Connect with us


Nenshi’s chief of staff travelled to Hawaii during lockdown

And Nenshi is apologizing for not standing up to the the staffer and telling him not to go.




Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi admits his chief of staff jetted off to Hawaii while the rest of the city was under pandemic lockdown.

And Nenshi is apologizing for not standing up to Devery Corbin and telling her not to go.

He also admits another office staffer travelled to Hawaii but neither will face sanctions.

Alberta and federal health recommendations urge people not to travel under non-essential circumstances.

The Nenshi travel news is ironic as he was admittedly angry when the UCP snowbird scandal broke last week after it was discovered numerous MLAs had jetted off during the lockdown.

Nenshi told reporters Tuesday he was “yelling at the screen” when Premier Jason Kenney held a press conferece on Friday to try and explain away the scandal.

“Yes, I was aware of this travel … but I also believe that they made a decision they thought was right and fair and within the rules,” he said.

“I really wish I had said, ‘Are you sure about that? Do you think that is congruent with the messaging about how we’re all in this together, with the latest numbers,’

“I really wish I had done that, I didn’t do that and I’m really sorry I didn’t do that and I deeply regret I didn’t do that.”

Nenshi’s own Twitter homepage urges people to “stay home” during the pandemic.

Nenshi Twitter home page telling people to stay home

Prior to joining the Mayor’s Office as Chief of Staff in 2018, Devery worked at city for over 15 years in a number of areas including Planning and Development and Strategic Services.

more to come…

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard and the Vice-President: News Editor of Western Standard New Media Corp. He has served as the City Editor of the Calgary Sun and has covered Alberta news for nearly 40 years. dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com

Continue Reading


  1. UnLiberal

    January 7, 2021 at 4:12 pm

    As usual, no accountability! Politicians are so special!

  2. That's Dr. #SAND to you...

    January 6, 2021 at 6:41 pm

    Thank the idiots who voted for that idiot.

    The dumbest politician in the world can’t create problems until a bunch of socialist rejects elect him.

  3. joc22

    January 6, 2021 at 6:23 pm

    Hmm it guess the Purple People eater isn’t going to be docking her pay while in quarantine, is he !!

  4. Brian Tingley

    January 6, 2021 at 11:04 am

    We are all in this together. Some of us are in leaky old rowboats. Politicians and their cronies are in mega yachts.

  5. Joan

    January 6, 2021 at 1:06 am

    then Nenshi and all others concerned should be stepping down immediately! If a mayor can’t deal with his own staff, then he isn’t fit for office

  6. Charles Martell III

    January 5, 2021 at 4:09 pm

    It is good news that the Chief of Staff went to Hawaii . . .
    The Bad News is that she didn’t take Nenshi along and just bought One Way Tickets !

  7. Jim Edwards

    January 5, 2021 at 5:34 pm

    Our government employees and politicians didn’t lose a cent in pay and since they are already paid so well, with no chance of being laid off or fired, they can choose the best places for travel, Hawaii, Paris, etc. And so it is.

    We aren’t in this together.

    The price we pay so that an 83 year old diabetic with a heart condition can live a few more years, at a cost of perhaps $400Bn hasn’t really sunk into the sheople brain of your average Canukistanian.

    • Joan

      January 6, 2021 at 1:08 am

      so kill off anyone with diabetes or other conditions because it costs too much? it doesn’t matter what their age is.

      • joc22

        January 6, 2021 at 6:21 pm

        This is what happens in a socialist health care system, we haven’t got there Yet, thankfully but it is coming.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply


Police on the hunt for armed killer who gunned down man in Coquitlam Park

Dozens of witnesses potentially saw the shooting occur.




Police are calling on the public to help them locate the person responsible for killing a 20-year-old man next to a basketball court, where there may have been more than a dozen witnesses.

On April 19, about 6:30 p.m., Coquitlam RCMP members rushed to Town Centre Park to investigate calls of a shooting.

When police arrived, they found Bailey McKinney lying on the ground. He was pronounced dead at scene.

“We believe this was a case of an individual being targeted for murder and not the park itself,” said Sgt. Frank Jang, of the RCMP’s Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT).

“Unfortunately, we know too well that these types of events can happen in any community.”

IHIT has control of the investigation and is working closely with the Coquitlam RCMP, the Integrated Forensic Identification Services and the B.C. Coroners Service to gather evidence.

Now police are looking for anyone who might have seen something, or has other information that would help Mounties nab a suspect.

“We are aware that there were several people in the immediate area when the shooting occurred,” Jang said.

“Many of them fled the scene, understandably, from the shock of having witnessed a shooting. However, if you were one of those people, we need you to come forward now.”

McKinney was known to police, and cops said he had conflict with certain individuals who may be responsible for his murder.

McKinney was due to be in court next month for a litany of charges — including drug charges and assault with a weapon, to using a firearm during a criminal offence, and uttering threats to kill or cause bodily harm — acquired late September when he was involved in crimes in Coquitlam.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the IHIT Information Line at 1-877-551-IHIT (4448) or by email at ihitinfo@rcmp-grc.gc.ca

Mike D’Amour is the British Columbia Bureau Chief for the Western Standard.

Continue Reading


They’re home! Police give pupdate on stolen bulldog babies

Three American Bulldog puppies were stolen April 10 during a break and enter.




With dogged determination, Surrey Mounties have recovered the last two of three puppies stolen 10 days ago.

Three American Bulldog puppies were stolen April 10 during a break and enter at a home in the 17400 block of 8 Avenue.

One of the three stolen pups was quickly returned to the owners two days later, on April 12, when officers, acting on public tips, located one of the puppies that had been sold to an unwary attendee at a car show in Mission, BC.

Then, four days ago, Surrey RCMP Property Crime Target Team found the remaining two puppies. The wee pooches were returned to their owner and then reunited with their mom.
RCMP did not give details of the rescue, but did note the owners are very grateful to the public.

“Everyone feels good about being able to return these little pups to their family, and it was made even better by the fact we did it with help from the public,” said Cpl. Dan Barrows, of the Surrey RCMP Property Crime Target Team, said in a release.

“This was a rewarding investigation for our officers.”

The puppies — valued at about $3,000 apiece — were last seen snuggling their mom.

Mike D’Amour is the British Columbia Bureau Chief for the Western Standard. mdamour@westernstandardonline.com

Continue Reading


B.C. father of transgender girl to appeal sentence and fine

The father reached a plea bargain deal for a 45-day sentence and 18 months probation – but B.C. Supreme Court Justice Michael Tammen decided to sentence C.D. to six months in jail.




The B.C. father of a teenaged girl given male hormones against his wishes will appeal his sentence and fine for criminal contempt of court.

C.D., as he was known in court documents, pleaded guilty to the charges last week and was sentenced on Friday. He defied orders not disclose details that would reveal his child’s identity or that of the doctors responsible for cross-gender treatment. 

The father reached a plea bargain deal with prosecutors who recommended a 45-day sentence and 18 months probation. However, B.C. Supreme Court Justice Michael Tammen decided instead to sentence C.D. to six months in jail.

C.D.’s lawyer Carey Linde told the Western Standard he hopes to get his client out on bail while he appeals the sentence.

“We’re doing the bureaucratic steps to try to get him out,” Linde said.

“It depends on what the Crown’s position is going to be. And they’re not going to take a position until they can read the judgment. And the judgment has not been posted yet.”

Linde believes the sentence is excessive, especially given the plea deal.

“The responses that I’m getting from lawyers who are criminal lawyers say that…it’s absurd,” Linde said.

In his decision, Tammen said: “I do not accept (the father’s) intention was otherwise than to attempt to undermine the authority of the courts and overall administration of justice… Moreover, I expressly reject (the father’s) sworn assertion … that he had no desire to share information that would harm (the child).”

Linde said: “The judge has gone off the deep end of law and order. Why? He gave a very reasoned argument, if you agree with him…justifying draconian measures.”

In his decision, Tammen said: “No member of the public can decide when, in what circumstances and which court orders to follow… Unless and until successfully appealed, court orders must be obeyed. They are part of the legal fabric of society and, thus, the law. Without the ability to enforce court orders, and if citizens were free to disregard them at will, there would not be democracy but anarchy.”

Linde believes Tammen never grasped what his client tried to do.

“He never understood it. He kept coming back and talking about you can’t avoid punishment, people aren’t free to go out and break the law because they think it goes against their conscience. But that’s not what civil disobedience is, Civil disobedience, says, ‘I do this in the knowledge and the acceptance of being punished.’ So my client always knew that he would get something.”

In court, C.D. said, “I’ve never once gone after my child for the choice she made wanting to be a male…I only tried to prevent her from making a medical choice she might regret later.”

When asked if he planned to continue his campaign in the future, the father said he had already done his part, adding, “I pass the torch on.”

Tammen granted C.D.’s 46 days jailed in pre-trial custody to count towards the 180-day sentence. C.D.’s crowdfunding website, which contained materials in breach of the court orders, had raised more than $50,000. Tammen instructed the father to donate $30,000 to a children’s charity within six months of his release from jail. Linde also plans to appeal the fine.

Linde said his client’s goal was to raise public awareness on “the school programs [that teach gender fluidity and transgender concepts]; the Infants Act, which allows doctors to do what they’re doing legally; and rapid onset gender dysphoria…You and I are talking, where we wouldn’t have two years ago. These things are moving.”

When asked about his client’s mood following the long sentence, Linde said,

“Obviously, he’s not happy, he would rather it didn’t happen…He doesn’t object to being sentenced…[but feels] he’s been singled out somehow, misunderstood…

“He pled guilty. And his evidence was that he had accomplished what he set out to accomplish. He never asked for any of this. He was a defendant…And he just wants to go back to live as much as he can the life he had before all this happened to him.”

Harding is a Western Standard reporter based in Saskatchewan

Continue Reading

Recent Posts

Recent Comments



Copyright © Western Standard New Media Corp.