News

Former Liberal MP calls Trudeau a ‘fool’ unconcerned with increasing costs

Dan McTeague said Justin Trudeau’s Clean Fuel Standard and $170 carbon tax are far worse than the “Green Shift” proposed by Stephane Dion

A long-time Liberal and former MP says Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is a “a fool who is nothing more than a marionette for the Laurentian elite.”

Dan McTeague, who has helped Liberal campaigns since 1978 and was a Liberal MP for Pickering from 1993-2011, said Trudeau’s Clean Fuel Standard and $170 carbon tax are far worse than the “Green Shift” proposed by Stephane Dion as Liberal leader in 2008.

“There was a time when Liberals actually did give a damn about the cost of living and they don’t today,” said McTeague, who once chaired a government task force on gasoline pricing and is now president of Canadians for Affordable Energy.

By 2030, Trudeau’s Clean Fuel Standard is expected to add another 11 cents per litre to the cost of gasoline, while the hike in carbon taxes will increase gas prices by another 36 cents per litre.

“We’re being led down this path of high costs, less jobs, all to be brought even into this fear, the aura of wokeness on the belief in the green climate front,” said McTeague in an interview with the Western Standard.

McTeague insists Trudeau’s “climate alarmism…has gripped the country at a time which would have the most devastating impact.” He also expressed concerns with Trudeau’s “virtue signalling” and “preachy” approach to government.

“It’s left a good number of Canadians without them knowing whether it’s a party that has their back, that has their interests. It’s really about top-down lecturing, moralizing about the new [climate] cult, and conform or be cast out. And that’s really the divide and conquer that I think has unfortunately gripped the nation beyond its economic woes, beyond its lack of accountability in terms of representation, beyond its dangerous move towards a fiscal collapse,” said McTeague.

“It’s important to have a strong energy sector to be able to pay for the social programs – you start messing with those as this Prime Minister has done, and his gang, you start cutting away the very economic and social underpinnings of this country.”

The 18-year Liberal MP believes the Trudeau government has deeply divided Canadians.

“We’re looking at really an undeniable collapse in our democracy and it’s unfortunate, but it’s created significant divides that I never thought would be ones a country could withstand – regional divides, city versus rural, West versus East, have and have nots versus haves, and…public servants versus those who work in the private sector.

“All these things tend to demonstrate there is no common purpose. The goal of government to make everyone work together and to get all the cylinders firing up and are rolling in the same direction has all been thrown out in favour of one or two handpicked issues in which you, your opposition, each either track or stand or fall.”

McTeague interned on Parliament Hill in 1981-82 when the first Trudeau was in power, and says the elder was more tolerant of debate and disagreement.

“The Liberal Party was far more tolerant and far more objective about future of Canada and everyone had a role. And that was true under Pierre Trudeau, whether we liked him or not. That guy could stand up to people in a good debate unlike his son who can’t tolerate anybody who is opposed to him. And that would not be like Paul Martin or Jean Chretien or Bill Graham or Stephane Dion or Michael Ignatieff.

“If you had something to say, you could say it. You could say it publicly, you could disagree with him, you could disagree with him on the floor of the House of Commons. At the end of the day, we were all Liberals. That is no longer the case. It’s an intolerant, academically intolerant group of people whose whole purpose is to divide and conquer and win by the narrowest of pluralities.”

McTeague believes Canada is on a path toward greater authoritarianism and that “this prime minister and the technocrats who dictated this policy to him are really only interested in attaining their woke objective, getting their carbon offset markets up and running, and enrichening their friends.”

“Every Canadian should be prepared to throw these bums to the side…these guys are not Liberals, they’re pretenders – and dangerous ones at that.”

1. Dave Van De Cappelle

January 25, 2021 at 12:13 pm

We could get rid of him if The Election guys would change the law to only let citizens vote, right now it lets anyone in Canada vote, with or without being a citizen, And with most of the not yet have citizenship or have no interest in getting Citizenship can vote and most of those Immigrants that fit that description, are all in the GTA. I watched the last federal election and all of Ontario voted CP except for the GTA

• Guest

January 25, 2021 at 4:17 pm

Justin Trudeau is a master of slight of hand. Roxham Rd. being one. That bloody RCMP Commissioner who sits on her ass and is Trudeau’s patsy is useless as t’s on a bull. Trudeau is stacking the voter lists with illegals and our law enforcement is blind to the law of the land to stop it. The PM has total power in Canada that’s not a democracy, but it is a fucking dictatorship in the hands of a corrupt, immoral, valueless clueless bastard like Trudeau.

Liberal taxpayer paid media are corrupt as hell in their coverage of Trudeau.

2. Guest

January 24, 2021 at 5:06 am

Many voters in Canada vote on feelings alone. Trudeau is a master at being a celebrity first and not much second. He tells the low information voters what they want to hear. Then demonizes anyone who opposes his fairy tells as racist or homophobic or Harper fault.

The liberal media love ❤️ Trudeau after all he’s given them what they most wanted. Work for nothing and get your money for free.

Ho Canada 🇨🇦 ya what a fucked up country.

• Dr.RTFM

January 24, 2021 at 12:54 pm

“Many voters in Canada vote on feelings alone.”

This is not surprising. Ask yourself when was the last time you head a person say “I feel like we should ….” when the person should have said “I think we should ….” I observe this extremely frequently, and research has shown repeatedly that the words a person chooses affects that person’s thinking.

Incidentally, this is why the term “social distancing” was an extremely poor choice. Not only is it incorrect for achieving its intended purpose (people need to maintain physical distance, not social distance, if you want to reduce the spread of viruses from one person to another), but it is actively detrimental to people’s mental wellbeing.

3. That's Dr. #SAND to you...

January 23, 2021 at 7:23 pm

Thank the turnips for voting for Prime Minister Socky McBlackface.

4. Charles Martell III

January 23, 2021 at 7:09 pm

I knew Trudope was a “Fool” back in the day when he became Lieberal Party Leader . . . .
    Goes to show you . . . even a Liberal can eventually figure it out.

as for the NDP . . . read their Constitution, it reads like Karl Marx.

• Greg Misquitta

January 25, 2021 at 4:08 pm

The NDP is – The Old – Communist Party of Canada.

Founded in – SK, it’s TWO Founding Members (Amongst Others) are:
      BOTH Councilors at Socialist $hitty Hall (Toronto).

This is what Kelly McParland asks:
      My Opinion – People LOVE their FREE Stuff and Welfare (Regular or Sophisticated – Equalisation) and Marijuana and Multicultural “Exclusive” Ghettos and ENJOY Virtue Signaling and Sharia Law Diktats and Lip Service to Causes; hence, the likes of Trudeau and Jagmeet and Doug Ford and Patrick Brown and O’Toole and Nenshi and Notley and Roy Romanov and Horgan and Wynne and Del Duca and John Tory and Horwath get Elected.
      Also WHY – Liberals are SO “SUCCESSFUL” in Paradises like – QC and Toronto and BC and Atlantic Canada.

Kelly McParland: Why do Canadians keep supporting this error-prone government?
      Kelly McParland Jan 25, 2021

• Charles Martell III

January 25, 2021 at 4:30 pm

Most of Canada’s large cities are now the United Nations . . . I personally think Canada as we knew it is done like dinner. Many of these folks value free stuff more than Freedom.
        Becoming clearer every day that Alberta and other western provinces would be better off as a separate country.
        Don’t believe BC would be in . . . it could flounder on its own!

• Greg Misquitta

January 25, 2021 at 7:49 pm

Agreed; though I DOUBT – MB will be an Easy Sell.
        Correct me IF I am Wrong; however, ny underatanding is – MB – has been a NDP Bastion for a While.

Pallister’s WIN – was a Fluke (I think) and he has Governed like a Liberal for a While Now.

BC’s Liberal Party – has been – Considered – “The Conservative” Option, for a while now.
        Gordon Campbell (though a Liberal) – did Govern with “Some” Conservative Principles. Sadly he – Overstepped and got Recalled.

Northern BC – MIGHT JOIN WEXIT – After it sees the Benefits that ALL in Alberta (and Hopefully SK) Enjoy.

However, AB will have to WEXIT – FIRST and Demonstarte to SK that it is a REAL Benefit.
        Then – SK – will Join and soon Nothern BC. MB MIGHT FOLLOW.
        Mainland BC – Not Likely.

WEXIT is – Alberta’s Last Hope – to:
        CHART – Your Own – FUTURE
        MANIFEST – Your Own – DESTINY

• Charles Martell III

January 26, 2021 at 4:23 pm

BCs Liberal Party was a conglomerate of Cons, Social Credit & Liberals . . . first rose under Gordon Wilson, then Campbell took over and won the Election in 2001. In 2001 BC was the highest taxed region in Canada, high unemployment, declining Real Estate Prices. Campbell fixed the mess . . . to his credit.
        BC heading in that direction today.

“Campbell said, “After considerable soul-searching and discussion with my family I’ve decided to ask the B.C. Liberal party executive to hold a leadership convention at the earliest possible date to select a new leader of the party,” he said.

Campbell has been premier since 2001.”

I grew up in Manitoba, my dad was a big NDPer, met Russ Pawley in the late 70s when he was premier & he told me he knew what my needs were. I told Russ he had his head where the sun don’t shine . . . used to have long discussions with my father over the insane NDP.

In the 60s Manitoba was prosperous and Conservative, Ed Schryer became the First NDP Premier in 71 I think . . . and things started to go downhill . . .

I moved to the coast in 75, best decision ever.

You could be right about the BC hinterlands, they certainly don’t think like the Lower Mainland. That of course would be go for the new country, Kitimat is a great location for a deep water port. Already used for Aluminum and someday CNG if it ever gets built.

5. Dr.RTFM

January 23, 2021 at 3:33 pm

And who replaces him? The only option I see of any substance whatsoever is Maxime Bernier, but I don’t see him getting elected any time soon. The CPC end up in the same place as the LPC, but take longer to get there; the NDP get their faster; none are proposing a different direction.

• Greg Misquitta

January 23, 2021 at 4:59 pm

I am ALMOST – One Hundred Pct sure, that:

A Group calling itself – CANADA PROUD – is IN FACT an Arm of the Trudeau Lite CCP, er, CPC.

By “Donating” a Dime to them, you are IN FACT Propping Up the Elitists in the “Establishment”.
      YUP – the Elitists who:
      FIRST – took Membership and Donation Dollars, as “Their FAIR SHARE, for their Lifestyles. . .
      From DeCarie and Karahalios – then CANCELED them.
      THEN – took MOR Donation and Membership Dollars NEAU from those who REGISTERD for the SHAM – They are Calling a “Policy Convention” – then CANCELED them by – CANCELLING Sloan.

Identical to WHAT – Doug Ford did to: Karahalios and Tanya Granic Allen in Ontario.
      (Ontario Proud – is the ARM of the Patrick Brown and Doug Ford PCPO).

DON’T BE SURPRISED OR SHOCKED IF:
      O’TOOLE’S – GLOBALIST / CCP PUPPET MASTERS – NOW SUDDENLY COME UP WITH A DESPERATE “SPIN” – TO “EXPLAIN” THEIR TREACHEROUS AND DESPICABLE BEHAVIOUR.

THINK Carefully!

• Greg Misquitta

January 23, 2021 at 5:03 pm

Re your Comment Specifically:

Maxime Bernier and his PPC – MAY NOT FORM Government (in the Short Term); however, like the NDP and BLOC and GREENS, could be a Very Vibrant and Tough Opposition that could make a Positive Difference.

That’s ONE Reason – to Vote PPC – in the Next Federal Election.
      Another Reason: Doing the above – will send a Clear Message that your VOTE and Taxes and Donation / Membership Dollars (IF you are a Part of ANY Party) and VOICE – CANNOT be Taken for Granted.
      Another BIG Reason: Doing the same thing Over and Over gain, and Expecting a Different Result is the Definition of Insanity.

As far as Dan McTeague is concerned: He has ALWAYS CALLED – A SPADE A SPADE.
      As far as Trudeau is CONCERNED: Trudeau INHERITED – a FIFTY Billion Dollars SURPLUS in 2015 (December).
      WITHIN Three and a Half Years – he had CONVERTED this into the LARGEST DEBT in Canadian History!

Less Than – SIX Months – ago and FOR THE FIRST TIME IN CANADIAN HISTORY. . .
      Trudeau Applied to the IMF for a FIFTY BILLION DOLLARS LOAN (on OUR Backs and those of Our Children and Grandchildren).
      Anyone who knows – SOMETHING about HOW – the WB / IMF Operate should SIMPLY LOOK at – AFRICA and Most South American and Asian Countries.
      Once EITHER the IMF / WB – get their Tentacles INTO an Economy, it is ONLY a Slow but Sure SLIDE into Bankruptcy and PERPETUAL Debt; at Some Point, EITHER One or BOTH of these Institutions – will OWN said Country (for ALL Practical Purposes – Fiscal / Economic / National Security / Foreign Policy).
      TRUDEAU – is ALREADY Ordering Canada’s ARMED FORCES, to Divulge Operational Intelligence and give Access to Other Security Information to – The CCP (with Canadians Languishing in Chinese Prison of “Manufactured Charges”).

That’s TRUDEAU’s END Game.

The PLANDEMIC has come at an “Opportune Time” for him and his “Masters”.

It gives Trudeau the “COVER” he needs to Speed Up the Conversion of this First World Nation, into the UNHOLY – Nexus – ‘tween:
      The RED and The GREEN
      Trudeau’s ADDITIONAL Carbon Tax (to Increase Over $100.00 / Tonne) by 2030, is a Big Part of the Above “Process”.
      CANADA’S “FEDERAL DEBT” (Alone) – Stands at – ONE TRILLION Dollars and Climbing.

Obama began that Process – in the USA.
      Donald Trump – Stopped and had BEGUN to Reverse the Process.
      Biden is SPEEDING UP – the Process – to ACHIEVE Obama’s “ONLY Objective”.

In Ontario: Doug Ford has PROVED to be IDENTICAL.
      Doug Ford – INHERITED – a DEBT, from the McGuilty / Wynne / Del Duca / Horwath
      Government.
      A DEBT being SERVICED by – REGULAR FOLK – @ $12.5 “BILLION” / Annum on INTEREST Alone to Service said Debt.
      Circa June / July 2019 (Long BEFORE the Plandemic and First Lockdown) –
      Doug FROD and his Gang had INCREASED the DEBT to the Level that –
      REGULAR Folk “Were” Paying $14.9 “BILLION” / Annum (an Increase of Over 10% – in TWO Years) in INTEREST Alone to Service Debt (with ZERO Beneft to Regular Folk) + an ADDITIONAL Provincial Carbon Tax.
      (This was Reported by – the Business Financial Post, then Ben EISEN in the TO SUN as well as the Ontario Taxpayers’ Federation).
      God ALONE KNOWS – WHAT the Interest Payment on Today’s Debt @ $400 BILLION (Ontario) is.

Like Trudeau and Patrick Brown andMcGuilty / Wynne, DOUG FORD has BROKEN EVERY Promise he made to become: Leader of the Party and, then, Premier.

• Dr.RTFM

January 24, 2021 at 12:46 pm

I didn’t say I wouldn’t vote PPC; I did so in the last election and expected to do so in the next election, presuming it to be a possibility in my riding. I have never understood this nonsense about “splitting the vote”; if you vote for anything other than your preferred choice you are unlikely to achieve anything; what constantly amazes me, TBH, is the number of SoCons who continue to vote CPC and expect to get anything; the CPC has made abundantly clear, repeatedly, that they take the SoCon vote for granted because “if you don’t vote for CPC, you might as well vote for Trudeau; oh, and BTW, we aren’t going to give you anything that you want, but you HAVE to vote for us.”

I’m not a SoCon (and largely cannot stand them, though we share some points in common, notably a belief in fiscal responsibility and a general view that people should be broadly responsible for their actions (so regardless whether or not a woman can have an abortion, she can pay for it herself if she wasn’t trying to prevent pregnancy; for G-d’s sake grow up an take some responsibility for your behaviour!)) but I’ve truly never understood why they take so much sh!t from the CPC and still vote for them. Very, very weird.

• ninetyninepct

January 24, 2021 at 2:33 pm

There is no preferred candidate in my riding, and I am no politician. Other than spoil my ballot, what can i do? I am stuck in a Federal and Provincial NDP shithole here in BC. I refuse to use a write-in ballot, as every one has an ID number that is unique to that ballot. The bastards will know how I voted. Screw them. Maybe I will write “Fk Trudeau, none of the above” on my walk-in ballot.

PS: To be a Federal party, the Bloc should be forced to have candidates in every Province. I would have supported their separation. As it is, they only represent Quebec.

• Greg Misquitta

January 24, 2021 at 5:25 pm

Interesting Point – ninetyninepct.

I actually did Spoil my Ballot – ONCE – by Literally CANCELING EVERY Name / Party and WRITING at the BOTTOM: NOTA (None of the Above)

• Greg Misquitta

January 24, 2021 at 9:31 pm

You make a Good Point Dr.RTFM – on the Issue of Abortion. I had responded to the same; however, the Powers that be at DISQUS have Chosen to Delete and/or Hide the same; likely, at the Behest of – Trudeau and/or O’Toole and their Cancel Culture Crowd. Being a Compassionate “Real” Conservative, I will try and Repeat the Comment to the Best of my Recollection:

Text:
        Good Points Dr.RTFM!

I am FIRMLY Pro-Life; however, also Believe in the Constitution and Charter – both of which are EXPILICT and IMPLICIT:
        RIGHTS GO HAND IN HAND WITH RESPONSIBILITY.

When I was on FB (Approx’ 3 Years ago), I had this same Discussion with a Self-Professed “Liberal Feminist – cum – Wannabe ‘Conservative’ ” from Belleville/ON – of the O’Toole and Patrick Brown and Doug Ford and like – SCHEER Disasters Genre.
        This is what my Final Response was – based on which – she CANCELED ME by Unfriending me and Reporting me to FLAKEBOOK Commie Socialist Cancel Culture TWITS (WHO WARNED me NOT to be Abusive).

This is what I wrote; can ANYONE tell me WHAT is Abusive in the Response I gave her, please:

I said: I BELIEVE in the Constitution and Charter; both of which give ALL of Us – Rights WITH Responsibility.
        a) When you get – PREGNANT – you MADE your Choice. One gets Pregnant by CHOICE or because of Irresponsible / Negligent Behaviour.
        No One I KNOW will be Blessed with – an Immaculate Conception.
        Do you BELIEVE you will?
        Would you, therefore, AGREE that – Getting Pregnant is NOT a Health Issue; Rather a Lifestyle “Choice”?

b) Having MADE the CHOICE, as in “a”, you NOW have BUYER’S Remorse and Demand – a Second Choice. Have you NOT HEARD of – Caveat Emptor?

c) Now AFTER Demanding a SECOND Choice – you FURTHER DEMAND, that – I PAY FOR “YOUR CHOICE” of Lifestyle. Is that HOW you were Raised? To Demand OTHERS PAY for YOUR Choices – in Life?

Then – I went Further – How about a Compromise, Dear Lady?

a) Pay for your Choices and Enjoy the Right to Make Them.

b) Abort WITHIN the First Trimester – ONLY! If you really WANT to Abort – because of – Buyer’s Remorse – then the First Trimester gives you Ample Time to do so and Pay for the same (yourself).
        Heck – EVEN the LAW is Clear:
        **IF (at a Certain Stage in Pregnancy) a Woman with Child, gets Killed in an Accident or by a Stray and/or Intended Bullet or Knife, etc and – is NOT a Fault (Other Than being in the WRONG Place at the Wrong Time) and the Child in her Womb –
        Also Dies –
        the DA / Crown Prosecutor has THE CHOICE to CHARGE and INDICT the Perpetrator with a DOUBLE Homicide.
        So – The LAW Recognises, that – LIFE Exists in the Womb at a Certain Stage.

c) IF a Woman gets Raped and is Afraid of getting Pregnant, she can Immediately go to the Nearest Emergency, get a Rape-Kit Administered and Avail of a “Pill” – that Prevents Pregnancy.

d) IF a Couple or Single Woman – is Pregnant and it is Found Out – Late in the Term that there is a Danger to the Life of. . .
        The Mother-to-Be OR that the Child in the Womb – IF Born –
        could have Serious Disabilities and/or Ailments from Day One or Soon (Leading to Massive Physical and Mental and Emotional and Monetray Cost) – then the Mother-to-Be can Make the CHOICE and Pay for It.
        Why Pay for it?
        Because IF – the Mother to be – Took the Baby to Late Term, the INTENT was to have the Child.
        WE KNOW it Costs Approx’ – CAD 250K to Raise a Child, from Day One thru’ 18 (At Least); and IF the Parent (s) is PLOGLESSIVE – then the “Child” will still be Living in their BASEMENT or Grandma’s – TILL Age 50 (At Least).
        So they can Afford an Abortion, ANYWAY.

e) For those BELOW 18 – Parental Consent Required.

f) Education System – $ex Ed’ should Focus on HEALTH and HYGIENE with Emphasis on the Emotional and Psychological Trauma Associated with Abortion PLUS the Real Dangers of Contracting STDs – Especially AIDS by having UNPROTECTED $ex.

She CANCELED me and Reported me for being Abusive and FLAKEBOOK’S Cancel Culture Crowd “WARNED ME”.
        (Many have been “Employed” by Doug Ford and Trudeau and Patrick Brown and Notley and Nenshi and John Tory and Horgan and Pallister and Kenney and Horwath and Del Duca and Jaggu and O’Toole and like – SCHEER Disasters).

• Sanford Thompson

January 24, 2021 at 2:43 pm

Confessions of an economic hitman. Dept traps designed by the tecnocrats at the IMF and baited with promises of personal riches and an appeal to vanity and narcissistic egos.
        We are living through a corporate global coup

6. working ant

January 23, 2021 at 3:33 pm

He calls it like it is…good on him..! Now IF ONLY PEOPLE WILL LISTEN….

7. warrenzoell

January 23, 2021 at 3:12 pm

I’m still confused as to why the Canadian electorate voted for this idiot in the first place. Let alone re elected. The stupid is strong with the Canadian voter.

• GonadTheRuffian

January 23, 2021 at 9:57 pm

During which election did he start using the Dominion voting machines and in how many ridings?
      If they are widely used in the next election Turdeau could well become dictator for life.

8. doug

January 23, 2021 at 1:36 pm

blackface groper boy will have this guy blacklisted & banned from the elite liberal fold.

News

MAKICHUK: Rory, Napoleon and the Equalization reckoning

My friends, a reckoning is coming and it all begins on Monday when you enter the municipal voting booth.

“Few men are willing to brave the disapproval of their peers, the censure of their colleagues, the wrath of their society. Moral courage is a rarer commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence. Yet it is the one essential, vital quality for those who seek to change a world that yields most painfully to change.”
― Robert F. Kennedy

Rory went camping with his wife in lovely BC about seven months ago.

That’s not his real name but it will suffice for now.

The names have been changed to protect the innocent, like in that detective television show Dragnet.

My entire life is a lengthy list of bad TV shows but that’s another story.

They parked the trailer, set up the picnic table and did what most campers do including letting out their cat, Napoleon.

Again, the name was changed to protect the cat’s innocence.

Everything was fine until it was time to go home. No Napoleon.

They searched and searched, nowhere to be found. No Napoleon.

Time eventually runs out on these matters and while it’s a heart-breaking decision, you have to move on.

But Rory would use social media to search for his faithful cat.

Seven months later … yes, seven months, he would get a message, short and simple, with a photo.

It read “Is this your cat?”

Rory raced back, with trailer in tow — ready to spend days there if he had to.

This time he was not coming back without his furry pal.

Strangely enough, as he was parking the trailer, he looked in the mirror … a cat stood by, stoically watching.

It was skinny, in rough shape but there was no mistake — it was Napoleon.

Seven months, still alive!

He called and he came. But when he tried to pat him he pulled back. Frightened.

I better not screw this up, Rory thought, so he turned on the gentle charm.

It worked. In minutes, Napoleon was curled up on the passenger seat headed back to Cowtown and an appointment with the vet.

According to FAQ Cats online, “a domesticated cat is unlikely to survive in the wild on its own for a considerable amount of time. Cats that have not spent time outside do not have the necessary skill set to survive in the wild by themselves.”

So tell me, how did Napoleon survive seven months on his own? It’s a mystery wrapped in an enigma, like … who killed JFK?

But let me take a guess — I think he survived on his smarts.

Napoleon probably ate camp food remnants or begged from campers. Maybe he killed birds or small rodents.

Ate spiders, bugs or anything that moved. Drank stream or rainwater.

Maybe he found a local benefactor. Who the hell knows.

All I know, is that Napoleon toughed it out. His desire to live, to survive, kept him going.

Seven months.

Think about that for a moment. How long would you last out there?

And then there are the predators. Things that want to eat you.

This ranges from hawks, raccoons, foxes, or even bigger animals like bears, bobcats and cougars, says FAQ Cats.

Little food to be found and death all around you.

Even outdoor survival guru Bear Grylls would have a hard time with this one.

So what is my point with Napoleon’s dramatic tale of survival?

Where there’s a will, there’s a way. And oh my, there is a will … and every day it grows stronger.

I’ve said it once, and I’ll say it again … and I’ll keep saying it until the day I die. It’s time Alberta goes its own way.

Either we get a new deal under confederation or we walk.

We can do this, I know we can. Albertans … true Albertans … are a strong, resilient, hard-working people.

We want our children and grandchildren to have a future. To have good jobs, the opportunity to grow and prosper and to make our province a better place.

That does not seem likely under the Trudeau regime in Ottawa. In fact, a road of economic despair awaits us.

It’s time to let those Eastern Laurentian elites know that you have had enough.

The question you will face goes like this:

Should section 36(2) of the Constitution Act, 1982, Parliament and the government of Canada’s commitment to the principle of making Equalization payments, be removed from the Constitution?

I’m voting yes, with extreme prejudice, and I hope you will do the same.

Let’s give Justin The Younger a nice kick in the squares.

Personally, I think it’s the purr-fect option.

Dave Makichuk is a Western Standard contributor
He has worked in the media for decades, including as an editor for the Calgary Herald. He is also the military editor for the Asia Times.
makichukd@gmail.com

News

WS Exclusive Poll: Support for Kenney ‘grim’ as calls to resign grow

Mainstreet President and CEO Quito Maggi described the figures for Kenney as “historically low.”

Things aren’t getting any better for Premier Jason Kenney with a clear majority of Albertans saying he’s not doing a good job and should resign.

The poll, conducted by Mainstreet Research, shows 69% of Albertans don’t approve of the job Kenney has done.

Only 28% of those polls think he has done a good job.

Mainstreet Research

Asked: “Do you approve or disapprove of the job Jason Kenney is doing as Premier of Alberta?” a whopping 55% said they strongly disagreed with the statement.

Another 14% said they somewhat disapproved.

The poll found only 10% of Albertans strongly approved of the work Kenney has done, with another 18% saying they somewhat approved.

Pollsters found 3% who didn’t know.

Kenney does appear to have some support from people who say they are going to vote for the UCP next election. A total of 77% either strongly or somewhat approved of his leadership. With 22% saying he’s not doing a good job.

There’s also anger in the rural areas with 61% of people in the north of the province disapproving of Kenney, in the south disapproval is at 65%.

Courtesy Mainstreet Research

Amongst NDP voters, not unsurprisingly, 90% disapproved of the job he is doing. A total of 75% of Wildrose Independence Party supporters said they weren’t happy with Kenney.

When pollsters asked if “do you think Jason Kenney should resign as premier?” a total of 58% said yes, 29% said no and 13% weren’t sure.

A total of 73% of UCP voters said Kenney should stay and ride out the storm.

Courtesy Mainstreet Research

“It’s pretty grim, very dire. It’s shocking to me,” said Maggi.

Maggi said Kenney is sitting at a negative 41 — the difference between supporters and opponents. He said only embattled former Ontario premier Kathleen Wynne has similar numbers before her election wipeout in 2018.

“That’s a historically high number in Canada,” said Maggi.

“The only way back now for the UCP is through new leadership.”

Maggi said Kenney is paying the price for his perceived bungling of the COVID-19 crisis.

“Most people are just looking for another option before the next election.”

The analysis in this report is based on the results of a survey conducted on October 12-13 2021 among a sample of 935 adults, 18 years of age or older, living in Alberta. The survey was conducted using automated telephone interviews (Smart IVR). Respondents were interviewed on landlines and cellular phones. The survey is intended to represent the voting population in Alberta.

The margin of error for the poll is +/- 3.2% at the 95% confidence level. Margins of error are higher in each subsample. Totals may not add up 100% due to rounding.

News

NDP support holding strong across Alberta

That’s enough of a lead to form a majority government, say pollsters.

The UCP would be gutted and Rachel Notley back as premier if an election were held today, an exclusive new poll done for the Western Standard shows.

The Mainstreet Research poll shows Notley’s NDP currently has the support of 41% of Albertans with Jason Kenney’s UCP well back at 25%

That’s enough of a lead to form a majority government, say pollsters.

Courtesy Mainstreet Research

The upstart Wildrose Independence Party collect 11% support in the new poll, with 5% siding with the Alberta Party, with the Liberals and Greens at 1% each. A total of 14% of voters were undecided.

Wildrose leader Paul Hinman polls best among people who are refusing to get vaccinated. When they were asked, 34% chose Wildrose, 29% for the UCP and only 2% for the NDP.

If the undecided are removed from the poll, the NDP checks in with 45%, the UCP with 29%, the WIP with 13% and the AP with 6%

In that poll, the NDP is also leading in Alberta’s two major cities. In Edmonton, the NDP has 62% support with the UCP at 21% In Calgary, the NDP leads with 48% support and the UCP at 31%.

Rural areas seem split. Northern rural areas favour Kenney 34% to 29% for Notley. Southern rural areas like Notley at 32% with Kenney at 29%.

Courtesy Mainstreet Research

“Things are looking pretty grim for Kenney,” said Mainstreet CEO and President Quito Maggi.

“It’s 18 months until the next election, and that can be an eternity, but numbers in this realm for the better part of a year, with no positive movement, shows the trouble he is in.”

Maggi said he was a little surprised by the lead of Notley in Calgary, normally a Conservative bastion.

“It speaks of the personal unpopularity of Jason Kenney himself. The policies of the NDP probably aren’t supported in Calgary but they are willing to vote for the candidate that will defeat Kenney,” he said.

Maggi noted Kenney is now getting it from both sides of the political spectrum and the WIP is taking enough to leave Notley with a majority victory. He predicted an NDP victory would only be by one or two seats.

The margin of error for the poll is +/- 3.2% at the 95% confidence level. Mar- gins of error are higher in each subsample.

Totals may not add up 100% due to rounding.