagues Todd Loewen, Dave Hanson, Ron Orr, Angela Pitt and Drew Barnes in condemning current regulations.

Despite reaching Phase 3 benchmarks, Premier Jason Kenney only announced March 1 that libraries could open and gyms to start offering some services.

“Every day, we administer more vaccines and every day fewer Albertans are in hospital due to this virus. With cases stable and more vaccines arriving, it’s time to take another safe step forward. Our government is listening to the evidence and protecting both lives and livelihoods across the province,” said Kenney in a Monday statement.

Phase 2 reopenings now include:

Banquet halls, community halls, conference centres and hotels

  • These facilities can now open for all activities permitted under Step 1 and Step 2.
  • This includes hosting virtual meetings/conferences/events, permitted performance activities, wedding ceremonies with up to 10 individuals, and funeral services up to a maximum of 20 individuals.
  • Wedding receptions, funeral receptions or trade shows are not permitted.

Retail

  • All retail services and shopping malls must limit customer capacity to 25 per cent of fire code occupancy, not including staff. This is an increase from 15 per cent.
  • This includes individual stores and common areas.
  • Curbside pickup, delivery and online services are encouraged.

Performance activities

  • Individuals or groups can now rehearse and perform in preparation for filming or live streaming a performance, provided they adhere to public health guidance.
  • For adult performers and performance groups (over the age of 18), the following activities are permitted:
    • Individual performers or performance groups (up to a maximum of 10 individuals) can access facilities for rehearsals or filming/virtual broadcasting.
    • Larger indoor film and other performances will be allowed provided there is no audience and subject to an approved plan that follows strict new guidance, including regular lab-based PCR testing.
  • No in-person audiences are allowed for any type of performance.
  • Masks are required and three-metre physical distancing must be maintained at all times.
  • For children and youth, performance activities are permitted provided they follow the same requirements set out for youth sport, performance and recreation activities in Step 1:
    • Up to a maximum of 10 individuals with three-metre distancing between all participants.
    • No spectators or in-person audiences are allowed for any type of performance.
    • Masks are mandatory at all times.
    • Includes lessons and practices.
    • Includes youth development activities such as Scouts, Girl Guides and 4-H.
  • Performance activities include dancing, singing, theatre and playing instruments.

Youth sports and recreation

  • There is no change to the restrictions around youth sport and recreation.
  • The Step 1 restrictions around youth sports and recreation have been expanded to include members of college and university athletic programs:
    • Lessons, practices and physical conditioning activities are allowed.
    • Games are not allowed.
    • Maximum of 10 total individuals, including all coaches, trainers and participants.
    • Physical distancing must be maintained between participants at all time.
    • Participants must be masked at all times, except during the training activity.

“We continue striking a safe balance between easing restrictions and preventing cases from rapidly rising once again. The strain on our health system continues to decline, which benefits every Albertan. Proven health measures remain in place in all sectors, and we must all do our part to keep each other safe and continue driving hospitalizations downward,” said Health Minister Tyler Shandro.

Any decisions on Step 3 will be made on March 22, at the earliest, based on hospitalizations and the current spread of COVID-19. 

“While targeted measures are being eased, we all must remain vigilant and keep going the extra mile. COVID-19 remains a serious health threat, and variants of concern can spread more easily if given the chance. Until we have more vaccine for our population, it is essential that every Albertan continues to be the vaccine for each other,” said Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Deena Hinshaw.

Hinshaw also reported 6 new deaths since last Friday, bringing total to 1,920. She said there 278 new cases on March 7; 304 on March 6.

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Continue Reading

News

Calgary mother angered by lack of special needs’ accommodation for mask bylaw

Distraught by her experience at Indigo, Fatima Elrafie was angered by their “no room for dialogue” attitude to ensure its customers’ comfort, especially vulnerable Calgarians.

mm

Published

on

A Calgary mother is furious after a local Indigo store refused to allow her in because her special needs son wasn’t wearing a COVID-19 mask.

Fatima Elrafie, a make-up artist said on Sunday, the Cross Iron Mall Indigo management team refused her autistic son, Zayd service because he could not wear a mask.

Distraught by the experience, she told the Western Standard Indigo demonstrated no room for dialogue on improving or ensuring its customers’ comfort. 

“There was no empathy to the situation or understanding of the special needs’ realities and their exemption, as there was no attempt at understanding or accommodation,” said Elrafie.

“I would ask that businesses such as Indigo be sensitive to special needs’ challenges and provide a supportive environment. It is very difficult because this pandemic has arguably hurt special needs and the vulnerable population the most.

“My son has had to endure long periods outside of the classroom without social interactions with others which have had a detrimental effect on his mental health and overall progression. A simple getaway to a bookstore should not have resulted in being forced out and deprived of shopping simple for being uninformed and uneducated on our bylaws.” 

According to the data released on March 5, the City of Calgary has issued 258 violation tickets for failure to wear a face-covering indoors since August 1, 2020.

The temporary COVID-19 Face Coverings Bylaw came into effect on August 1. It was extended on December 11 by Calgary City Council with increased penalties for failure to wear a face covering and repeat violations for the next 12 months. 

Her concerns regarding the mask bylaw extend to those beyond special needs as well.

“Everyone should be free to shop in an environment that adheres to government bylaws that specifically protect the vulnerable,” said Elrafie, who asks that special needs Canadians protect themselves and know their rights as outlined in local bylaws. 

“You are protected by law and must have these handy to recite in any situation like this that might arise. Not everyone can wear a mask, and if it is difficult for one to fathom that, they must realize their privilege for comprehending others’ simple limitations. 

“Perhaps it is a lesson to all of us that others face different, maybe worse struggles and that the government must protect them from discrimination.”

Last week, the City of Calgary was informed that the Ministerial Order enabled community peace officers to respond to violations under the CMOH had expired. 

Alberta’s Human Rights Commission states masks may not be suitable for children and adults with certain physical, intellectual, mental, or cognitive disabilities, such as autism or anxiety.

Indigo nor its Cross Iron branch were available for comment at the time of publication.

Dhaliwal is the Western Standard’s Edmonton reporter.

Continue Reading

News

YouTube censors plea from Canadian doctors to end COVID lockdown

“This video has been removed for violating YouTube’s Terms of Service,” was what viewers saw when they clicked on the video.

mm

Published

on

A video put up Monday on YouTube from a group of Canadian doctors demanding an easing of COVID-19 restrictions was quickly removed by the company.

“This video has been removed for violating YouTube’s Terms of Service,” was what viewers saw when they clicked on the video.

“The Canada Health Alliance is a non-profit collaboration of medical doctors, nurses, chiropractors, naturopaths, pharmacists, and other healthcare practitioners from across Canada whose common goal is to protect the rights of our patients to access the highest quality healthcare available, continued freedom of choice, and autonomy through informed consent,” says the group.

“Our goal is to halt the misuse of power by politicized public health “experts” currently being conveyed through damaging COVID-19 public health policies that are destroying Canadian society and the health of Canadians.”

In partnership with the Liberty Coalition Canada, the groups are calling for governments to end:

• Lockdowns and physical distancing

• Promoting the use of masks

• Handwashing and cleaning surfaces with toxic disinfectants ·

• Quarantines of asymptomatic people and social isolation

• Using RT-PCR testing on people

• Advocating inadequately tested gene-modifying COVID-19 vaccinations (insufficient human and animal trials)

• Unnecessary COVID-19 policies at hospitals and other health care facilities

• Business closures or restrictions

• Restrictions on churches and places of worship

• Closures of public facilities including schools, playgrounds, parks and recreational facilities

• Misrepresentation of the COVID situation in the media

• The use of fear and other psychological coercion techniques

“The first principle of medical and health care practice is to do no harm,” said the medical group.

“Furthermore, evidence-based medical information should be the determining factor in all governmental healthcare rules, policies, and procedures. The current government measures regarding COVID are not supported by evidence-based medical research, and many of these measures are harmful to individuals, families and society in general.”

Another video from the group can be found on the Liberty Coalition’s website here.

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © WSNM Media Corp.