fbpx
Connect with us

News

Kenney extends Alberta COVID lockdown under cloud of UCP travel scandal

The BC government also announced they were extending their lockdown through February 5

mm

Published

on

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney has announced the provincial COVID-19 lockdown will be extended through January 21.

That marks a week-long extension to the original lockdown announced last month, which cancelled Christmas for most Albertans.

Kenney said the current high positivity rate of 6.4 per cent is one of the reasons for extending the lockdowns.

He announced 24 more COVID deaths Wednesday bringing the provincial total to 1,217.

Kenney noted hospitalizations and the number of new cases remain high, compared to the rest of Canada.

Despite the lockdown extension, Kenney also announced all school in-class learning will resume on Monday.

“I want to recognize the effort of school staff, teachers and parents to follow health measures and help us keep classrooms safe for Alberta students. I’m confident this effort will continue and we’ll see a successful return to in-person learning to the benefit of all students,” said Kenney.

Thursday was the first time Kenney has faced the press since a scandal engulfed the UCP, with at least 10 MLAs and staff jetting out of the country on holiday, despite health recommendations against non-essential travel.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, a close confidante of Jason Kenney who is also a former Tory cabinet minister, told the Western Standard it is “inconceivable” the premier didn’t know one of his cabinet ministers had travelled during the holidays.

The scandal cost UCP MLA Tracy Allard her cabinet position, as municipal affairs minister, and Kenney’s chief-of-staff his job.

Kenney said Albertans will be “particularly frustrated” with the continued lockdown measures, in light of the snowbird scandal. He called news of UCP travellers was “insulting” and added “trust was broken.”

“I apologize. I accept responsibility,” said Kenney.

He called the international UCP exodus a “breakdown in caucus discipline.”

Kenney said he only heard about his chief-of-staff Jamie Huckabay’s travel plans to the U.K. “when he was on the way to the airport.” He vowed to get his caucus back to a “culture of discipline.”

When asked whether the scandal meant he had lost the moral authority to continue with lockdowns, Kenney responded he “had a solitary Christmas” noting his 83-year-old mother is the only relative he has in the province.

“You can’t govern according to a Twitter hashtag,” he said.

Meanwhile, in BC, its restrictions have been extended until February 5, or “the next two incubation periods,” said provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry.

Over the past 24 hours, 761 cases of COVID-19 were found along with eight more deaths, bringing the provincial total to 970.

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard and the Vice-President: News Division of Western Standard New Media Corp. He has served as the City Editor of the Calgary Sun and has covered Alberta news for nearly 40 years. dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com

Continue Reading
8 Comments

8 Comments

  1. Charles Martell III

    January 9, 2021 at 3:54 pm

    After all it is Flu Season . . . people get sick every year.
    The Tyrants just don’t want to stop.

    In BC they are now adding ALL deaths in Seniors’ Homes to keep up the scam . . . they say the average stay of an elderly person in one of these homes is only about 12 months . . .

    Dr. Henry . . . who to my knowledge has never had any education in National Emergencies or anything similar had no friggin clue. Add in the BC Premier Horgan, NDP hack & Arts graduate . . . no experience there either.

    Every year 38000 people die in BC . . .
    somehow 700+ is a serious concern, average age over 80, is a Pandemic?

  2. Joan

    January 8, 2021 at 11:59 am

    good! as long as the numbers are up then we need to be in lockdown, whether there is scandal or not. Two separate subjects, even though, yes, I know, the scandal revolves around so called special people breaking the lockdown…

    • Charles Martell III

      January 9, 2021 at 3:58 pm

      Lockdowns bring people closer together . . . most infections are developed at home.

      There is ZERO evidence to show Lockdowns work, yet our feckless Politicians keep doing this over and over . . . expecting a Different Result? That is the definition of Insanity.
      Zero evidence that Masks help as well . . .

      Statistician: Lockdowns Don’t Work Because They Force People To Congregate In Fewer Places
      https://www.zerohedge.com/covid-19/statistician-lockdowns-dont-work-because-they-force-people-congregate-fewer-places?__s=txld14ep0bxlzqcg76m0
      Author and statistician William M. Briggs argues that lockdowns don’t work because they force people to gather in fewer places like supermarkets and therefore spread viruses faster than if people were allowed to spread out.

  3. David Elson

    January 8, 2021 at 8:39 am

    The great reset?

    Don’t you just love communist slogans?

    How many people died as a result of the “Great Leap”? The only difference is now the socialists are well aware of how many people will die.

  4. Ron Hierath

    January 8, 2021 at 6:04 am

    Again slanted journalism using a “former Tory cabinet minister” (un-named source) to call Kenney of lying

  5. godot

    January 7, 2021 at 8:59 pm

    Kenney has been taking lessons from BoJo.

    Kids back to school, small businesses shut down. Meanwhile the big box stores are posting record profits. Still, this is the plan laid out for the Great Reset, so Kenney is playing his part.

  6. warrenzoell

    January 7, 2021 at 6:43 pm

    Hey Kenney!! repeating the same thing over and over again won’t get you a different result.
    And where is this 6.4% coming from?

  7. LoveUnity

    January 7, 2021 at 4:33 pm

    For a different view of this “scandal,” check out Chris Selley in todays National Post, where he says he’s going to a for away island for a few weeks.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

News

Hundreds of Albertans protest in front of UCP MLA offices over COVID restrictions

So just a few hours after Kenney brought in the new restrictions on Wednesday, ready they were – and about a dozen MLA offices were picketed.

mm

Published

on

He knew they couldn’t stop the government from bringing in even more COVID-19 restrictions, but Jordon Kosik wanted to be ready to show his displeasure.

Operating two Facebook groups, Holding MLAs Accountable and Closed for Fall, Kosik had his 17,000 members ready to protest just hours after Premier Jason Kenney brought in a fourth COVID-19 lockdown, which this time includes vaccination passports.

“A couple of weeks ago, we knew something was happening,” Kosik said in a Thursday interview with the Western Standard.

Protest in front of Nathan Cooper’s office. Photo courtesy Holding MLAs Accountable

“There was nothing we could do to stop it, but what we could do is get ready.”

So just a few hours after Kenney brought in the new restrictions on Wednesday, ready they were – and about a dozen MLA offices were picketed.

Some had a handful of people show up, while others had scores of people.

“This was on organic protest, people in their own ridings,” said Kosik.

And Kovik thinks this won’t be the end of restrictions, with more likely in a couple of weeks.

“To get ready for that we have to network, network, network,” Koik said.

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Continue Reading

News

Vancouver gangster killed in daylight shooting

Several news sources said the homicide victim was well-known in Vancouver’s illicit drug trade.

mm

Published

on

Vancouver cops are on the hunt for an armed killer after a gangster was slain Wednesday during a daylight shooting in Vancouver’s core area.

Amandeep Manj, 35, a known member of the United Nations gang, was shot about 3:30 p.m while sitting inside his car in the parking lot of the Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel near Canada Place.

Soon after he bloodied body was discovered, paramedics raced to the lot, but Manj was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police said they’re convinced the shooting was a targeted hit.

Several news sources said the homicide victim was well-known in Vancouver’s illicit drug trade.

Manj’s brother, Jodh Manj, also died a violent death three years ago when he was killed while leaving a Mexico City gym.

Vancouver Police Const. Tania Visintin told the Vancouver Sun Manj is the city’s 13th homicide of 2021.

She told the paper officers responded to level three of the parkade near Cordova and Burrard streets “after a man was found unresponsive by a witness.” 

Police have made no arrests in the case, and ask anyone who may have information about the shooting to contact Vancouver police.

Continue Reading

News

COVID vaccines changing their names

The FDA approved new names in the US earlier this summer.

mm

Published

on

What’s in a name? Plenty, apparently, when it comes to COVID-19 vaccines in Canada.

Health Canada announced Thursday it will accept the change in new brand names of the three most common vaccines Pfizer, Moderna and Oxford-AstraZeneca.

The Moderna vaccine will go by SpikeVax and the AstraZeneca vaccine will be named Vaxzevria.

The Pfizer vaccine will now be called Comirnaty, which the company said represents a combination of the terms COVID-19, mRNA, community, and immunity.

CBC said the vaccines didn’t go by their brand name initially, but now that new and more long-term data has been submitted and approved they will go by their permanent name.

Canada is still expected to receive vials labelled Pfizer-BioNTech for the next several months.

The FDA approved new names in the US earlier this summer.

Continue Reading

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Share

Petition: No Media Bailouts

We the undersigned call on the Canadian government to immediately cease all payouts to media companies.

339 signatures

No Media Bailouts

The fourth estate is critical to a functioning democracy in holding the government to account. An objective media can't maintain editorial integrity when it accepts money from a government we expect it to be critical of.

We the undersigned call on the Canadian government to immediately cease all payouts to media companies.

**your signature**



The Western Standard will never accept government bailout money. By becoming a Western Standard member, you are supporting government bailout-free and proudly western media that is on your side. With your support, we can give Westerners a voice that doesn\'t need taxpayers money.

Share this with your friends:

Trending

Copyright © Western Standard New Media Corp.