fbpx
Connect with us

News

Kenney calls on feds to use sanctions on US after Keystone cancellation

Calling it a “direct attack on the Canadian economy”, Kenney said if federal efforts fail to save the pipeline, Alberta may be forced to “further efforts for a Fair Deal.”

mm

Published

on

An angry Alberta Premier Jason Kenney called on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to slam economic sanctions on the US if new President Joe Biden can’t be persuaded to let the Keystone XL project proceed.

Calling it a “gut punch” Kenney noted 2,000 pipeline workers across Alberta were being fired Wednesday afternoon and demanded Trudeau fight “the insulting actions of the US.

“I call on Prime Minister Trudeau to ask the new administration to sit down and discuss the issue. Surely that is the least… they owe Canada.

Kenney said if negotiations fail, he was calling on Trudeau to “install meaningful economic sanctions and it will be a dangerous precedent if they don’t.”

Calling it a “direct attack on the Canadian economy”, Kenney said if federal efforts fail to save the pipeline, Alberta may be forced to “further efforts for a Fair Deal.”

He did not elaborate what those “further” efforts may be.

Kenney said Biden may have been emboldened to cancel the project because of Canada’s weak response when President Barack Obama first killed it in 2015.

The premier noted how Canada fought back against President Donald Trump when he attacked aluminum and steel workers and the Ontario auto industry.

“Trudeau just didn’t accept the sanctions, he fought them,” said Kenney.

“Surely hundreds of thousands of energy workers deserve such a defence.”

He said groups in the US trying to shut down other projects – like Enbridge Line 5 in Michigan – would be buoyed by the lack of push-back from Canada.

Kenney noted the energy industry exports $90 billion worth of products to the US – twice the amount generated through auto trade.

He called the Biden move “deeply disturbing” and admitted “Albertans are right to be skeptical” about Trudeau’s efforts to try and save the pipeline.

“This is an insult directed at the United States’ most important ally,” said Kenney.

“It is disrespectful not even to talk to Canada. Thousands of union workers are being fired at this very moment.

Earlier in the day, Calgary-based TC Energy said they are halting work on the US$8billion pipeline expansion project.

“TC Energy is disappointed with the expected action to revoke the existing Presidential Permit for the Keystone XL pipeline. The decision would overturn an unprecedented, comprehensive regulatory process that lasted more than a decade and repeatedly concluded the pipeline would transport much needed energy in an environmentally responsible way while enhancing North American energy security,” the company said in a statement

“The action would directly lead to the layoff of thousands of union workers and negatively impact ground-breaking industry commitments to use new renewable energy as well as historic equity partnerships with Indigenous communities.

“TC Energy will review the decision, assess its implications, and consider its options. However, as a result of the expected revocation of the Presidential Permit, advancement of the project will be suspended.”

Alberta has $7.5 billion tied up in the project – a $1.5 billion cash infusion to owner TC Energy and $6 billion in loan guarantees. Cancellation of the project could prove to be ruinous to Alberta’s economy, and catastrophic to its government finances.

Kenney told the Wednesday press conference he had “no regrets” about staking so much taxpayers’ money on the project.

“Any responsible government would have made that decision or the project would have died last year,” said Kenney.

Kenney has vowed to sue if Biden cancels the project.

During the Democratic primaries and campaign, Biden vowed to kill the pipeline, large portions of which have already been built in Alberta. He made the vow before Alberta invested it’s money.

Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris, have also said in the past they would put an end to fracking, a promise they did not repeat during the campaign.

The Keystone pipeline runs from Alberta to refineries in Illinois and Texas.

The new pipeline would have run from Hardisty, Alberta to Steele City, Nebraska.

Trudeau vowed to continuing fighting for the pipeline, citing a phone call he made to Biden in November as an example of his efforts.

Opposition Leader Erin O’Toole called the cancellation of the project “devastating.”

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
TWITTER: Twitter.com/nobby7694

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard and the Vice-President: News Editor of Western Standard New Media Corp. He has served as the City Editor of the Calgary Sun and has covered Alberta news for nearly 40 years. dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com

Continue Reading
14 Comments

14 Comments

  1. RussellTurner

    January 21, 2021 at 1:50 pm

    Trudeau has been clear and consistent in his goals. His intent is to shutdown the oilsands and to reduce Canada’s emissions to zero. Canceling XL is consistent with those goals. Kenney makes a huge mistake in thinking his adversary gives more importance to economic outcomes than to emission outcomes. With Biden as President, Trudeau will be empowered to cancel the TMX pipeline next.

  2. working ant

    January 21, 2021 at 10:17 am

    If there ever was a need for an example of “Trudeau indifference”, this is a classic. Where are the other Western Canadian premiers? They are all conspicuous by their absence here, either hoping that they won’t feel any negative spin-off from this or “not my problem” attitude. Maverick Party has just been handed a huge incentive – make the most of it please..!

  3. That's Dr. #SAND to you...

    January 21, 2021 at 10:11 am

    Why is he wasting his time with that stupidity?

    Western Canada has to separate.

  4. Cytotoxic

    January 20, 2021 at 10:01 pm

    “He did not elaborate what those “further” efforts may be.”

    Because there’s no such reasonable efforts to be made. Applying ‘sanctions’ is akin to hurting your opponent by hurting yourself. The only thing Kenney can do is sue, and he should. He and the rest of Alberta should also separate.

    ““Any responsible government would have made that decision or the project would have died last year,” said Kenney.”

    God what an idiot.

    EDIT: Alberta needs its own domestic oil market. That means one thing: we need tens no hundreds of millions of immigrants in short order.

    • Guest

      January 21, 2021 at 2:31 am

      Albertan domestic oil market sounds like a good idea 💡.

      Now Premier Kenney gets gun ho on a Fair Deal? Sorry Premier to little and definitely to late to mean anything after two years of nothing.

  5. BabyItsColdOutside

    January 20, 2021 at 9:20 pm

    Warren Buffett will make huge profits with his tanker rail cars to transport the crude because he is a big Democrat party donor. That is how it works, Democrats to enrich the rich.

  6. Guest

    January 20, 2021 at 8:06 pm

    You are a double minded man Premier Kenney. “direct attack on the Canadian economy”, Kenney said if federal efforts fail to save the pipeline, Alberta may be forced to “further efforts for a Fair Deal.”

    What happened to being a staunch Federalists? Prior to that statement you made after you were elected Premier you were saying exactly the same thing about a Fair Deal.

    You just proved to Albertans that you had no notion of fighting for a fair deal for Alberta. Two years along noting but study after study you now force the Fair Deal mantra. I call that the Bull Shit doctrine.

    I don’t believe you and I doubt many other Albertans don’t believe you either.

  7. Ron Voss

    January 20, 2021 at 9:27 pm

    If federal efforts fail to save the pipeline, Alberta may be forced to “further efforts for a Fair Deal.” What efforts? Using as a negotiating position that which should have been expeditiously advanced by now.

  8. joc22

    January 20, 2021 at 7:14 pm

    Kenney is a disgrace, if he thought for 1 minute that the SoyBoy would stand up for Alberta he’s a bigger simp than I thought he was.
    So what now Mr. Kenney?? Where’s the Plan B?? is there one
    Did you actually think the SoyBoy would stand against globalist buddies in the Demoncrat party, Ha that’s a laugh. Did you think that the sock boy would puff out his chest, if one can call that a chest, and bang his shoe on the podium like Khrushchev, to protect the aluminum and steel industry in Ontario and Quebec, your a fool.

  9. That's Dr. #SAND to you...

    January 20, 2021 at 6:35 pm

    Justy bought a new pair of socks.
    What more can he be expected to do?

  10. ninetyninepct

    January 20, 2021 at 6:01 pm

    Keystone is dead.

    Americans employed in any position, for any company, in any business, will be expected to be south of the Border by the end on the month, to be replaced by Canadians. If you see an American vehicle, kick it. If you hear an American accent, tell them they have to leave by the end of the month.

    • That's Dr. #SAND to you...

      January 20, 2021 at 6:35 pm

      You’re an idiot.

    • Guest

      January 20, 2021 at 8:11 pm

      Can’t say that I agree with you on that ninetyninepct ! Do NO Damage to anyone vehicle !!

      Don’t treat Americans or paint them with the same brush because President Biden is causing Albertans to suffer. There are a lot of Americans out of work today because of Biden’s Executive Order (EO) on the Key Stone Pipeline. Democratic states where the pipeline is going through probably won’t support Biden’s EO when it comes to a vote. It’s not over yet.

    • RussellTurner

      January 21, 2021 at 1:55 pm

      I disagree. Many Americans are in the same battle we are in.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

News

Police on the hunt for armed killer who gunned down man in Coquitlam Park

Dozens of witnesses potentially saw the shooting occur.

mm

Published

on

Police are calling on the public to help them locate the person responsible for killing a 20-year-old man next to a basketball court, where there may have been more than a dozen witnesses.

On April 19, about 6:30 p.m., Coquitlam RCMP members rushed to Town Centre Park to investigate calls of a shooting.

When police arrived, they found Bailey McKinney lying on the ground. He was pronounced dead at scene.

“We believe this was a case of an individual being targeted for murder and not the park itself,” said Sgt. Frank Jang, of the RCMP’s Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT).

“Unfortunately, we know too well that these types of events can happen in any community.”

IHIT has control of the investigation and is working closely with the Coquitlam RCMP, the Integrated Forensic Identification Services and the B.C. Coroners Service to gather evidence.

Now police are looking for anyone who might have seen something, or has other information that would help Mounties nab a suspect.

“We are aware that there were several people in the immediate area when the shooting occurred,” Jang said.

“Many of them fled the scene, understandably, from the shock of having witnessed a shooting. However, if you were one of those people, we need you to come forward now.”

McKinney was known to police, and cops said he had conflict with certain individuals who may be responsible for his murder.

McKinney was due to be in court next month for a litany of charges — including drug charges and assault with a weapon, to using a firearm during a criminal offence, and uttering threats to kill or cause bodily harm — acquired late September when he was involved in crimes in Coquitlam.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the IHIT Information Line at 1-877-551-IHIT (4448) or by email at ihitinfo@rcmp-grc.gc.ca

Mike D’Amour is the British Columbia Bureau Chief for the Western Standard.
mdamour@westernstandardonline.com

Continue Reading

News

They’re home! Police give pupdate on stolen bulldog babies

Three American Bulldog puppies were stolen April 10 during a break and enter.

mm

Published

on

With dogged determination, Surrey Mounties have recovered the last two of three puppies stolen 10 days ago.

Three American Bulldog puppies were stolen April 10 during a break and enter at a home in the 17400 block of 8 Avenue.

One of the three stolen pups was quickly returned to the owners two days later, on April 12, when officers, acting on public tips, located one of the puppies that had been sold to an unwary attendee at a car show in Mission, BC.

Then, four days ago, Surrey RCMP Property Crime Target Team found the remaining two puppies. The wee pooches were returned to their owner and then reunited with their mom.
 
RCMP did not give details of the rescue, but did note the owners are very grateful to the public.

“Everyone feels good about being able to return these little pups to their family, and it was made even better by the fact we did it with help from the public,” said Cpl. Dan Barrows, of the Surrey RCMP Property Crime Target Team, said in a release.

“This was a rewarding investigation for our officers.”

The puppies — valued at about $3,000 apiece — were last seen snuggling their mom.

Mike D’Amour is the British Columbia Bureau Chief for the Western Standard. mdamour@westernstandardonline.com

Continue Reading

News

B.C. father of transgender girl to appeal sentence and fine

The father reached a plea bargain deal for a 45-day sentence and 18 months probation – but B.C. Supreme Court Justice Michael Tammen decided to sentence C.D. to six months in jail.

mm

Published

on

The B.C. father of a teenaged girl given male hormones against his wishes will appeal his sentence and fine for criminal contempt of court.

C.D., as he was known in court documents, pleaded guilty to the charges last week and was sentenced on Friday. He defied orders not disclose details that would reveal his child’s identity or that of the doctors responsible for cross-gender treatment. 

The father reached a plea bargain deal with prosecutors who recommended a 45-day sentence and 18 months probation. However, B.C. Supreme Court Justice Michael Tammen decided instead to sentence C.D. to six months in jail.

C.D.’s lawyer Carey Linde told the Western Standard he hopes to get his client out on bail while he appeals the sentence.

“We’re doing the bureaucratic steps to try to get him out,” Linde said.

“It depends on what the Crown’s position is going to be. And they’re not going to take a position until they can read the judgment. And the judgment has not been posted yet.”

Linde believes the sentence is excessive, especially given the plea deal.

“The responses that I’m getting from lawyers who are criminal lawyers say that…it’s absurd,” Linde said.

In his decision, Tammen said: “I do not accept (the father’s) intention was otherwise than to attempt to undermine the authority of the courts and overall administration of justice… Moreover, I expressly reject (the father’s) sworn assertion … that he had no desire to share information that would harm (the child).”

Linde said: “The judge has gone off the deep end of law and order. Why? He gave a very reasoned argument, if you agree with him…justifying draconian measures.”

In his decision, Tammen said: “No member of the public can decide when, in what circumstances and which court orders to follow… Unless and until successfully appealed, court orders must be obeyed. They are part of the legal fabric of society and, thus, the law. Without the ability to enforce court orders, and if citizens were free to disregard them at will, there would not be democracy but anarchy.”

Linde believes Tammen never grasped what his client tried to do.

“He never understood it. He kept coming back and talking about you can’t avoid punishment, people aren’t free to go out and break the law because they think it goes against their conscience. But that’s not what civil disobedience is, Civil disobedience, says, ‘I do this in the knowledge and the acceptance of being punished.’ So my client always knew that he would get something.”

In court, C.D. said, “I’ve never once gone after my child for the choice she made wanting to be a male…I only tried to prevent her from making a medical choice she might regret later.”

When asked if he planned to continue his campaign in the future, the father said he had already done his part, adding, “I pass the torch on.”

Tammen granted C.D.’s 46 days jailed in pre-trial custody to count towards the 180-day sentence. C.D.’s crowdfunding website, which contained materials in breach of the court orders, had raised more than $50,000. Tammen instructed the father to donate $30,000 to a children’s charity within six months of his release from jail. Linde also plans to appeal the fine.

Linde said his client’s goal was to raise public awareness on “the school programs [that teach gender fluidity and transgender concepts]; the Infants Act, which allows doctors to do what they’re doing legally; and rapid onset gender dysphoria…You and I are talking, where we wouldn’t have two years ago. These things are moving.”

When asked about his client’s mood following the long sentence, Linde said,

“Obviously, he’s not happy, he would rather it didn’t happen…He doesn’t object to being sentenced…[but feels] he’s been singled out somehow, misunderstood…

“He pled guilty. And his evidence was that he had accomplished what he set out to accomplish. He never asked for any of this. He was a defendant…And he just wants to go back to live as much as he can the life he had before all this happened to him.”

Harding is a Western Standard reporter based in Saskatchewan

Continue Reading

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Share

Trending

Copyright © Western Standard New Media Corp.